Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Holding it to go in the house.

Mini Bud
Novice

Sep 27, 2004, 8:33 PM

Post #1 of 2 (735 views)
Shortcut
Holding it to go in the house. Can't Post

Call me crazy but I think my Min-Pin is holding his waste just to deposit it in the house. He is out side all day and holds it to go in the house. I am going insane and I'm nothing short of banging my head into the wall. He is 4 years old and unaltered. I acquired him from a man who just couldn't keep him due to health reasons. He had him going on potty pads due to living in an apartment. I also have an apartment but I have a ground level yard. He does go out side at times but I would like it to be all of the time. Mini has chosen 3 separate places to do his business in the house and they are all on the carpet. One even right next to the back door and in my son's room. I think it's a dominace thing with my son. I went out and bought the potty pads and put them in all of his favorite places but I would like to eliminate all inside bathroom use by him. I know I am making him think it is ok go there by putting the pads down but I don't want him to just go on the carpet (which he will). So I would like to know if anyone has any advise or suggestions how I should go about retraining him. A lot of people tell me it is because isn't altered, I have thought about and I am open getting him altered. Do you think it would make a difference? Any and all positive responses will appreciated.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 28, 2004, 2:59 AM

Post #2 of 2 (724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mini Bud] Holding it to go in the house. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Dogs are very much creatures of habit ...

" ... I acquired him from a man who just couldn't keep him due to health reasons. He had him going on potty pads due to living in an apartment ..."

I would suspect that the above has a lot to do with it ... and not so much dominance, being unaltered or other such ...

After 4 years of eliminating indoors on pads ... as far as the dog understands, he is permitted and allowed to emininate indoors.

Retraining is definitely possible but will require much patience and consistency.

Now that you have got the pads, and have started laying the pads down indoors, take a pause and seriously consider where you wish the dog to eliminate - bathroom or outside ... Decide on one and fix it ...

To begin ... everytime the dog uses a pad ... lots of praise & even treats ... This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Get the dog focused on using the pads, the priase & treats will reinforce the lesson. The idea is to get the dog so focused on using the pads, that the location of the pads becomes secondary.

Slowly start removing the pads one by one ... leaving only one pad. Continually praise & treat ...

With that in mind, slowly (and I mean really slowly, rushing will probably cause more mistakes. Better to go slow and sure) move the last pad towards the desired location.

Remain consistent. If mistakes are made (that is to be expected) ... Avoid reprimanding your dog when mistakes are made (remember you are trying to retrain him out of a habit that was previously trained into the dog - its really not his fault) ... Reprimanding a dog when trying to house train or retrain house training, produces more negative than positive results.

Use the "search" function & check the threads on "housetraining".

During this period of moving, you have to keep an eye on the dog, if he looks like eliminating anywhere but on the pads, lead him back to a pad.

Just a thought: With a dog that is already trained to eliminate indoors - making the bathroom the location is probably gonna be easier than expecting the dog to ONLY eliminate outdoors.

Encourage the dog whenever he eliminates outdoors, but keep a pad in the bathroom for the dog's emergencies.

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my