Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
Write to me if you have concerns about Paws

msdhillon
Novice

Sep 18, 2004, 4:21 PM

Post #1 of 23 (4190 views)
Shortcut
Write to me if you have concerns about Paws Can't Post

I note that Cynthia is welcoming me to this forum and has said she would revert 'after consulting with members registered with her'. That statement has rather sinister connotations - is there a 'shadow Paws cabinet' out there in cyberspace in the making?

The reason I didn't join this forum earlier? Forums are fun but they have severe limitations. They are very impersonal and it is very easy when there is anonymity [after all you are only dealing with a computer screen!] to resort to mudslinging. I rather prefer a face-to-face resolution of matters.

Please bear in mind that Paws is a registered charity and was never intended to be a profit center or a breeding establishment or a market for the sale of dogs or cats. It has survived all these years on a 'hand to mouth basis'.

I will welcome any constructive views/criticisms/comments/suggestions from any animal lover. You can write to me directly at Paws or post your views here. I will act on them but please be fair and check your facts before you level accusations.

Manjeet Singh Dhillon

(This post was edited by msdhillon on Sep 18, 2004, 4:29 PM)

Zazi
Novice

Sep 19, 2004, 12:04 AM

Post #2 of 23 (4142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msdhillon] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just visited the PAWS website and i think it's great but i also think you should includ an email address for people to contact you or one of the volunteer staff at paws. If there is an email contact and i didn't see it, then please excuse my blurry vision.

Also if your web designer is able to do this, i think you should have an option for people to give a donation online. And also an option for them to register on line and pay their subscription on line.

In a few months my website will be up and i plan to link my customers to paws and the spca so that they can donate if they want to. Hopefully by then you guys will have an option for people to give you donations online.

You mentioned that paws was never intended to be a profit center.

I think that if you are planning on restructuring paws, or revamping it that it should definetly become a profit center for it's own sake. PAWS should be able to generate some profit of it's own so that it doesn't need to depend solely on hand outs. There are lots of animal shelters in other countries that operate as a small business not to benefit one person but to keep the organisation afloat even in hard times. I don't think that such a model would be totally out of place in Malaysia. Especially not now that animal welfare is becoming more of a public issue.

If every member of this forum contributed anywhere from 1-5rm each to rebuild and restructure PAWS....Wouldn't that be great? I know it's easier said than done, but i don't think it's entirely impossible or totally unachievable either. I know you said that PAWS is financially sound... But extra funds are extra funds...

I am all for PAWS becoming more market orientated. I feel that that is the only realistic way for it to thrive and not merely survive. I don't think it's feasible for PAWS to continue seeing itself as an organisation that depends entirely on hand outs. It would be different if PAWS were for legal or social issue forced to remain dependant on hand outs. But if there is an oppourtunity for PAWS to become independant of hand outs, i think that it should go right ahead and do it.

I used to volunteer at PAWS when i was younger... In the 16 years since that time PAWS hasn't changed. Maybe it has internally, but outwardly, to the society that is supposed to support it, it is still the somewhat delapidated shelter on the way to the airport. It needs to change... Charity is not enough anymore. PAWS needs to be turn itself into an organisation that is independant of hand outs. If it can't be done immeadiately, then small steps need to be taken in the direction of self sufficiency. Ultimately no animal shelter will ever be entirely independant of charity nor will it ever turn down charity but in order to move forward it should be as independant of charity as is possible.

Anyway, I hope this has been constructive and informative. Please do let me know if you need help with any thing. I'm a designer, i design posters, leaflets, banners, cards etc. and am also able to get things like t-shirts and buttons and badges etc. done in large or small amounts. If you need any help in this area please let me know. I would be more than willing to do work for you with no cost for consultation or design, and to put you in contact with who ever i know who can also help PAWS.

I would also be willing to email other shelters in other countries to find out how they keep themselves funded, and how they manage themselves. I'm sure they would be more than willing to share what they know with PAWS.

(This post was edited by Zazi on Sep 19, 2004, 12:08 AM)

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Sep 19, 2004, 9:06 PM

Post #3 of 23 (4104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msdhillon] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Please bear in mind that Paws is a registered charity and was never intended to be a profit center or a breeding establishment or a market for the sale of dogs or cats. It has survived all these years on a 'hand to mouth basis'.

Manjeet Singh Dhillon

Are you really sure ? Then why is pure breeds dog's adoption fees are higher ? Why are the mongrels treated as second class ? What will happen to the 11 months old Miniature Schanauzer puppy who is so called claimed to have a contagious skin disease ? Also RM 800 for adoption fees on one of the rottweilers there 2 years ago ?

I thought is supposed to be RM 100 for adults dog irregardless of breed ? Anyway, the people who surrendered them still give a donation of RM 100 right ?

Some ppl at PAWS are trading there.Do you know ?
A Dog Never Lies About Love

msdhillon
Novice

Sep 20, 2004, 12:14 AM

Post #4 of 23 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kathleen.tay] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Kathleen

Yes, I am sure that that is what Paws was set up and no, I do not know about people trading there. If they are then they are out of order.

My belief has always been that an animal abandoned at Paws [for whatever reason] should first and foremost be given a good home without regard to how much the person asking for the animal is prepared to pay. I confess that that ideal has not always been practised - in fact I know of instances where a figure higher that the recommended minimum has been asked for pedigree dogs against my protests but as you can imagine the other committee members have their reasons for such demands.

I will look into the matter of the 11 months old Miniature Schanauzer puppy.

We cannot all be perfect but we try.

Manjeet

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Sep 20, 2004, 9:30 PM

Post #5 of 23 (3982 views)
Shortcut

Mr Dhillon ,

Your vet can tell me and another volunteer not to touch the Miniature Schanauzer cos its with contagious skin disease.... come on, does he think I am not educated and do not know what is the meaning of contagious ? If its having a serious skin problem then it should be kept separately from the other dog, if not the other dog would have got is as well.

About the rottweiler case, its is 100% true situation. And the daschund that is kept behind near the MPPJ dogs area ? one of the volunteer told me, the dog belongs to the VET ? Why would anyone on earth keep their dog there ? Maybe, waiting to be sold ? I dont know but I think we will leave that for you as a President to investigate ...
A Dog Never Lies About Love

pei02
Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2004, 4:45 AM

Post #6 of 23 (3935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kathleen.tay] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Today I went to paws, the vet told me that the Miniature Schanauzer hav been adopted.

sasa
Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2004, 7:15 AM

Post #7 of 23 (3911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pei02] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

is it? why someone mentioned this MS was pass away few days ago? totally two different story...
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

msdhillon
Novice

Sep 21, 2004, 4:28 PM

Post #8 of 23 (3885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zazi] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Zazi for your positive comments/views. I will follow some of them up and look forward to seeing your website up and running.

Regards.

Manjeet

Zazi
Novice

Sep 21, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #9 of 23 (3848 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I will welcome any constructive views/criticisms/comments/suggestions from any animal lover. You can write to me directly at Paws or post your views here. I will act on them but please be fair and check your facts before you level accusations.

Ok... don't bite my head off (kathleen, sasa, pei02) because i mean well but i don't think this thread was started to nit pick and point fingers about specifics. Like he said... no one is perfect. All these little things are just symptomatic. I mean the last time we adopted a kitten from paws the vet in charge was unbelievably rude to us, we were over charged and we had to wait 45 minutes for him to get off the phone... and yet we still gave an extra 100.

What i'm getting at is that if we focus on all the details we're missing the bigger picture. I think this thread was started in good faith to address the big problem and not all the little details that are merely a symptom of the bigger problem.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2004, 2:51 AM

Post #10 of 23 (3707 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Manjeet Singh Dhillon

Dear Mr Manjeet,

In reference to your above statement, please clarify if not justify the words "PAWS is a GOLDMINE". It is your own employee that made this statement and it was said in the presence of at least 7 people known to me. Perhaps it was said to assert PAWS' financial health. If so, why does your vet tell me that there is no money to treat skin diseases? An animal with skin problems perhaps isn't pretty enough for a quick sale.

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Oct 22, 2004, 8:09 PM

Post #11 of 23 (3587 views)
Shortcut
Re: PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Mr Dhillon

Thank you for liestening to our grouses regarding PAWs. I would like to relate my experience. Two months ago, I decided to get a kitten for my friend. When we went there, the place was in a terrible condition, the cattery was damp and had moss all over the floor. Needless to say, the smell was just as bad. We were very interested in some kittens there but when we enquired, they gave us an excuse that those kittens were not adoptable as they had their shots already. If they have given us an excuse that they were not old enough, it would be quite acceptable but no, they were old enough. So they pointed us towards the smelly cattery area where there was a mumcat and her 3-4 kittens. We selected one and paid the adoption fees. My friend,being a responsible cat owner immediately brought him to the vet for a check-up. The vet saw the cat and said it was not exactly healthy but to come back a few days later for shots. A few days later she came back with the cat for a different reason. It was not active and slept too much. The vet then said definitely not ready for shots as it should be strong first. A few days later it developed diarrhea and died. All within 10 days of adopting it from PAWs. I asked around some people and some of them used to volunteer and they did not have nice things to say about the administration.

What I would like to know is how come some cats are not adoptable? Are they trying to flog off the sick and weak ones? This is very discouraging to people who want cats. My friend, happily got a healthy cat from my friends who are into personally rehoming stray cats. How ironic that the strays are better off on the streets than an unhygienic animal shelter.

Thanks

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2004, 3:23 AM

Post #12 of 23 (3479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I really doubt he is watching this thread anymore. Wait for the AGM in Nov/December and voice your concerns there. They claim to be animal lovers, volunteers and... care so much for PAWS. What we see is inaction and 'couldn't care less' attitude. There is little attention paid to the need for transparent management of a registered charity. And, as an adopter you are nothing more than $$ that goes into unknown, unaudited black hole...

Yes the place is falling apart... and I can show you exactly where.
These people have a lot to answer for.

Regards
Ex-Volunteer that was rudely told "YOU DO WHAT I SAY, OR GET OUT!!!" by Dr Maha.

henry
Novice

Oct 30, 2004, 7:32 AM

Post #13 of 23 (3466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they get any grant or financial assistance? I think they are tax exempted if they prepare their accounts accordingly.

sallychuah
Canine Addict

Nov 6, 2004, 12:48 AM

Post #14 of 23 (3356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, I did went to PAWS last week. We bring some rice N can food for donate but somehow ppl there (1 Indian guy n another guy) just sit there while we bring in de foods.There are only 1 guy who assist us where to put the foods N he's the 1 who only show appreciate N thank us.The place smelly FrownFrown

I'm not asking anything for my donation but at least show us they care for our support.Some of my frens even told me about how dirty the place was, when they too experienced visit there....

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2004, 1:49 AM

Post #15 of 23 (3313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [henry] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the late delay. PAWS is a registered society and a charity with tax exempt status. It took the founding members 2 whole years to get the status approved in 1987.

Unfortunately PAWS needs to acts swiftly (and come clean with the ACCOUNTS) now or find itself an struck off from the ROS.

This issues must be discussed at the AGM and the people responsible must be held accountable for their actions. I do hope that you will join up as a member and attend the meeting.

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Nov 7, 2004, 1:54 AM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2004, 2:09 AM

Post #16 of 23 (3307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sallychuah] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

That PAWS President, Dhillon who started this discussion hardly seem to care to answer people's questions anymore.

Its like running in circles, that old man and Maha are only nice when someone challenges them or they get yelled at by Ajit. And it does not last. Least you didn't get told to leave. I had a really bad experience there and I hold the whole committee accountable for hiring these people. RM10 - RM100 ringgit is not a donation big enough for them to be nice... And that indian fella is possibly the vet (who does not do much but collect money and put into into his shirt pocket - just watch lah).

They don't care about donors, visitors nor do they care about the animals. The only people there that actually gives a damn and give the attention and medical care to the dogs and cats are the workers (oops, they are unpaid...burmese volunteers) there.

Clean? This lady Jackie help them repair the jet spray for cleaning... then there was regular bleach donated. No reason for it to be still smelly...

sallychuah
Canine Addict

Nov 7, 2004, 8:17 AM

Post #17 of 23 (3291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear cynhor,

Sorry for what they had done to u. I went there twice and I already know that those animals is really not so healthy conditions. Yes, the Burmese guy help us to bring in the food, he's so nice, even though he doesn't speak english well, he thank us sincerely. I'm pity of those animals, hope some one in the committee or person in charge will do something better than this mess.

At the mean while, I only can help as much as possible but not knowing what they are doing, I better be smart NOT to give any money to them, as I noticed it is not going to help the animals at all.

By the way, thank u for being so kind to the animals..... We all have done what we could to help the poor animals.

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Nov 8, 2004, 4:18 AM

Post #18 of 23 (3263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sallychuah] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

for different results, try writting a cheque of rm1,000.................i tried it and it works.Cool

sallychuah
Canine Addict

Nov 12, 2004, 8:43 AM

Post #19 of 23 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dodo888] PAWs experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah RM1000, I cannot la, may be little by little can la.

Anyway, as long as we can afford to help that little it's still helping the poor animals.

Ms Yusoff
New User

Dec 6, 2004, 7:19 AM

Post #20 of 23 (2959 views)
Shortcut

Mr Dhillon,

I am a bit confuse here, how long does it take for someone like me to get my membership approved by PAWS committee if I decided to join the association. I really appreciate if you can explain further on this subject.

sick_puppy
New User

Dec 6, 2004, 9:30 AM

Post #21 of 23 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ms Yusoff] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't hold your breath while you wait for a reply, it seems that his lordship and his two backers have given up on this forum. Best to call the secretary, I think Liz has the number.

Liz Tay
Dog Kichi

Dec 6, 2004, 3:44 PM

Post #22 of 23 (2950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ms Yusoff] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there

I believe PAWS Pres, Mr Manjeet Singh Dhillon, is no longer active on here so I will share what I know

PAWS MEMBERSHIPS

Ms Yussof, you need to act fast if you truly wish to join in time for a vote at this AGM. On Friday a couple of people got an email (such a huge announcement) saying that the AGM is postponed because the committee sent the notices out too late (supposed to give 14 days notice). Letters are supposed to follow to all members. But since one of those emails was to me, I can say that so far the new AGM date given is Sunday 26 December, and the DEADLINE FOR GETTING MEMBERSHIPS IN FOR APPROVAL BEFORE THE AGM (FIRST IN SEVEN YEARS) IS TOMORROW TUESDAY 7 DECEMBER

You would therefore need to aim to get your form to PAWS by hand by 4pm tomorrow if you are keen to get voting rights. The committee is supposed to meet and approve all tomorrow evening. Then guard the receipt with your life and bring it to the AGM. I am sorry there has been no formal notice of this on puppy.com as many have shown support and interest for PAWS on this forum.

If you wish to join but are not worried about voting you may of course join any time to support PAWS.

For members who have already joined - some are protesting the date choice, some are asking for proxy votes as they will be away on holidays or have unavoidable family commitments over Christmas, as many surely will. No luck with either yet as far as I know.

Ms Yusoff
New User

Dec 6, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #23 of 23 (2917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Liz Tay] Write to me if you have concerns about Paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Liz.

Good news, I a member of PAWS now. Dr Maha was very helpful. He admit there is some misunderstanding earlier over recruiting new members earlier. Now membership is open to public up to tomorrow. So hurry up, before its too late.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my