IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Nails

DoggiePuppy

Sep 23, 2004, 6:00 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Nails Can't Post

Don't know if this is the right section for this. But here's the question anyway. My pup about 10 months old, refuse to let me cut her nail. I cut it before once like I think several months back, so I was waiting for it to grow a little longer before I cut it so now she refuse to let me cut it. She'll struggle and when she see the nail clipper she'll run away. Its not like she has any bad memories or anything, the first time I cut her nail she was chewing some toy and she didn't even realize her nail was cut. Now her nail is growing longer and longer and I don't know what to do now. If I do it by force I am afraid it might injure her or something like that. I try to distract her with things she likes to chew the most, or even give her treats she don't usually get, but she just won't let me.

Advice.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2004, 1:22 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Nails [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

from that picture your dog look cute lar. hehehe.... actually you shouldn't wait until the nails go longer then only cut. if like that you can't able to train her to let you cut. cutting nails are the hardest part in grooming. i also having some problems sometimes when cutting my dog's nails althoguh i do it every week. when your dog saw the nail clipper and will run away that means she's smart. hahaha.... she knows that nail clipper is for cut her nails. never try to force her cos she will even don't want to let you cut her nails. although how hard right, you still need to cut. try to ask another person to hold her and you the one who cut. when she moves, try to command No and when she doesn't moves and let you cut one of her nail, praise her Good Girl. after finish all the cutting nails, give her treats. try to do it more often. if not she will forget everything that you teach.

Best of Luck!! Wink

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 25, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1904 views)
Shortcut

get 2 person 2 hold ur dog down n u can cut lorr...

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

DoggiePuppy

Sep 26, 2004, 2:52 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Nails [In reply to] Can't Post

You think I would never thought of such easy solution as what you suggested meh? If its just that easy I also won't need to post the question here liow la. IN fact i've tried many other more including which I am doing now, making the nail clipper a toy of her now playing it with her and make her excited to find the nail clipper. So far she's not so afraid of the nail clipper yet but when its touching her nail for a long time only she'll start to struggle a bit. So, maybe I hope I could collect some even better ideas of nail clipping over here that I never try before.

stoberi
Novice

Oct 30, 2004, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Mad howdy. FIFI HATESSSSSS having her nails cut too!! I scold her the loudest when it comes to cutting nails hehehhe. She oways tries to move and try all her best to avoid having her nails cut. I groom her myself.. and she loves it.. except for the nail cutting bit.. hmmm.... i think its very worth it to invest in a pair of good nail cutter lor....

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2004, 5:54 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1805 views)
Shortcut

y not leave it to the professiional groomer??Smile

DoggiePuppy

Nov 3, 2004, 5:59 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for so many feedback and suggestion here. ANyway baobao, I have thought of doing what you said and haven't tried that yet but again, Zoe have this issue with me touching her nails and especially have issues with strangers touching her nails. She's afraid of the clicking sound the nail clipper made at first and now she's a little phobetic of it. It is not who that does it, its what that does it that freak her out anyway. I would try bringing her to the groomer, and if it fails, too bad I gotta come out with other ideas cause seriously...I've tried 99 of what 100 ppl may tell me to do. But thanks for reading and caring too.

sallychuah
Canine Addict

Nov 18, 2004, 10:31 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1748 views)
Shortcut

Hey ur cockroach dun need nail cutting la, since she's soooo afraid of it why not taking her to walk or run outside and that will help on haaving long nail. I'm not so sure this can help or not but my MS usually dun need his nail to be cut coz when he runs the floor surface is actually "grooming" his nail. But sometimes did it at his pets shop's groomer too.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my