Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
how to train dog 'friend' with cat?

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jan 29, 2003, 7:45 AM

Post #1 of 5 (906 views)
Shortcut
how to train dog 'friend' with cat? Can't Post

recently i found 2 kittens behind my garden inside the empty box, i pity them so i adopted them. Unsure i guess they are not more than a month, still very young. however, anyone know how to train dog gentle and nice to cat? Crazy

i try to get jojo mix with the 2 kittens. beginning she just sniff them, later she touch them [i think she trying to play with them?] Crazybut the 2 kittens so small they dont know how to play with jojo... and just now, is my mistake too.. just a second i turn around to get something, jojo 'fetch' one of them and run away from me.Pirate

i m so scare she will kill the kitten, i try not to shout on her and make her more aggressive... and jojo look so excited she can 'bite' on one of them. even i used food as treat to ask her let go also no respond...Mad

i think she didnt put much force onto it, but still i heard the cat cry once or twice..Frown because jojo very rough and always play rough...Frown

anyone can advise me what should i do?CrazyCrazyCrazy
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 2:54 PM

Post #2 of 5 (889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] how to train dog 'friend' with cat? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you still have the cats, they should be older by now. Are you still having this problem? Fill me in on a couple more things, and maybe I can help you out a little. . .

1. How old is your dog?

2. I see on your profile that she is mixed. . .do you know what breeds she's mixed with? Looks kind of like a Pit Bull x Lab mix to me. . .

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Feb 20, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #3 of 5 (886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AjaSage] how to train dog 'friend' with cat? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. My kittens I think is still very young within a month old? I guess Jojo is Lab mix with mongrel, I saw their parents before, but both are street dogs hang around the coffee shop.

Jojo is not so aggressive as when times I just have the kittens. Some how she still 'doesn't like' when I try to play with the kittens. She will then bark and bark and bark non-stopCrazy. Normally I will feed her first and then feed the kittens. Jojo looks more aggressive when the kittens still need to feed by bottle milk, now not so as the kittens can eat in their bowl.

She 'know' I will punish her if she crab them using her mouth, so normally when all of them free, JOJO won't be too rough with them IF i'm near by. Otherwise she will use her paws step on them or grab them around the house..Unsure

If only the kittens are free and she is on lean then she will then bark non stop and look angry or sounds sad.Pirate

Please advise what shall I do? Thanks

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 8:03 PM

Post #4 of 5 (879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] how to train dog 'friend' with cat? [In reply to] Can't Post

Awwwe, she's fighting for your attention, LOL

Well, she is the dominant animal in the house as of now, so it is a good idea to continue to feed her first. . .as a matter of fact, whatever you do- do it with JoJo first. This will just reinforce the role of every animal in the house.

The reason I asked what breed she was is because she looked like she had Lab in her. Labs have a natural instinct to have "soft mouths" in other words. . .they won't normally bite too hard. This is because they're used as hunting dogs, and have to bring back game without damaging it. I wouldn't worry too much about her hurting the kittens when she grabs them, but I would scold her and really discourage it.

I still am not sure how old she is, though. Is JoJo still a pup? She may just be acting like a puppy in the way she treats the kittens Tongue if she knows it's bad to play too rough with them when you're around, then your best bet is to separate them when you can't be around. This way, no accidents will happen when you can't supervise.

Another idea is to put a leash on JoJo when you're handling the kittens. You said that she has problems when you try to spend time with them or take care of them, right? If she starts to be a little aggressive when you're doing stuff with the kittens, just grab the leash and give it a sharp, quick tug and tell her "no". The tug should not be too harsh, just enough to get her attention, but it should be very quick. If you tell her "no" while doing this, she will probably catch on pretty quick. It may take a couple tries, but whatever you do, be consistant with it. . .don't give little JoJo and inch- it will work much faster that way. Sometimes certain problems will get worse before they get better. That's just the dog's way of saying "Hey, see what I'm doing? Pay attention!" . . .or something like that Laugh Whatever you do though. . . continue with it for a while and be consistant.

Let me know how it goes!

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2003, 9:12 PM

Post #5 of 5 (865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AjaSage] how to train dog 'friend' with cat? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah.. I guess so, coz Jojo very manja one Unsure

She won't act too agressive when after she finished ALL her food then only I start feed the 2 kittens. Otherwise she will act angry and bark non-stop.Mad

Jojo is about coming 5 months now.. The kittens still very young, I will only let them play tog. short while under my supervise now. I guess after few months they should be able to get along... hopefully..Unsure

I will wait the 2 kittens grow older and when they can protect themselves getting hurt then only I will let them free.

Anyway, Thanks for your advise, It help me alots!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my