Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
OCTOBER 2004 - PAWS' WISH LIST

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2004, 12:44 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2590 views)
Shortcut
OCTOBER 2004 - PAWS' WISH LIST Can't Post

This is the second wishlist thread posted to reach out to our dog lovers and supporters. There was really good response from dog lovers on this forum last month and the animals at PAWS are grateful for all the wonderful donations and volunteered time.

We will update the list for this month and indicate project needs if any. For those new to this post, having a new wish list every month will keep the thread short, current and relevant to the month.

Volunteers@Work

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2004, 1:15 AM

Post #2 of 14 (2587 views)
Shortcut
STANDARD WISH LIST ITEMS [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Rice (PAWS uses 100 kg in less than a week)
2. Old Towels and rags to keep puppies/ newborn kittens dry and warm
3. Puppy toys to keep them amused
4. Any kind of Dog and Puppy Food (can or dry )
5. ---this item has been removed---
6. Paints (especially mould proof ones), spraypaints and canned paints
7. ---this item has been removed---
8. Bottles of bleach for cleaning and disinfecting (more pls)
9. ---this item has been removed---
10. Puppy chews. Made from cow skin, it is very good for their teeth and lasts a few weeks.
11. Rags and sponges for cleaning
12. Spray bottles (used empty bottles with a spray snout)
13. Brooms and brushes
14. Flea medication (Advantage or Frontline).
15. Used CD plastic sleeves. The kind that you get VCDs and DVDs in at the shops. It is like a clear plastic slip cover with pre punched holes. It can be used to display a dog's record or a cage's cleaning schedule.
16. ---this item has been removed---
17. ---this item has been removed---
18. ---this item has been removed---
19. Dog vitamins
20. A few new toilet brushes
21. Everyday foodstuff (veg, fruits or tit-bits) for the Burmese 'volunteers' there

If you are considering donating money, you may be contributing more effectively by asking for a membership form and filling that in. Its RM20 for a year's membership and RM200 for a lifetime membership. The money goes into the same pot and pays for the Vet's salary etc.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2004, 4:29 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2546 views)
Shortcut
A VAN OR LORRY [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with all the uncertainties at PAWS, the charity still needs to collect saw dust for cat litter, chicken bits and food donations, as well as collect/deliver stuff from the VP's house.

It was truly sickening that the vet gave an excuse 'the van is not in service' when a volunteer called them to rescue a dog from the roadside in Subang (happened two Sundays ago). He had the phone numbers of volunteers and committee members who had cars (if their van had really broken down), and a wonderful team of Burmese workers that knew exactly what to do.

Fortunately the SPCA came to the rescue in the end.

Well, PAWS does not want to fork out RM42K for a new mini van, but have not gone out to look at second hand ones that are availble below RM20K. And since they are probably saving their money for their UK RSPCA designed state-of-the art animal shelter... I think the animals will be the ones who lose out eventually. And of course this is only my opinion...

---------------------PAWS NEED----------------------
A small van or lorry. In good working order if possible.
Please consider leasing it for a nominal fee, and some volunteers and donors will try to pool some money to pay for it monthly.

---------------------TIME FRAME-------------------
Urgently needed now. No more excuses from PAWS not to collect injured dogs and cats thenafter.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2004, 2:26 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2393 views)
Shortcut
TESCO Rice - RM 10.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

It is normally RM13.99. PAWS do comsume 100Kg a week at least. Will be really good if someone can buy 50 kg or more.

Pls do not give them money until their accounts are made transparent. Just food and items that they really need.

joyie

Nov 8, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] TESCO Rice - RM 10.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cynhor,

how can we donate all those stuffs or $$? we hav to go to PAWS to get the form rite? and do u mind telling me, if i wanna volunter over there, do i hav to fill in anything or just drop by and tell them i'm here to help?
thx a lot!

SmileSmileSmile
joyie @ tomFrown

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2004, 7:39 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joyie] TESCO Rice - RM 10.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for response.

Unlike the SPCA, PAWS isn't all that well organised. If you want to volunteer, you should call the Vet in Charge first.

Let him know what day and time, then go in and sign up on the register book. The Vet claims that he has the right to tell you what to do, but don't let him bully you. The place is sometimes run like his own back yard.

You will be much better prepared if you go in and talk to the Burmese boys or any of the other regular volunteers there. The puppy cages always have newspapers that need changing, same for the cat cages. If you don't mind getting wet, there is a whole lot of cleaning to be done. Most of the adult dogs need to be bathed.

If you want to donate things like rice, make sure you fill up another book. They sometimes let this slip and of course donated items grow legs and walk. Quite often its the committee that is responsible, so be warned first. I have personally seen it happen. Dog rice is a safe bet, and they are always in need of puppy food (>3 months).

joyie

Nov 9, 2004, 9:46 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2326 views)
Shortcut

thx for letting me know and no prob! i'm planning to volunteer during holidays but still not sure bout that... anyway thx!

SmileSmileSmile
joyie@tomFrown

nugget
Novice

Jan 4, 2005, 6:55 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] A VAN OR LORRY [In reply to] Can't Post

---------------------PAWS NEED----------------------
A small van or lorry. In good working order if possible.
Please consider leasing it for a nominal fee, and some volunteers and donors will try to pool some money to pay for it monthly.

I heard their van is still not fixed up and can't be used. The animals really need our help here! Doesn't anyone have connections or know someone who can help PAWS find a lorry to use?? Come on people, there must be someone who can help out here!

j9yne

Jan 4, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Hi..

You mentioned that there's a book to fill up when we go to donate stuffs. Well we went to PAWS twice to donate some things (towels, collars, comb and 2 bags of kibbles)... but we weren't shown any book to fill in Unsure. I hope those poor doggies got what we donated Crazy.

I read in another thread that there's a board with instructions for volunteers.. does this mean we can drop by anytime.. and just pick any "job" to do? I might want to drop by to walk the dogs when i'm free.

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2005, 6:08 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne] TESCO Rice - RM 10.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

I AM SHOCKED!!! It is standard procedure to ensure that all donations are recorded as things can grow legs and walk off. Can you describe who receive the goods from you please?

Yes, the volunteer board contains a list of things to do. Just pick any and ask one of the boys for help is you need to know where things are.

Thanks so much for bringing in the food donation. We will follow up.

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Jan 4, 2005, 6:12 PM)

j9yne

Jan 4, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2176 views)
Shortcut

It was an Indian man who received the things but I don't know who he is. Anyway I didn't bring this up to stir up trouble. I just wanted to ask about the book so that I know what to do the next time I donate. Are we asked to fill in the book ourselves? Or will the people there fill it up? Maybe our donations were recorded after we leave.

And you're welcome.. I hope I can do more than just that.

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2005, 4:52 PM

Post #12 of 14 (2086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne] TESCO Rice - RM 10.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry about getting people into trouble. The office workers have been told before and they choose to ignore it. It is just a record of goods being received.
You were supposed to be given a book to sign when you bring in things, regardless of size of donations.

In the past, they claim that only rice would be recorded, but we found that Frontline Sprays (at RM68 a piece) were not. It is just horrid what goes on there. But keep in mind that if you do record, then the goods will be less likely to be misplaced or forgotten about.

Just keep that in mind the next time you go in.

smuffz
New User

Jan 25, 2005, 10:41 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] OCTOBER 2004 - PAWS' WISH LIST [In reply to] Can't Post

i wuz just wondering who is the one who actually owns PAWS cuz i think that they should do something about the place or maybe sell it off to someone who is willing to make an improvement to the place. One more thing is that, does PAWS actually have a commitee to help them organize the place cuz if they would to have one, than things shall be much easier and well, i would love to join in to. i went to the place a couple of times helping them but seriously, i didn't have to sign any book or ask permission from the vet there. all i had to do is just walk in and off the place even without seeing the vet there. all i know is that the vet is an indian guy. not sure if that's true???? so what could we do to help them??????? is there any possible way that we would to form a commitee to help these animals there cuz these animal there now are actually suffering in the eyes of many people. please mail me if anyone has any idea regarding the commitee thingy.

(This post was edited by Admin on Jan 25, 2005, 11:40 PM)

Liz Tay
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smuffz] OCTOBER 2004 - PAWS' WISH LIST [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Smuffz

Yes, there is a Committee in charge of PAWS. The Committee members are all volunteers and the staff are hired to run the place day-to-day.

The thing is, the place was managed by the same Committee for the past seven years until a new Committee was voted in just a month ago (Dec 26 2004) at the first AGM held since 1997... Basically there is much to be done to improve PAWS, you are right about that. Now the new Committee is trying to get to grips with everything they have inherited, and begin to make improvements. It will take a bit of time but things are beginning to change. Hopefully you will see great improvements in coming weeks and months, although PAWS will have to relocate soon so physical changes to the premises will probably be limited.

There is a Volunteer Register in the office even if nobody showed it to you. Please ask to sign in when you next go to help. If you put your contact number we can also call you if we have any special projects needing help. And, since you are interested to help the Committee, please ask for a membership form. For RM20 you can be an annual member of the PAWS Animal Welfare Society and have a say at the next AGM which will surely be held, as it should, later this year. Please keep your receipt safe as it will be proof of your membership.

If you have more questions and want an email contact, please write to another volunteer, Cynthia, cynhor@yahoo.com I am sure she will be happy to help.

Thanks for your interest and support!

Liz

Volunteer

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my