Boxers

mikemcyap
Novice

Feb 25, 2002, 8:51 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3842 views)
Shortcut
Boxers Can't Post

Jason, since you own Boxers, I thought I'd ask you these questions:

1. From your knowledge/experience, how long is their average lifespan? 8-10 yrs or 10-14 yrs?
2. How do they adapt to the heat in Malaysia? Do you keep them outdoors all the time with their own kennels? Someone told me that dogs with short muzzles (Boxers, Bulldogs, Pugs) are better off in moderate climate. (I haven't seen a Bulldog in Malaysia but I once saw one in a show - UK - and it was a warm summer day; the poor dog was really uncomfortable and panting VERY heavily.)
3. You said they can be "destructive". What do you mean? They chew shoes and dig up your garden?
4. Have you heard of Boxers being susceptible to cancer?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 25, 2002, 9:00 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemcyap] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

If pug can survive in Malaysia, why not Boxer. When the weather is hot, you will have to pant heavily to get rid of the heat and keep their body cool Smile

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

mikemcyap
Novice

Feb 25, 2002, 9:36 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that Boxers have long been kept in Malaysia. But what I would like to know from owners is -- can they be kept outdoors (kennel with shade) comfortably? Or should they be kept mainly indoors?

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2002, 11:50 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3831 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mike,

Actually, I started to own boxers since August last year. I am quite new to the breed, but I have tried my best to get more knowledge through books, articles and forum discussion. As far as I know, the answers for your questions as below:

1. the average lifespan of a boxer is about 10-12 years.
2. I think boxers are well-adapted to the weather in Malaysia. As for my boxers, when they are puppies (below 5 months), I kept them indoor; as they grow older, I just let them to stay outside. One important thing to say is that boxers need a lot of fresh and clean water throughout the day. I am quite sure that there are many bulldogs as well as their breeders in Malaysia. They should be able to stand the heat also.
3. yes, boxers are very playful and affectionate dog. They are quite demanding and always need your accompany. I said they are destructive because during their puppy age, they like to chew up things, tear it off and play with it! May be this is due to the teething period as like other dogs.
4. Yes. Boxers seem to have a higher incidence of cancer due to an inherent immune, metabolic, or biochemical defect in the boxer's makeup.

Besides the above, I would say that boxers are quite intelligence and fearless guard dogs. So, interested to own one? If I notice there are litters, I will let you inform Smile.

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 26, 2002, 12:59 AM

Post #5 of 13 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Mike...please do not be worried about the Boxer not being able to survive in our climate..there are only two circumstances where you have to worry about the dog getting heat stroke...
1) if the dog is of a variety with long coat like chow chow or afgan hound..then maybe you have to pay attention a bit...but boxers are smooth coat so there shouldn't be a problem
2) Usually, dogs which take a longer time to adapt to our climate are imported dogs from colder climates like Australia, Uk, etc.....but they do eventually adept...only reason is they are not used to the heat...second and third generation dogs from this imported dog will not have this problem as they are born and breed here....

whether you want to keep the dog indoors or outdoors is up to you....maybe when you eventually get the dog and see which place he would rather prefer?? no two dogs are alike..??

.. )) -::-
. ))
((. .. -::- Rainbow -::-
-::- ((.*

(This post was edited by Rainbow on Feb 26, 2002, 1:23 AM)

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 26, 2002, 2:24 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with all the other people above... Boxers are short-coated, and can adapt very well to Malaysia's warm weather. Keeping him/her outdoors or indoors is up to you. I hope you decide to get one soon! Wink

-= Tisha =-

mikemcyap
Novice

Feb 26, 2002, 4:13 AM

Post #7 of 13 (3809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the input. Our Spitz is kept indoors at present but that is OK due to its small size. But if I ever do get a Boxer, I can't see my mother putting up with that - a large dog walking all over indoors!!! Crazy But I think it's just a matter of getting used to for the dog -- being kept outdoors. So long as there is deep shade and a kennel to shield the fella from the elements.

adrian
Novice

Feb 28, 2002, 6:45 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3794 views)
Shortcut

Hi All,

An Important note to bear in mind for those of you who have/intend to keep Boxers. They can have a very bad reaction to this and most vets are ignorant of this fact.

Atravet and Acepromazine should never be given to Boxers.

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

Adrian,

What type of medicine or chemical they are? The functions of them?Please further clarify, thanks.

Regards

adrian
Novice

Mar 1, 2002, 12:04 AM

Post #10 of 13 (3785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jason,

They are the one and same just different terms used by different manufacturers and parts of the world.

Acepromazine (Atravet, Acepro-25, etc) is one of the most commonly used tranquilizers in veterinary medicine. It is a phenothiazine compound. It is a common drug used in anesthetic protocols and should NEVER be used in Boxer's.

For Boxers, it can cause a problem - in lay man terms - a first degree heart block also know as a serious case of arrhythmia. It can also cause serious hypotention (dangerously lower the blood pressure) in Boxers although NOT ALL Boxers may experience this.

The reactions include sudden collapse, respiratory arrest (heart attack) and serious bradycardia (slow heart rate - less than 60 beats per minute)

This drug is the most commonly prescribed tranquilizer and is all the time prescribed for owners who want to tranquilize their dog for travel. It also is used for when the vet was to tranquilize the Dog to keep it calm just before they anesthise it? In addition, acepromazine seems to make it easier for dogs with seizure disorders to have a seizure.

This is a link for you in relation to the Boxer and this drug

http://members.aol.com/drboxer/aceprom.html

If your vet needs to be convinced then ask your vet to pull out their 'Handbook of Veterinary Drugs' and go to the section on ACEPROMAZINE. In this section (1993ed) It will say there :-

"Prolonged effects of the drug may be seen in older animals. Giant breeds, as well as greyhounds, appear quite sensitive to the clinical effects of the drug, yet terrier breeds appear more resistant. Boxer dogs, on the other hand, are predisposed to hypotensive and bradycardic effects of the drug."

If your vet does not have this handbook then .... He better check up on his 'library' as every Vet I know has this book or a book like it which describes the effects of the drug in the same sort of way.

I hope this helps and apologise for any spelling mistakes.

Adrian - Dogs are the Best people -

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2002, 12:21 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Adrian for your useful info and important notes.Smile
Hope to see you at The Mines on this coming event.

Regards

shanann
Novice

Mar 2, 2002, 12:50 AM

Post #12 of 13 (3770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

i was a boxer owner also. i have own 2 boxer including the one that is past away 2 years ago. right now i have a fawn male boxer he was about 2 years old. about your question..i think indoor or outdoor is not a problem because usually my mother will let him in our house during afternoon (hotday) and outdoor during night.but make sure you keep him clean and dry always.Smile

yup, boxer like to destroy the garden :) u know when he was a puppy he like to dig a hole in the garden and flower pot.that will make my mum angry but when u look at him is very cute...he just want to have fun..so make sure u give more time with him when u are free, they are active alwaysWink

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2002, 1:25 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shanann] Boxers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Shanann,

Thanks for for info.
About keeping indoor, how could you control him for not destroying your indoor properties??? and ... you let your big buddy to roam around in your living room?Tongue

Since you have owned them for a couple of years, could you point out major difficulties that you encountered?

Regards

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my