Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
2 Month old Silky can be trained???

msara
Novice

Sep 21, 2004, 6:21 PM

Post #1 of 17 (1832 views)
Shortcut
2 Month old Silky can be trained??? Can't Post

Hi people... this is my first post after buying my cutie aust silky yesterday..

Just a very short review... middle night yesterday...

1) will pee and poo on only carpetsCrazy

2) To wake up everyone in middle of night...3am.. and wanted to be out from crate. I brought it to my bed and it slept fine, but it woke up earlier then me the next day 6am and pee pooed on ma bed... Unsure

I have been reading some ABC on how to startup with dogs... training them etc... but my question always rise if it can be trained OR understand whatever we say at the age of 8 weeks?? A puppy cateforised till 12 months old... but is this too young to be thought right wrong?

If it could... can anyone teach me some very BASIC that could be understood by my dog..?

thanks people!

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 21, 2004, 6:57 PM

Post #2 of 17 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msara] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Laugh

It is never be too young for training your pup. But you need consistence in your training & be patient. Don't expect your pup will learn all in one night.Wink

Do visit in the Silky Terrier group (Toy Group) ya.Sly There you can learn more about Caring & Traning about Silky Terrier.Wink

Chrisong is the owner of BlushAmber, BlushAngel, BlushJoyJoy (Silky Terrier)Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #3 of 17 (1809 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Puppies can start training at any age ... the younger the better ...

And you know something else? ... The key to successful training and teaching a dog how to live within a family is ... NOT the dog ... but the Owner!!!

Will suggest you do the following:

(A) Get a good dog training manual ... do not just rely on what people say ... or what you can get over the internet ... Get a book, so its easy to make reference and easy to learn ... Get a GOOD dog training manual. Check out Amazon, use search function and read the reviews they have on the various dog training books ... Many of the recommended books are available locally.

In the meantime ... use the search function in this forum ... search "basic training" and "dog training manual" ... this topic has been much discussed, much advice and recommendations made ...

Maybe you can start here:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=training+manual&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=surchinmy&mh=25

(B) Read the training manual carefully and diligently ... A good training manual will provide all the information you need to know about:

(i) How to start house training ...

(ii) How to start general training - sit, stay & recall ...

(iii) How to use positive encouragement, priase & treat ...

(iv) How to deal with the little problems that crop up in any relationship between people & dogs ...

(v) How to build a good and healthy bond with your dog ...

Now that you have a dog ... you need to learn how to care for the dog in a correct and proper way ...

Cheers

gege
Dog Kichi

Oct 11, 2004, 9:30 PM

Post #4 of 17 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to owned a Silky. He is the smartest. He knows around 20 little tricks. Sometimes, when I watch the PETSTAR I'm sure if he can join, he can deffinately win some. He can understand what you told him but very forgetful. Therefore you have to keep on reminding him. He is very active so must train other wise will be spoilt.

Good luck in the training!
Cheers,
IV & NNee

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 11, 2004, 11:38 PM

Post #5 of 17 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gege] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you have a very clever fella there ... well done.

Cheers

gege
Dog Kichi

Oct 12, 2004, 12:34 AM

Post #6 of 17 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's all about luck. Now I owned a yorkie, I think she only knows around 3 tricks Crazy. No matter how hard I try to train her, she will ignore it and she even ignore the titbits. She is lazy but adorable.Tongue
Cheers,
IV & NNee

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 22, 2004, 9:33 PM

Post #7 of 17 (1720 views)
Shortcut

Hi, u must b very tired of doing the cleaning. U mean u want 2 potty train him?Or u want 2 train lke sit, stay?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 6:25 AM

Post #8 of 17 (1717 views)
Shortcut

hi.. i just being ke po here hehehe.. i don't have a silky, i only have a big fat pig... bullytaro.. heheheh.. hope i don't scare everyone away from here...

i canot handle small doggie coz i am just rough like my bully.. but i am intersted in training so much...

hows ur training going?

the doggie will understand the command once we repeat the same word, must be a short command in 1 or 2 words. and make sure u shoud him what is the command means and what u want.. puppy learn VERY fast.. 2 mths old puppy is much more better than 6 mths old.. they learn faster then 6 mth old also...

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!
THE BULLDOG STATION **drop us a visit **
PHOTO ALBUM : PUPPY.COM & OTHERS
Ref: Pg 18; 19

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 6:28 AM

Post #9 of 17 (1716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gege] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry i don't have a yorkie too hehheTongueTongue me really like come here to wan kat hehehehehe..... sorry sorry...

our doggie will ignore us, with few reasons...

1. he don't think we r intereting.

2. he don't think we r his alpha

3. he canot understnad what we want

let me know if i am wrong ya... hehehe...

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

WendyS
Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2004, 8:32 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bull Lover] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bull Lover,

I'm also being ke po here....looks like you know dog training very well, where did you learn, from book or you've attended obedient class before?

I'm also a new dog owner (1 week+ old), although my pup already understands the 'sit' command, I always find myself 'kelam kabut' when training her...because not familiar mah Crazy So I feel that it's not our dogs who are not intelligient, it's us who need to master the skills...I'm so scared to make mistakes and confuse her....

And one more thing, do you think dog can understand the 'same' command from different languages, eg. 'sit' with 'chor' (in Cantonese)....the reason I ask is because my parents don't know English, I want them to be able to 'communicate' with each other... is that possible?

Have a nice day!!!

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2004, 9:59 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hahahaha....i am not that good actually... i do read a few books, and i think i am lucky that i got a GOOD book ( but i don't know its a good book when i buy it) hahaha... only after i read it and work on my bullie.. then i went to a USA forum and everyone there talking about this good book... then i think i am really lucky hahaha.. now i enroll in the puppy.com OB class also.. and things r same as the book. but i will got problem to handle taro in a place full of ppl and full of doggies, he will forget me hahaha.. but everything goes soo well at home or in the place that i always bring him too... i mean if he see new things.. i will lost control on him, thats why i will got a long way to go..

actually difference breed have their difference attitude, and sure difference personality. actually if u can get VERY close to ur dog, then u will know what he is thinking... i can talk with taro for the whole day until my mum complain me, saying that i may need to go tanjung rambutan HAHAHAHAHA.... but she did it too!!! HAHAHAHA....

yes u must be confidance with what u do, if not the doggie can feel it u don't have confidance. plant the whole training and start... go smoothly..slowly.. just train for 5 mins.. then play.. then train the more play.. make it fun.. some breed don't like to repeat the same thing if he do it right in the 1st place. some breed don't like pysical correction. some dog love to please their owner...some just don't care...(like my fatty Frown).

i am not sure can doggie understand u command in 1 action. coz for them its just a sound, he canot undertand the word. but this is what i do.. command him to SIT, then he sit, then i will say.. GOOD SIT!! GOOD CHOR CHOR. repeat and repeat.. they may learn both.. like taro he will come if we say COME or LAI. just make the word as simple as possible for them...

aiyah i write too much lu.. hehehe.. hope don't bore u ya! ehehhee...

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

WendyS
Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2004, 3:17 AM

Post #12 of 17 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Hello, not bored at all...it's funny actually Tongue I feel that bullies don't seem to care about others or their surroundings, is it true? From what you described, I think dogs are smart enough to understand multi-language, maybe from our body language & voice also....so I feel much relieved now....

What good book that makes you feel so lucky? Let me know the title & author name lar, so that I can try to find in bookstore, ok?

How is the puppy.com OB class? Is it good? Hope you can elaborate a bit, I think it must be fun.....any funny stories to share? Cool

Khoobg
Webmaster

Oct 30, 2004, 6:07 AM

Post #13 of 17 (1679 views)
Shortcut

You can train using any word as long as you are able to make your dog understand what you him to do. For example, you can say "OH" and make your dog to understand "OH" mean in sit position, then your dog will sit when you say "OH" next time. So have funs training your dog !

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

WendyS
Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2004, 6:02 PM

Post #14 of 17 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] 2 Month old Silky can be trained??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Khoo,

Thanks for your reply....My concern is will my dog understand 'sit' means sitting position from me, and also understand 'chor' means sitting position also from my mother? What do you think?

Yeah, I will try my best to train her, I think should have no problem in basic commands...She can do 'sit' and 'hand' now, and she always looks at me when I'm around her, like waiting for me to initiate something...but if I can't do it perfectly, I think can still seek help from professionals, ie. the obedient training, ha..ha...

Best regards.

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2004, 7:50 PM

Post #15 of 17 (1665 views)
Shortcut

THE PP.COM class, hmm 1 word, ENJOY!! hehehhe i really like the class ah.. always looking forwad for sunday.. just feel like in a big family, and trainers r all friendly and helpful..

the book is special for hard to train dog, and is writen by a bulldog owner, http://www.puppy.com.my/...ent;postatt_id=1419; . but i think its better that u can get a book special for goldie, u got a GR right? i think GR is more willing to please their owner.. this bullie will only work for THEIR INTERESTED... they don't please us....FrownFrown

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

(This post was edited by Bull Lover on Oct 30, 2004, 8:12 PM)

WendyS
Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2004, 8:45 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bull Lover,

Good to hear that the class is fun...I think I'll enrol Daisy also because it's near to my house....

Your Taro is still a puppy, right? How old is he/she? Hope that we can meet one day....

Nice talking to you. Thanks.

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2004, 2:39 AM

Post #17 of 17 (1647 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Bull Lover,

Good to hear that the class is fun...I think I'll enrol Daisy also because it's near to my house....

Your Taro is still a puppy, right? How old is he/she? Hope that we can meet one day....

Nice talking to you. Thanks.

taro is a boy, almost 8 mths old loh... consider puppy hahhaha but very notty and big fat.. u drop us a visit in tmn desa lah..

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my