Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
golden retriever growling at owner

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Sep 17, 2004, 4:50 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3304 views)
Shortcut
golden retriever growling at owner Can't Post

my goldie puppy is 8 weeks. when she plays with her toys, she is growling, i know this is perfectly normal. but sometimes she would get into temper tension. out of the blue, she will want to bite, she never show teeth, but she would growl at me (but not my hubby). i am scared when she does this but don't want to show to her. she would then bark a bit and her tail would wag profusely, it seems she want to jump and eat me.

how can i control such behaviour? my husband pin her down on the floor, and growl at her like a lion, then she stops and look away. however we not think she is seeking more attention than usual.

should we just leave her alone when she gets into this foul mood? FYI she is well exercise, fed and cuddled. what causes this anyways?

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 19, 2004, 5:12 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] golden retriever growling at owner [In reply to] Can't Post

dUN B AFRAID. b BRAVE LIKE A LION AS UR DOG. wHAT DID U DO 2 IT WHEN HE GROWL?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 19, 2004, 10:06 AM

Post #3 of 11 (3273 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Although very unusual for Golden to exhibit any sort of aggressive tendencies ... because of the popularity of the breed, more and more indiscriminate breeding is occuring and sadly ... the quality of goldens with good temperament is dropping ...

Some pups will growl, just to test the waters and see how far they can get away with it ... Some pups growl because they have nervous temperament ... others growl because they are dominant inclined ... some pups are food possessive ... etc etc

But whatever the reason, it is an issue that a dog owner must learn to handle and hopefully remove. It is important to know the CORRECT approach & method of dealing with this issue

The secret lies in finding the best method to deal with this issue without unduly frightening your pup or turning your pup into a defensive or nervous dog ...

At 8 weeks, how you treat the pup and how you discipline the pup is likely to have long term consequences ... mistakes made now will be very difficult to correct ...

Flipping a dog over or pinning a dog to the ground (often described as the Alpha Roll) is rather outdated ...... And is no longer recommended by many reputed and responsible trainers for general use by inexperienced dog owners.

If performed properly for the correct reason, with the correct timing by an experience and responsible trainer, it can be effective, but if performed incorrectly - it only frightens the pup and makes the situation worse ...

Anyways ... suggest the following:

(a) Check the forum threads ... use the SEARCH function and key words ... growling ... aggressive puppy ... etc ... This topic has been much discussed.

(b) IMPORTANT: Get a good dog training manual written within the last couple of years ... For recommendations, do search in AMAZON under dog training ... there are many good manuals available, that will teach you how to handle the problem you are facing through use of positive training methods that do not resort to physical punishment or pain ...

(c) IMPORTANT: Get a book on dog behaviour ... the more you know about how a dog communicates ... the easier it is to train and understand your dog ... And that can only be good for you & dog.

What you ought not to do is to leave the issue alone ... that is not a solution and you can end up with a dog that growls at and/or is aggressive to it's owners. And that is most detrimental to the dog.

Cheers

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Sep 20, 2004, 4:35 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] golden retriever growling at owner [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the info, she is improving now. what i did was just push her away and leave her alone and not even look at her and do my thing. she will bark about 3 - 4 barks and then she will come and sit next to me. ever since she only growls while playing with her toy. my husband stop pinning her down and does the same and she is improving too.

i have allocate about 15 minutes in the morning & evening to train her basic training and she has put her mind in this. she doesnt' chew on everything she sees now and doesn't growl when we take toys out of her mouth.

i have a dog manual on puppy training and it has helped me. thanks for the advice

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 20, 2004, 11:12 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3139 views)
Shortcut

Sounds good ...

When a pup is toy possessive ... you can try the following:

(a) Get some new toys that you know your dog will like ... and then pick a nice quiet time & a quiet part of the house - Just you and your dog ...

(b) Keep your new toys hidden in your pocket or on a shelf away from sight (BUT within easy reach) ... also have some small treats in your pocket ...

(c) Give your dog his favourite toy ... and let him play.

(d) Sit down beside the dog, and play with the dog ... and then slowly take firm hold of the toy and take it away ... If your dog growls or refuses to give up the toy ... BE FIRM, hold on to the toy and say "LET GO!" in a LOW tone ... Do not release the toy, in this battle of will, you must win ... and the dog must release the toy. Hang on to the toy until your dog releases ...

(e) Once your dog releases the toy ... Immediately praise in a HIGH tone ... good boy!!! good boy!!! ... praise & reward with a little treat ...

(f) After giving the treat ... return the toy to your dog & repeat the above several times ... and soon your dog will learn that releasing the toy will get him a reward ... and will be willing to give up the toy without growling ...

(g) Close the lesson by taking the toy away ... when your dog releases the toy ... instead of a treat ... had a new toy to the dog.

Repeat the above training every day ... for a week or so ... and you will start to see much difference. You can use the same method to train your dog not to be food possessive or other forms of possession.

All the above ... if done correctly and consistently will teach your dog that giving up a toy or food is not detrimental and actually brings good things ... And will teach the dog that as owner - you are the leader and entitled to take food & toys away and your dog must not retaliate by growling or threatening to be aggressive.

Do a search in the forum on the word "Jackpot" ... for info on how to make best use of treats.

All the best

Cheers

Griffdog
New User

Oct 22, 2004, 6:03 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] golden retriever growling at owner [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 13 week old golden retreiver that bites our hands, arms, legs, feet, etc. constantly when we are just sitting and trying to relax. When we are walking he bites at our pant legs (has put holes from his sharp puppy teeth in at least 3 pairs of my pants) and even wraps his front legs around our leg and bites at our foot/shoe. I have tried soooo many things to make him stop. From the anti-bite spray (it doesn't phase him), to holding his muzzle (it just makes him mad and want to bite and growl more), to holding him down (which also just makes him mad). I've yelped and walked out the room. I've ignored him. Nothing helps. I haven't seen any change in his behavior. Then I feel guilty if I feel I have hurt him in any way, and sad because I have this puppy that I have to keep out on the porch by himself because he bites too much. Any advice would be much appreciated.Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2004, 8:40 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Griffdog] golden retriever growling at owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Golden puppies are by nature & breed, not aggressive ... so I suspect that your GR baby is just being naughty & behaving like a teething pup.

Okay ... what can be done ... hmmm

Personally, I find that the so-called sprays/liquids etc ... don't work ... and there is no substitute for proper and timely training.

(A) Puppies will get chewy and bit when they teeth ... its just a puppy thing. Puppies also use their mouth to feel & explore their world ... another puppy thing. Most pups will grow out of both the aforementioned as they mature, and start getting their permanent dentition.

So during this period - get your dog lots of chew toys - rotate the toys to keep them fresh ... This is also IMPORTANT time to teach the pup can or cannot bite/chew ...

Your pup must not be allowed to chew as he wishes ... Teaching the NO command is a good way to assist your control of a pup's behaviour.

(B) It is good to teach a pup about bite pressure. I find dogs who know bite pressure are more reliable than those who don't. You can teach a dog about bite pressure, by allowing the dog to mouth you - but the moment you feel teeth - Yelp!!! ... and STOP all activity IMMEDIATELY ... NO MORE PLAY! ... After a while, return to play and repeat ...

If the above does not work then the NO command will help. Substitute the yelp for the NO command.

TEACHING THE "NO" COMMAND

One of the most common mistake new owners make is giving a pup "too" much freedom before a pup is sufficiently ready. Essentially, a pup ought not to be left alone & unattended until the NO command is taught & the pup understand what NO means.

Allowing a pup complete freedom of the house and/or garden simply means that a pup will frequently be out of sight (out of mind?) ... and will acquire/develop/learn all sorts of habits - you will not appreciate ... like chewing furniture, plants ... dig holes ... etc ...

Step A: Slip a collar and long thin leash on your pup.

Step B: Everytime the pup leaves his crate or confined area, or when he is allowed into the house ... he is on the collar & leash, and attended by you. This includes the times he is allowed out very couple of hours to eliminate ... feed ... etc.

THIS the most important part of this training and the most often overlooked or not followed by the owner. But if you wish to efficiently and quickly teach a dog the NO command ... then please observe this part with diligence.

If this part of the training is carried out properly - you can teach a pup most basic commands within a couple of days. Relax this part of the training - and you prolong the training ... you will also probably prolong your pup's agony and yours!

Step C: Everytime the pup does something you do not wish it to do ... you use the collar & leash to restrain the pup. As you restrain the pup ... say NOOO in a low growly voice (loud is not as important as low like a growl) ... and immediately stop the unwanted activity. No other reprimand is required.

Important: Make sure everyone in the family reacts and treats the pup the same way - otherwise, your pup will be getting mixed messages. Consistency with the pup by ALL members of the family is critical.

Before long - your pup will on hearing the NOOOO command ... hesitate ... and pause ... Once your pup pauses ... maintain the pause (use the leash to restrain your pup if necessary) ... Once your pup settles down and stops pulling/tugging on the leash ... Praise & Reward.

Use the Search Function and check threads on how to use the "Jackpot" method of rewarding ...

If consistently applied ... your pup will learn what NO means within a day or two ... and continue for another week, and the command will be grounded ...

The NO command is a very important basic command to teach a pup ... A pup that understand NO can be allowed in from the porch ... Tongue

Cheers

PS At 13weeks ... it's also a good time to start basic training ... that always helps with maintaining good control over a pup/dog.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 24, 2004, 8:36 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Griffdog] golden retriever growling at owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hey griffdog,

my golden used to be like that and still does sometimes though now we think she is doing it out of attention or being bored. yes teaching no is important, those sprays are not effective!:) i have tried vinegar, tabasco sauce, pepper, bitter apple, she still bites and she licks them off like it's ice cream! so i think my puppy is super dog..haha, maybe urs too. GR are by nature naughty

what did was when she wants to bite me(she dont really bite, she just mouth but i also want to curb this i don't want her to mouth me when she is all big and strong), so i will quickly say in a low tone angry voice "NO!" and remove my hand, then i move away, trust me it doesnt work the first time, it has to be in her head that biting means not attention i will stand up looking down at her and show my fist (that is her sign for no), i will glare at her, no blink and wait till she look away. my puppy will normally look down (as though to say she is sorry).

we don't buy her too many toys. she has a rope, a kong, plastic bottle with marbles in it and a lamb bone. this is also a good time to let him chew on bones esp lamb as they are sturdy, it keeps my dog entertain for hours! we normally would boil the bone and give it to her outside. the lamb smell will be in ur house so it's best for her to chew it outside, then u can always wash and reboil the bone to give it to her. too many toys, she will think everything belongs to her. even if u have many toys for him, avoid from giving him 20 at one time just give him 2 - 3 toys at one time.

if ur puppy know her basic command, like sit, stay, lie down, leave it and fetch, it will also take her mind of chewing. for eg, stand in front of him and ask him to sit, if he knows the command and refuse to sit, then make him sit by pushing his hip down gently. if he refuse, he may think u r not worth listening. once he knows that u r boss and he has to do what u tell him to do, the "NO" command will work more effectively. my dog thinks my husband is a big chew toy and she refuse to listen when he says no. but when i walked to her while she is chewing him, she immediately stop (when i show my fist). so i am slowly letting my puppy know that rule in the house me & hubby - alpha dog and she (second dog).

my puppy is 12 weeks and she has stopped chewing whatever she is not suppose to chew/bite, she does it every other time when she thinks she has not given the attention she should have gotten..hahaha. i am surprised that surchin says at 13 weeks is good to start basic training.Smile it's not bad surchin just if u says so, then i think my puppy has a huge leap already. she knows sit at 9 weeks, stay, lie down at 10 weeks, at 12 weeks, she knows fetch, stay, sit, lie down, leave it, the command NO, tricks like catching a slice of pear from her nose straight into her mouth Smile, give her paw when requested, she knows her sign by voice, by voice and hand sign and by hand sign only. i could be training her with only showing her commands by my hand sign, without speaking to her and she understands them. we are still training her to walk properly on the leash as she gets all excited when she goes out, and also she is still not comfortable with heights.

so griffdog, if u bond with ur puppy, he should be eager to listen to anything u give as command and listen to your "NO".

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 6:24 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2852 views)
Shortcut

Wow..Kelsey..Can share ur trainin tips? By the way..Since my pup is just 8 weeks old..And he is the 'selamba' type thus not those active active type...When Should I start his training..

So far..These two days ( I only had him two days), whenever I put him in the crate..He will whine when I m not around or when he is finally bored at the chew toys. Oh yeah..Got to mention this..U know the crate..They got this small gaps rite? So happened that yesterday, my pup's toe got stucked in one of them..He was crying for help..Luckily, I managed to dislodge his toe before his toe gets hurt or dislocated or something..So ..My dad fearing of a repeat episode..He put a piece of card board on the flooring..Now..The pup chews on it ..Which is perfectly normal..He also like to chew on my mom's plant..Now the fun part is..Whenever he starts doin something I dun like..I ll just go "NO!" quite loud lar by my standards Laugh and he ll stop..Oh yeah ..I think me and my dad freaked him yesterday when we jumped up and screamed when Rooney scored the second goal for MU..hahahahha

So..Back to the ques..Should I wait and see when to start trainin? I seriously need to crate train him properly..When he whines too hard..I ll lembik hati and let him out..And he will AUTOMATICALLY head for the underneath of a chair.(his fav spot apparently) and lies down there and doze off no matter what...Getting him back into the crate is hard as he doesnt really respond to the 'come' command well..Coz mayb he knows that I wanna put him back into the crate...HEnce 'tong ngo fat ngap fung' kekekek and ignored my calls..

candy722
Novice

Nov 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2590 views)
Shortcut

You gotta show your dog who's the boss. Don't ever let your dog rule you.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Nov 15, 2004, 3:41 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [candy722] golden retriever growling at owner [In reply to] Can't Post

candy,

thanks for the info but this problem has been solved a week after this post was posted.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my