Home: Behavioral Problems: Humping Problem:
Help!!!!!

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2004, 5:19 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4776 views)
Shortcut
Help!!!!! Can't Post

Help! My pup, male : 5 months starts humping on ppl leg. n even my leg. Can u give me any suggestion about this?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2004, 5:32 AM

Post #2 of 5 (4766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Help!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he will stop humping when he is older. But, at the moment you can't do much for the humping.Frown You just let him hump lor. LOL just joking ya.Wink

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2004, 6:18 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney, chrisong] ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

A male dog at between 5 to 6 months is maturing from pup to young dog ... Humping is a natural action for all dogs (both male & female) ...

At 5 months, your dog is simply reacting to his hormones and may still not be quite sure what it is all about ... but soon (very soon) it will be a significant act ... not just for reproduction, but as a sign of "domoninance" ...

For dogs (both make & female) the issue of dominance is an issue of "ranking" within the pack (namely, the family) and will involved both the dogs & people in the family ...

The determinance of dominance, will determine who is alpha (on top of the pack), who is at the bottom, and who occupies the spaces in between.

For male dogs particularly ... the issue of dominance will occupy much of its time and is a significant element of its existence ...

Since your dog is just starting humping ... the best time to train him is NOW ... not when your dog is older, and dominance is a much more serious issue ...

If you continue to allow him to hump you or other members of the family, the signal that you will be giving your dog is that HE is dominant over the rest of you ... If you allow this, then you will find it more difficult to train your dog and get him to obey you.

Suggestions:

(A) When he starts to hump ... stop him immediately - you can do this by:

(i) Saying NOOOOOO (in a low growly voice) ... and expect him to stop. If he does not stop, say NOOOO again (louder this time, using a low tone) ... If he still continues ... control him by holding to his collar and moving him away from your leg ... while saying NOOOOO.

Keep your hand on his collar and control/restain him ... wait till he settles down before you let him go.

If he trys to hump again ... repeat the above ...

Through out the whole exercise, DO NOT sit, kneel or come to his level ... keep standing OVER the dog ... in this way, you show that you are dominant over your dog and he must obey your command to stop.

Once he stops ... continue restraining him for a little while ... then priase & treat.

(B) As you can see, if you have already started training your dog the basic commands of ... SIT, STAY, RECALL & NO ... it is much easier to handle this habit of humping ... So, start training your dog ...

Use the Search Function and check the words ... "dominance" and "basic training" ... these topics have been much discussed and you will find lots of information there.

If you wish to "Be a better owner than the others" then you must also learn about dog behaviour and training ... The best way to become a better owner is to learn to understand your dog, dog behaviour & dog language ... Do some research on the net for information ... get a good dog training manual and good dog behaviour book ...

All the best

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 4, 2004, 6:21 PM)

amy
Novice

Oct 5, 2004, 11:30 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Help!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog also hump. He's 1 yr old. Whenever he does that we will shout NO!!! and pull him away or throw his fav toy so that he will stop. When he's young he will hump me or my sis. Now not anymore except my grandma who visit us on the weekend.

Also if we really excite him, he will hum us too. FunnyMad

~~For better or worse, through sickness and health, for the good times and bad times you will always be my no. 1 lexicon~~
@-->In loving memory of Lassie<--@

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 15, 2004, 10:02 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong,amy] Help!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why must they hump? Is it like bad?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my