Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
What would happen if.....

Zazi
Novice

Sep 24, 2004, 12:39 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1656 views)
Shortcut
What would happen if..... Can't Post

there was an external push for changes? Right now it's people pushing from the inside... Maybe it should be people pushing from the outside.

What would happen if, people not connected to PAWS, just normal everyday people like myself who are concerned about PAWS and the fate of PAWS decided to be more pro-active. What if we took it upon ourselves to launch a 'People for PAWS' campaign.

The purpose of this campaign would not be to publicly under mine the present managment in any way. The purpose of this campaign would be to gather together the people that are in support of PAWS and work from the outside in, instead of the inside out.

The end point of this campaign is this: People for PAWS campaign manages to secure land, funds, and a new system which keeps PAWS running in a more efficient manner for many years to come, while generating a lot of public and media interest in the topic.

At the end of the day the present PAWS management will still have the option of declining or accepting the good faith work that the 'People for PAWS' campaign has done. Will it be difficult for them to turn it down? Well hopefully the 'People for PAWS' campaign will do such a good job that it will be impossible for them to say no.

I mean at the end of the day, wether there is or is not an AGM i think that... well... change is coming. It would be great if there were an AGM, but there doesn't HAVE to be one for concerned people to band together and create the avenues needed for changes to take place.

Anyway.... these are just my little musings...

responses welcome.

LS
Novice

Sep 24, 2004, 12:55 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zazi] What would happen if..... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the way to go. A true leader in the making.
I believe your idea is intune with many others.
One vote here.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 24, 2004, 1:55 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

" ... The end point of this campaign is this: People for PAWS campaign manages to secure land, funds, and a new system which keeps PAWS running in a more efficient manner for many years to come, while generating a lot of public and media interest in the topic ..."

Interesting thought ... Smile

I suspect it may be difficulty for any "outside" people act in any meaningful way, independant of PAWS or without the agreement, sanction or support from PAWS.

Unless one of the "outside" people is actually prepared to donate land for PAWS' use ... the only other way to secure land is (i) to collect enough funds to buy the land ... or (ii) to get local or federal authority to grant land ...

In either event, when asked, who do the "outside" people say they represent? ... They cannot say they represent PAWS because they don't ... And if they don't represent PAWS, do these "outside" people have any right to collect donations or procure promises for PAWS? ...

Trying to convince another to give donation (of whatever kind), while admitting that PAWS does not actually approve of or sanction such campaign is gonna be awfully difficult.

A collection tin marked ... "Not Approved By But Intended For PAWS" ... maybe catchy ... but might be a little strange ... *Tongue*

If in the midst of all this effort ... a press statement is released ... saying that the "outside" people are not authorised by and do not represent PAWS ... What happens to the credibility of these "outside" people? ... Will there be lengthy explanations of the hows & whys all this came about?

If change and improvement is required in any association, organisation or society ... then (unless the intention is to set up an alternative) that change would have to come from within. Outside influence can be brought to bear, but ultimately change or improvement if any - will have to come from within.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 24, 2004, 2:36 AM)

Zazi
Novice

Sep 26, 2004, 8:25 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] What would happen if..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it's not the ideal situation. All that is really missing though is the paperwork. By paperwork I mean a proper proposal of how much money it will take to buy land and build a new shelter from scratch. I don't think that collection tins are enough in this day and age regardless of how catchy the labels are ....

If in the midst of all this effort ... a press statement is released ... saying that the "outside" people are not authorised by and do not represent PAWS ... What happens to the credibility of these "outside" people? ... Will there be lengthy explanations of the hows & whys all this came about?

The whole idea of making it an extremely public campaign is to highlight the fact that there has been nothing done by the people who are acting on behalf of PAWS. There will have to be lengthy explanations about how we arrvived at this point. This can only serve to make the efforts of these people who don't have the support of PAWS on paper more credible and to some extent show and tell the public what has happened over the past 10 years. It will be an eye opener in many ways, and why shouldn't it be?

This proposal would include:

1- a new amended constitution
2- a proper plan/system under which the new PAWS will function
3- plans for what the new site would look like, space for a make shift hall for things like talks, and children's birthday parties, fund raisers etc.
4- a membership plan
5- a thorough list of year round fund raisers that the new PAWS will engage in to raise funds and the details of how they will be made into a reality.
6- an agressive campaign to re-vamp PAWS' public image
7- possibe nominations for a local celebrity spokesperson
8- a complete list of all the areas/structures in PAWS which can be sponsored or act as FREE advertising space for companies in return for construction costs of said area/structure.
9- a complete list of PAWS friendly companies and people willing to share resources and provide assistance.
10- a complete list of ways in which the new PAWS will serve the community [spay and neuter campaigns]
11- value added services that trained pet care workers can provide such as basic training for dogs, sit, stay, heel
12- services that PAWS can provide to schools, lke talks on why you should be kind to animals and spay and neuter etc.
13- PAWS forum, plans to create an asia wide online community for animal rescue workers
14- proposed items to sell at the PAWS web shop, mugs, t-shirts, badges, tote bags etc...
15- comlete bios and resumes of the new management complete with references and testimonials
16- plans for staff, and a comprehensive volunteer programme
17- veterinary support, perhaps some sort of programme can be started so that Uni vets can gain work experience
18- mailing list of present people who want to become members
[N.B. This is a non-exhaustive list.]

It would have to be a water tight proposal that is essentially a proposal for an animal shelter that will in years to come be a contributing part of society instead of just a burden. I think that if this proposal is good enough, and thorough enough it won't matter whether or not the people presenting it have the consent of the present PAWS management.It should be good enough so that who ever it is presented to will be able to clearly see how they stand to gain from getting involved in the new PAWS. The proposal would make it clear from the very start that it is entirely possible that the proposed shelter maybe turned down by the existing PAWS. In the event that PAWS declines, the resources gathered will go into building a new shelter under a different name. This would mean that the proposal would also have to include a contingency plan regarding applications to set up a new shelter etc. I don't think that this wil be too difficult so long as the plans prove to be... as i said, watertight. I think that most people will be able to apreaciate the complexity of the situation regarding the AGM and how it's not [in my opinion anyway] going to happen any time soon.

In the event that present PAWS manageent says NO, we don't need your help... The proposal will then be used to set up an entirely new shelter which will take over the present residents at PAWS...

I'm the 1st one to admit that the situation is not ideal. But i also have to say that all this pressure for an AGM doesn't seem to be working. Since it's not working something else needs to be done. To me, the only solution seems to be to take matters into our own hands as politely as possible. At the end of the day whatever work needs to be put into this proposal will be done anyway should the AGM turn out positively. It is really just a matter of by who and when and will it be too late if something isn't done right now....? If any of you are interested in getting involved please email me or post your thoughts in this thread...

ahbee
Novice

Sep 28, 2004, 1:42 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1434 views)
Shortcut

Hi Zazi,

I like ur proposal. great ideas.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 3:05 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Hi Zazi ...

Remember Madam Kang? The lady who spent her life savings/EPF ... on caring for stray dogs ...

We visited her over the weekend ... Mdm Kang is now located in a corner of a factory site (by kind permission of the factory owner) ... and she has over 100 strays in her care ... Although conditions are much better than when she was in Penang, her situation is still difficult ... she looks after all these dogs without electricity or water (she only has access to a well, with very limited water) ...

Although her current conditions are barely adequate ... the dogs are happy and ... and I think Mdm Kang one remarkable woman.

With the assistance of Mdm Kang's main sponsor (another incredible person, who wishes to remain anon), a piece of land ... located north of Taiping town (in the Kamunting area), with reasonable access ... slightly bigger than 2acres ... is now available for Mdm Kang ...

We managed to have a look at the land ... the belukar is now being cleared ... the next step is building something suitable for Mdm Kang and the dogs ...

If you are interested (and certainly your participation, ideas and suggestions would be most welcome) ... please email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 6, 2004, 3:06 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my