Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Dog Safety Belt

Bailey

Sep 17, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #1 of 12 (432 views)
Shortcut
Dog Safety Belt Can't Post

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is the appropriate place to place my query but what the hecklah... I am thinking of purchasing a dog safety belt so that I can transport my Bailey everywhere I go. Since I only drive a Wira and I don't own a crate, the only method I can think of is a dog safety belt. I plan to take her to PD on a regular basis especially when I go wind surfing so that she can join in the fun as well and since I am a trekker as well, I want to bring her along. Have grand plans to turn Bailey into a surfer babe dog pretty soon:-) Has anyone used this safety belts before and what are your comments on this? I know they are sold by Pets Wonderland in Mid Valley at about Rm57.00.

Currently I put her on her harness and her leash and I fasten her leash to the back seat of the car but it is not very safe for her as sometimes she likes to look out of the window or glance over my shoulder when I am driving. I have to drive very slowly so that she does not smash her face into the driver's seat when I brake and am always bribing her to lie down the whole journey.

Puppy Power

Bailey

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

anapsid
Novice

Sep 17, 2004, 1:13 AM

Post #2 of 12 (425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bailey] Dog Safety Belt [In reply to] Can't Post

wow! a surfer doggie! hehehe... interesting...Smile

i have no experiences using a safety belt but i did read somewhere in the net about it (can't remember where though), that it is not a bad idea using it to train your dog to sit in the car (some dogs may get nervous and jump here n there in the car).

another article that i read was that in the states many dogs died in car accidents is bcoz they dun put on safety belts. Frown

Anapsid Crazy & Benjamin Cool

Concorn
ALPHA

Sep 22, 2004, 9:31 PM

Post #3 of 12 (392 views)
Shortcut

Wah, very lucky bailey huh!! Can go surfing and trekking and swimming also... Looking at your note, I bet bailey doens't sit still all the time while the journey lor. You have to train bailey hard to do all the command given if not you'r the one whose suffering thru out the journey. Too bad that bailey is so big size, if not then you cld get some portable cage for travelling lor.

Like my Coco, she doens't sit still in car also but she has no choice b'cos I kept her in the cage and with muzzle on too. She's too noisy to be in a car.. She's not prone to be cage that's why she's making noise.

Well, if you think tat u need a safety belt for bailey then you go get it. Sometime it depend on the master also lor. LIke you, you like to travel with bailey and do all sorts of sports together then you should get one lor.

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Sep 28, 2004, 8:50 AM

Post #4 of 12 (381 views)
Shortcut

Hi. Seat belts are a great idea for the safety of pets. I use dog safety belts for my dogs but I got them from abroad. I think that RM57 is expensive.

What about asking someone in the US, UK or Australia to bring one back for you? Go on the 'net and find a online pet shop in the country where you have a friend who would be able to bring it back for you. Pay for it via credit card and have it sent to your friend's address. You'll also save a lot on the delivery charges to a local address (in the US, UK or Australia). All in all it should cost a lot less than RM57.

My dogs are strapped in but they can still move around to get as comfortable as they like. The important thing is that if I brake sharply, the car seat belts tighten and restrain the dogs, just like they would for a human passenger. You never know when you'd have to brake suddenly, no matter how carefully you drive. I also know that my dogs can't get bored and suddenly want to move from the back seat to the front to get my attention and cause a distraction.

I don't personally like dog travelling crates - the dog is stuck in them, the crate can't be anchored on to the seat so the dog rolls around in the crate with every movement of the crate. If the brakes are applied suddenly, the crate can fall off the seat because it's not restrained and the dog takes a tumble too. A seat belt is far more stable.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

(This post was edited by Gus-Gus on Sep 28, 2004, 9:02 AM)

jimin
Novice

Sep 30, 2004, 4:15 AM

Post #5 of 12 (372 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bailey,

I have a female Labrador too. She is 4 months old now and I also plan to take her to the beach. Maybe we can take our dogs together. I am sure they will be happy to have another doggie companion to play with at the beach. I usually go to RPDYC (Port Dickson Yacht Club) for sailing and I plan to Bring my Angel soon.
What do you think?

Cheers, Jimin

Bailey

Sep 30, 2004, 5:44 PM

Post #6 of 12 (365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimin] Dog Safety Belt [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jimin,

Glad to receive your posting. If you have read my other postings, you would know that my Bailey is now with my parents in Ipoh as she will have more space to run about and plus she will have constant attention. As I live in a condo and I am a single working girl, Bailey will be deprived of all the attention that she is having now. It is more humane to give her to my parents than to keep her all to myself.

Nonetheless, I am still keen to bring Bailey to the beach on certain occasions. You will have to give me advance notice so that I can bring Bailey down to KL for a holiday and then on to PD. I am normally at the local windsurfing club run by a husband and wife team, Ghafar and Salina (German lady) - it is called Sun Sea WaterSports Centre (about 500 m down the road from Avillion and it is immediately beside a food court. Do let me know ok?

Puppy Power

Bailey

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

jimin
Novice

Oct 1, 2004, 1:12 AM

Post #7 of 12 (359 views)
Shortcut

Awww...that's too bad that you can't take care of her!.. I'm sure you miss her very much!
You should rent a house and get a housemate so that Bailey can stay with you..
Like me, I bought an apartment before I got Angel and now I am planning to sell the apartment and continue staying in my house which is rented. All for my Angel.
But anyway, I will let you know about the beach outing in advance.

Take care!

wendy_h

Oct 1, 2004, 1:53 AM

Post #8 of 12 (358 views)
Shortcut

Bailey,

I think I've seen you before in a picture with the German lady and the whole surfing group! You're a friend of my friend. Small world huh? I bet you're the one whom she keeps saying bakes biscuits for your doggies? Cool

Anyway, coming back to your topic, it's definitely not a waste to get the dog strap even though it's at RM57. But if you want cheaper alternatives, you may try www.petsmart.com. They have thousands of doggie things but unfortunately they don't deliver overseas. So, if you have someone going to US, then you may want to get the strap (plus lots of other things too I guess? It's so cheap there!). My dog doesn't get strapped in the car. She will definitely not disturb me or climb over me or anything. She's used to travelling long distance already since I brought her home and she knows exactly which stop to pee too! Tongue I've never had her on any harness or strap though coz she can't fit in any but she's a good dog. Normally, after being excited for a while, she'll lie down flat on the seat till we arrive. Cool

FrownView Ginger's profile on DogsterFrown

FrownIt’s dog’s world out there!

Bailey

Oct 1, 2004, 5:25 PM

Post #9 of 12 (352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendy_h] Dog Safety Belt [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Wendy,

I think you have gotten the wrong person. May i know your friend's name who is the windsurfer? i would most probably know him/her. I have not baked any biscuits for my Bailey as I am terrible at baking :-( But I want to try and see how it fares. Looking at the recipes I have downloaded , it does not seem very difficult. My BF enjoys baking more than I do and I plan to rope him in to help me out.

Thanks for the tip on the seat belt. I think I will just head to Pets Wonderland for it. When I drive Bailey around she does not jump either. She normally lies down in the car and occasionally puts her head on my shoulder to look at the scenery. It is when she does this that I get worried I may have to apply emergency brake. So it is better to be safe than sorry.

Hey if any of you are keen to go to PD with Jimin and I, feel free to join in. We will fix a date and let everyone knows.

Puppy Power

Bailey

wendy_h

Oct 2, 2004, 12:29 AM

Post #10 of 12 (344 views)
Shortcut

Hey Bailey,

My friend's name is Judie. You know her? Don't think she's been for windsurfing for quite sometime though since she's gone to Thailand. Smile

I've taken my dog to PD before and she loved it! She scared of the waves though....wouldn't go near the water! But hey, I'm a beach lover myself. Would do anything to own a beach house, if possible. Do let me know when you and Jimin are going to PD, I might just join. Don't windsurf or sail at the moment but keen to start up. If not, jogging on the beach is fine with me. Cool

I think we should start a new thread or come up with an Event - PD trip with Doggies!

FrownView Ginger's profile on DogsterFrown

FrownIt’s dog’s world out there!

Bailey

Oct 2, 2004, 2:01 AM

Post #11 of 12 (342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendy_h] Dog Safety Belt [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Wendy,

I have met a Judy several times at the windsurfing centre. I assume it is the same girl. Have not seen her for quite a while though. Will keep you updated of the proposed date to go to PD.

Puppy Power

Bailey

musashi
ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 6:37 AM

Post #12 of 12 (333 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I used ot bring my TARO to PD too...he loves the sand and water...,I usually go very early in the morning as less people and not disturb by those "who ha "people...

Most of the time,me,Taro & my wife...so a bit lonely lah..if can join you guys will be fun fun fun !

Blush I am the man with dog's name

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my