Well said, LS.

Revz
Novice

Sep 23, 2004, 7:38 AM

Post #27 of 39 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msdhillon] Paws - a note from the President [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course its well said by LS. Smile

But Manjeet , u too pls look into the mirror coz her/his suggestion is for everyone who is involve in this 'battle'. Tongue

WinkWinkWink

(This post was edited by Revz on Sep 23, 2004, 8:16 AM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2004, 7:51 AM

Post #28 of 39 (1902 views)
Shortcut

It is strange that anything should seem 'sinister' or shadowy to you about our actions in support of PAWS. As you are aware from our personal meetings, telephone conversations and 16 emails/faxes thus far, the committee has been informed and included every step of the way as we endeavour to help PAWS towards a more certain future.

As for a "shadow cabinet in cyberspace", please be assured that from the beginning the support group has been been much broader than puppy.com members (although their input has been very much appreciated). More than half our supporters are actually not even registered users and have limited internet access but they still share many common ideals. As you must know from your own committee experience, people acting alone or with individual agendas don't get much done, and often nothing at all.

We appreciate your stated readiness to be receptive to public opinion on PAWS now, although it seems rather late to welcome and appreciate such input. The present committee deemed it acceptable to retain rule
without consulting its members. Nor did it attempt to call an AGM anytime these past SEVEN (7) years. Accounts have also not been submitted nor fully audited in all this time (Yes, confirmed by a brief visit to the Registrar of Societies today). Your Treasurer is avoiding contact. What excuses are sufficient to explain this?

As such it is surely more appropriate that an AGM be held at the earliest opportunity so members may vote for a committee of their choosing and perhaps even give you another term. Your new team will probably be more receptive to the "constructive views /criticisms /comments /suggestions" given and take whatever necessary action to save PAWS.

If you recall, I did meet you at your office at Monday, 23 August 2004 to discuss the various issues at PAWS and had asked for an AGM date. You said you have instructed your committee to prepare for one giving 3 weeks as an approximate timeframe and we patiently waited for the good news. Its over a month now, and still nothing.

I agree with earlier posts that this internet forum is NOT THE PLACE for a full PAWS discussion. However, pending notice for the AGM I should perhaps address some of the subjects you mentioned (which should rightly be included in the AGM agenda so members and guests may, as you suggested, share the facts and thus be more equipped to draw their own conclusions).

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Sep 23, 2004, 7:54 AM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2004, 8:33 AM

Post #29 of 39 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Membership Applications [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sorry to hear that my membership is still pending
approval. Your staff issued me a receipt on 21/6/04 and it seems strange that your committee has not met for 3 months to acknowledge applications.

You referred to PAWS constitution and I have a certified copy here with me. And I also have some numbers about membership applications for your perusal.

Known membership appications to date:

Life memberships applied for since 2000:
12 including myself. Total approved = 0 (NIL), Refund = 0 (NIL)

Ordinary memberships applied for this year:
35 *. Total approved = 0 (NIL), Refund = 0 (NIL)

Notes:
* 6 applications were rejected by your employee and are not included in this number (highlighted to you in via email)
* Another 6 posted applications have not been
acknowledged by your Secretary (cheque not cashed) 3
weeks ago. These are also excluded from this figure.
* 4 posted applications to your PO BOX NUMBER has also been excluded. For those not aware...PAWS mailbox (official address) was closed without notice in 2003.
* 2 walk in applicants turned away by your employee just last week, saying that he did not know where the forms are kept.

There is also no evidence so far that any of your
committee members have paid their annual fees or are life members. And who are all your co-opted committee members? We lost count.

Mr Manjeet, ALL WE WANT IS AN AGM. Just set a date, recognise all your paid up members and do the right thing by everyone (guest, donor, member, volunteer and especially every voiceless paw under your care).

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Sep 23, 2004, 8:46 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 23, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #30 of 39 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] ... just thoughts ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just some thoughts ...

A basic summary of the points which have been made:

The various postings have made the following points.

(a) That this may not be the appropriate forum (with some suggesting open forums to be dangerous) to discuss the affairs of PAWS. Suggestions have ranged from face-to-face dialogue (formal or over teh tarik) or the convening of an AGM.

(b) That rather than do "battle" with each other (for control or power, or other less altruistic aims) - all combatants to instead devote their effort and concentrate on doing things that benefit abandoned and lost animals. In this regard, mirrors and self-reflection have been proposed.

(A) Is this the appropriate forum?

On the issue of what is the appropriate forum ... Well, this may not be the "best" place to discuss the affairs of a charity, or any other form of association, society or corporation.

Strictly speaking, all such bodies will have their own "internal mechanism" where member dialogue and discussions are "supposed" to take place. And, ideally, all relevant issues & disputes ought properly to be discussed, dealt with & resolved through such "internal mechanism". Thus, guaranteeing a certain amount of privacy.

But when such "internal mechanism" does not work ... whether by design, neglect or just plain procrastination ... then that's when open forums come into play.

But once introduced into an open forum, matters are no longer private, and by virtue of the rules in this forum, we (the members of this forum) are all entitled to participate, discuss & share our views.

Is this good or bad? …

Well, sometimes open forums are abused ... but sometimes, an open forum can also be the last avenue of those who despair ...

That is the beauty & ugly side of an open forum. The participants make the forum and the participants determine its collective morality, integrity ... and usefulness ...

But where "internal mechanisms" do not or have not worked (for whatever reason) – this may be just as good a place as any to air views & thoughts.

(B) Concentrate on only what will benefit furry friends?

As a concept, the idea or appeal that people (who profess to love dogs, cats etc) should concentrate on only doing that which benefits abandoned and lost animals, and not otherwise agrue or fight - is admirable … but unfortunately that may not accurately reflect the “reality” of the situation.

The posts have raise the following main issues:

(i) There has been no AGMs or filing of audited accounts for many years.

(ii) PAWS premises are under imminent (and probable) threat of removal, and thus being rendered non-existent.

(iii) Management and operational concerns have also been raised. Ranging from the incorrect treatment of dogs to the selling or trading of dogs, in a manner inconsistent with its charter. Including delays in approving applicants for membership.

If correct or true, these appear to be major issues that need to be addressed and resolved for one basic reason. If these problems exist and remain unresolved then, the element of accountability in accordance with its charter is put at risk. When accountability is put at risk, the following questions arise:

(a) Why should the public (members & non-members of PAWS) make effort to assist PAWS, if it's officers are not accountable or do not so account?

(b) What assurance does the public have that effort and donations (in cash or kind) are being applied and utilised most beneficially for the abandoned and lost in PAWS, or that PAWS will even continue to exist tomorrow?

(c) Do such irregularities benefit or are detrimental to the animals in PAWS?

QUESTION: Therefore until such issues are resolved in a manner befitting a charity … can the noble aspiration that all effort concentrate solely on doing acts that benefit abandoned and lost animals be achieved?

Whether these issues are raised by existing members of PAWS or by a shadow cabinet in space ... is that relevant?

Or does it only matter whether the issues are correct or incorrect, or whether remedial steps need to be taken?

Now that these issues have been introduced into this open forum ... let views and thoughts be aired & heard ... But perhaps remembering that we should all try to do this with some decorum, fairness & reasonableness (indeed, with some self reflection too), remembering that we determine the usefulness of this discussion.

Cheers all

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 23, 2004, 11:38 PM)

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Sep 27, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #31 of 39 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Excuse me .. I think I will not waste my time on people like you ! So people who assist generously in RM is recognize as a volunteer .... ppl who assist by spending their time, effort and love for the animals are not VOLUNTEERS ????

I don't speak FRENCH OR LATIN but I speak language of LOVE FOR THE ANIMALS ! And EXCUSE ME, I am not LIZ !!! Just because we have the same surname it does not mean that we are the same person !

For your information too, I do not get paid to do things and share my love with the animals ..... I don't even need your paid job !! I am a employed and run my own business too !

In Reply To
Whoa! I know of a Liz Tay who assists, generously - I do not know a Kathleen Tay! So if 'Kathleen' is 'Liz' then I recognise you as a volunteer. See - I do know some of my volunteers. I hope that makes you happy. But then if 'Kathleen' is not 'Liz' and Kathleen is a volunteer - then I say mea culpa.

'PAWS will continue to be like a dump if its still under your RULING !'. Wow, that is a tough statement! And verging on libel! You may want to take independent advice on what you can and cannot say on a forum site. But if you are Liz then perhaps your underlying innuendo or suggestion is that the Paws would have been better run if we had given you the paid job you were asking for - with all that free time asked for that the majority of the Paws committee disagreed with.

That, you will agree, puts a rather different spin on your stance.

Forums are a dangerous place. But carry on writing - who knows where all this will end!

Manjeet

A Dog Never Lies About Love

msdhillon
Novice

Sep 27, 2004, 7:58 PM

Post #32 of 39 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kathleen.tay] Paws - a note from the President [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no French in my reply but there was a Latin expression - mea culpa - which as you have admitted you do not understand seeks, in the context of my reply, forgiveness if there was an error in the understanding. You invited the response with your broad statements. I agree with you - I too will waste no more time....

Have a good day!

Manjeet

ahbee
Novice

Sep 28, 2004, 1:48 AM

Post #33 of 39 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Hi MS,

u r so knowledgeable and know so many languages beside ur singh,english or latin french, am sure u know what those means.

A president sleeping for yrs finally awaken and have some time for posting. wellcome here Mea culpa hamkarchan.

cheers.Wink

Some wording not appropriate for this forum has been removed.

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Sep 28, 2004, 2:53 AM)

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Sep 29, 2004, 1:41 AM

Post #34 of 39 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Liz Tay] Paws - a note from the President [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Liz,

Ha ha... luckily ppl never say we are twins ! Hope to meet you soon too. Might have seen each other before but don't know each others name though.... well we have done our volunteer there so willingly and open heartedly which I feel GOD knows what we are doing for the beloved animals there.

Well, tends to happen this way when some of us as a low profile volunteers don't even want any acknowledgement voices out our opinions .... BOOM we get blasted back !

Well... I wont stop volunteering there though, the dogs need my love! So, I won't care what those people who doesn't like me to voice out the truth ... Too bad for them !

Cheers..... see ya soon

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2004, 12:13 AM

Post #35 of 39 (1426 views)
Shortcut

Am away most of next week and cannot follow up with the Registrar of Societies. Will anyone be able to spare an hour or two to visit the ROS and review the PAWS file. It is open for public reference and it will help if you are a member with a receipt or something (then ROS will even let you make copies of documents on file). Cost is about RM10 to check the file.

Sook Ching (the Secretary) and Ajit (the Vice President) had submitted incomplete documents to meet the 20/9 deadline and should have followed-up with a complete list of members. PAWS will be deregistered if they do not comply with all the requirements.

The accounts submitted for 1998-1999 were unaudited and unsigned (not even by any of PAWS committee members) which seems only to leave more room for doubt and questions. And they probably just forgot to include the 2000-2003 set of accounts too.

We will only know what was submitted last week if someone goes in personally to ROS. Is anyone new to this PAWS' discussion forum willing to take the opportunity to check and confirm facts? I can give you the MBSA address. Location is in Pusat Bandar Shah Alam.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2004, 12:25 AM

Post #36 of 39 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Hey Kathleen, did you know that Maha has now implemented a NEW volunteer sign in process. You have to register... and say what you want to do. Very formal. And apparently he has to give you permission first...

I am impressed at the speed Mr Manjeet worked.
I wonder if the mistaken identity issue had anything to do with it. Maybe the president does finally want to know who goes there before he says anything about volunteers that might backfire.

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Oct 5, 2004, 7:14 PM

Post #37 of 39 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Paws - a note from the President [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chyntia ,

Really ah ? That's fast.

henry
Novice

Oct 21, 2004, 8:16 PM

Post #38 of 39 (1275 views)
Shortcut

All I can say is, WOW!

For the volunteers, keep up the good work and pls do continue to do so despite the misunderstanding. I know it is hurting but I don't think it is intentional.

For the President, I wish to say the same thing, but I can't coz u are the PRESIDENT. If you don't change things or organize things, then who will? I know it is tough managing but volunteering is tough too. But then again, a President can only do so much, if he/she has the resources. The resources here is not the same as volunteering for the animals, but be in the committee to organize, manage, planning etc. U only get this if u have many members and they attend the AGM. Therefore, tranparency is important and the way I look at it, PAWs management is under attack here, at the open forum and the President responded with some clarification but added a bit of "egoism" to it, which is totally uncalled for. I can imagine your frustration and emphatize your situation, but as I said before, you are the PRESIDENT.

Lastly, for animal lovers, sometime what u see is not what it is. Managing an animal shelters or even a club/society/organization is not easy. It is always easier to complain than to actually do it. And sometime commitees do not have any avenues to share their problem. PAWs is an animal shelter, so maybe the burial part is a bit demanding?

Just my opinion.

Henry

sick_puppy
New User

Dec 6, 2004, 10:04 AM

Post #39 of 39 (1146 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well said, LS.

and when he pulls his head out of your butt, he might be able to see the truth.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my