Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Show and Championship:
how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 5:22 AM

Post #1 of 19 (2955 views)
Shortcut
how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? Can't Post

hi,

i have seen dog shows before, but often i'm really confused about the whole concept about dog shows. i was told that the dogs are judged based on how close they are in the standard for their breeds.

but, how do u guys know about the standard in detail? sure, we know this breed should have long muzzle, short ears... and etc... but how long is long? how short is short?

how do u guys know, "hey, my dog got what it takes to go for dog shows! let's do it!!"

i always hoped one day my dog could join a dog show. but i always doubt the possibility. i don't know anything about it. and i bought him from a pet shop, not a breeder... so my assumption is that his standard is 100% way off the breed standard.

can someone please enlighten me? any information or past experience will be a great help.

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2003, 7:42 AM

Post #2 of 19 (2951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi,

i have seen dog shows before, but often i'm really confused about the whole concept about dog shows. i was told that the dogs are judged based on how close they are in the standard for their breeds.

but, how do u guys know about the standard in detail? sure, we know this breed should have long muzzle, short ears... and etc... but how long is long? how short is short? By reading up on the breed standard. It will state that the length of muzzle, from tip of nose to stop is equal to stop to occiput....or shorter....Or the planes on the head must be parallel as that of a Sheltie or Dobermann....etc...

how do u guys know, "hey, my dog got what it takes to go for dog shows! let's do it!!" Same.....by reading up the Breed Standard...and compare your dogs with the rest...especially the Americans or English....see if your dog has the qualities or conformation stated in the Breed Standard.

i always hoped one day my dog could join a dog show. but i always doubt the possibility. i don't know anything about it. and i bought him from a pet shop, not a breeder... so my assumption is that his standard is 100% way off the breed standard. Sought of......Most show quality dogs are bought from reputable breeders. Even if you buy from a breeder in Malaysia who had done only his second generation breeding...then you may not get a gd dog either. It's better to get it from Aust, NZ, Am or UK...etc.

can someone please enlighten me? any information or past experience will be a great help. Hope these helps !! Wink

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 10:24 AM

Post #3 of 19 (2940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altana_Mystique] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, i have the same questions as well.. but i guess reading the breed standards and to see and compare a real champion with what i have here at home, could turn out pretty different... was thinking that perhaps it would be good to see and learn more from competition held and then look at our own dogs before participating them.. to prevent me from having the thought of "oh my god, what am i doing here?" look! ha! ha!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #4 of 19 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altana_Mystique] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

looked through the breed standards, took me quite some time to really understand about it though :/

thanks a lot for the feedback.. so i suppose there's not really a chance for my dog to try out dog shows huh, since he's a pet shop doggie... that's rather dissapointing, since i was hoping it would be nice if he get the chance to enter the ring one day :)

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #5 of 19 (2935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

U can still bring your dog for show.....just enjoy in the ring lor.....or socialize your dog.....But if you have no competitors in the ring.....you can at least still win something... Cool

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2003, 7:40 AM

Post #6 of 19 (2931 views)
Shortcut

gaga... i rather not go in and people looking' at in wondering "what the heck are u doing in there?" :D

guess i'll make myself more comfortable in obedience.

u sound like an expert in dog show or something.. always show ur dog?

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #7 of 19 (2923 views)
Shortcut

Yah.......I show dogs...but am no expert...don't own any dogs...I show mainly Siberian Huskies and a few other breeds if friends lack handler, I'll just lend a helping hand if I can. Wink

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2003, 6:04 PM

Post #8 of 19 (2919 views)
Shortcut

woah... huskies! how cool is that!!!!

y don't u own a dog urself? u live in a condo or something? i learnt that huskies are really intelligent dogs...independent too... are they hard to train? heard they're stubborn :P

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 6:17 PM

Post #9 of 19 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Prefer showing first.....as I still stay with my parents who doesn't want dogs in the house.
yah.......they are very independant,stubborn and a great escape artist.........One should NEVER try letting a husky go off-leash in public even if it is obedience trained. Because they just cannot be trusted....hahaha Cool They are extremely friendly too.....actually you can say that it is the easiest dog to be stolen because the huskies just love everybody !! hahaha....... Cool

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #10 of 19 (2912 views)
Shortcut

huskies are really cool! one day i wish i would own one of 'em.

i had a chance to keep a siberian husky once.. he's a stray - found him loitering the neighbourhood for weeks. i kept him a while (he has bite wounds on the body) and hoped that the owner will come claim him back. unfortunately, no one claimed him. i gave him to my aunt for care.

perhaps he escaped or something. but they're so sweet angels... at day one i kept him he came so close to me and leaned on me. the blue eyes are so beautiful.

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 6:33 PM

Post #11 of 19 (2910 views)
Shortcut

Yup...though they are intelligent and stubborn...they are very affectionate....they see us as their pack leader....

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 8:38 PM

Post #12 of 19 (2905 views)
Shortcut

anyway, your GR looks very handsome !!! Smile

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2003, 2:29 AM

Post #13 of 19 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter,

Quote - "......so i suppose there's not really a chance for my dog to try out dog shows huh, since he's a pet shop doggie... that's rather dissapointing..." I don't know about you, but to me, the most important thing would be for my beloved furkid to be well mannered and well liked by everyone. That's how I see Hunter. So, don't be disappointed. So what if he comes from a petshop?.... nothing beats having a dog like him. I wish Bodhi can be like him one day. Keep up the good work Wink!

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 28, 2003, 5:41 AM

Post #14 of 19 (2893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hunter and Snoopydog,

Yes, I agree with Ivan..no point having a beautiful dog with a bad temperment. Unsure Better to have one where it's well mannered and liked by everyone. That's how I see Hunter too. I caught a glance of Hunter's gait when you were leading him from the carpark to the entrance of the park at KK recently. He's moves beautifully..IMHOSmile Must check out the GR breed standard soon...

Rdgs Arthur

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2003, 6:46 AM

Post #15 of 19 (2888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

A beautiful dog with bad temperanment will also be severely penalize in the ring. That's why a winning dog must be both beautiful and with even/gd temperanment. A dog that shys away from the judge....or one that shows aggressiveness in the ring...will be unlikely be chosen as the winner. Even when selecting breeding stock....temperanment is also a very important factor to be taken into consideration.

As for gait....almost all dogs have the same standard, except for a bulldog,Chow Chow,Fox terrier/some other terriers. A dog must have smooth flowing gait. If a dog is structurally sound with gd development of muscle, it should exhibit a "floating gait" as which at a point, all four legs are off the ground !! It is truly a sight to behold !!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 28, 2003, 7:55 AM

Post #16 of 19 (2880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] how do u determine whether your dog could excel in dog shows....or not..? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi guys,

lol dun misunderstand leh.. i was never dissapointed about him as a petshop doggie :D what i meant was i'm dissapointed he dun get a chance to enter the ring, due to the fact he's from a pet shop, not a breeder :) however, petshop or not petshop- it doesn't matter anyway - they aren't bred merely for competitions....they're for us to love and love. i'm really glad i have a superpup like him to love :)

(This post was edited by hunter on Jan 28, 2003, 8:02 AM)

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #17 of 19 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Yes....dog shows are not important....most important is the love you provide for your dog and vice versa. No use getting a show quality dog and you care for it just because it is winning. If it doesn't win, you just chuck it aside (which many show ppl are rather fond of doing). Crazy
Getting from a breeder also doesn't guarantee that it is of show quality. Pet shops also get their stocks from breeders. Anyone who breeds is called a breeder.
Anyway, from your avatar...your goldie looks very handsome!! Smile

In Reply To
hi guys,

lol dun misunderstand leh.. i was never dissapointed about him as a petshop doggie :D what i meant was i'm dissapointed he dun get a chance to enter the ring, due to the fact he's from a pet shop, not a breeder :) however, petshop or not petshop- it doesn't matter anyway - they aren't bred merely for competitions....they're for us to love and love. i'm really glad i have a superpup like him to love :)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 29, 2003, 6:56 PM

Post #18 of 19 (2860 views)
Shortcut

hi,

yeah.. but the whole point of it isn't really about winning anyway... it's about having a great time together with ur dog.

thanks for the compliment :) he's always a handsome boy to me!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2003, 1:23 AM

Post #19 of 19 (2844 views)
Shortcut

I believe my dog is one of those with bad temprement... sometimes, she snaps at me especially when she's in bad mood.. especially when i try to get her nail cut!!! is that a bad sign? How can she be trained to behave properly? Or could this be because she's the only dog at home and is getting all the attention from us?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my