Need advice - Golden X Labrador

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2004, 3:13 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Need advice - Golden X Labrador Can't Post

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and I find the ppl here are very helpful & friendly...I really have a good time reading the stories hereWink

I like Golden Retriever alot and have been thinking of owning one. I came across one ad in newspaper selling GR X Labrador pups, the pups are 8 wks old, have been dewormed but not yet vaccinated. As I agreed that mixed breed dogs can also be good pet, I'm planning to see the pups. However I'm not sure whether it is wise to buy if they are not vaccinated, as I'm worried the pups may not be healthyCrazy..... I have not owned a dog before, can anyone advise me on this?

Thank U very much....Best regards.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Sep 11, 2004, 11:08 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] Need advice - Golden X Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure about this but normally the pups should have their 1st vaccine by the breeder before they go to homes..... but you still can purchase one if you wish...... but becareful of conmen these days.... although it's a mix, please do not pay a hefty price..... I bouth my pure lab with cert form a breeder for only RM500.... if you want a pure one you have to check around 1st, don't get one coz you think it's cute, check the parents, the medical background, choose an outgoing pup, not a shy one..... make sure the parents of the pups are fully vaccinated coz I've heard cases of my friend's puppies dying of distemper coz they didn't get their 1st vaccine and the parents weren't vaccinated.... Becareful friend. Make a wise choice.....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2004, 7:07 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Need advice - Golden X Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Crazymouse,

Thank you very much for your reply....I thought nobody is going to reply my post....

I actually went to see the pups last week, however it's turned out to be a big disapointment for me...because the pups are not well taken care of, the man just gave them plain rice and they looked weak. When I questioned him, he just said he has dog biscuits but rice is cheaper. It's pityful to see the mother dog too, because the man beat her head when she was barking at us. The man just bred his son's dog to get money...so irresponsible...no wonder he didn't give the pups the 1st vaccine.

I agree with you that there are many irresponsible breeders/petshop owners out there....that's why we have friends here posted that their puppies are sick after bringing them home....I'm trying to be careful also.

BTW, it's good to hear that you got your pure Lab for only RM500 and he/she is healthy, how old is your Lab now and do you have pictures?...How do you know the breeder, does he/she sells GR too?

Best regards.

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2004, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Dear Crazymouse,

Is the doggie in your avatar the lab that you are talking about? She is so cute, does she always showss you the innocent look like that? Wink

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2142 views)
Shortcut

Hi hi... Sometimes if the post is the right topic then people will reply....

Oh, the pups do sound very poor.... I pity the pups.... I hate hate people who breed dogs just for money, that guy must be a very cold hearted man, if his fridge got a pot of meat and a pot of plain rice then he should eat the rice only and keep the meat lah since he says feeding dog biscuits are expensive.... so stupid....

A number of petshops are also selling unhealthy pups, I have friends who have pure breed pups die from distemper and kennel cough after bring them home form the petshops....

My lab, she's a female, her name is Tammy and she's 4 years old. Hehehehe... she has a cute face rite? To get her to pose for me I had to hold a cookie in my mouth while taking the picture hahahaha........To know about available pups, I phoned MKA and they gave me a list of breeders.... gave each breeder a call till I found this particular breeder with pups and selling for RM500..... My friend also breeds labs but black ones and only once a while, comes with MKA also and is RM600, in Seremban lah...... GR, always a bit more expensive than labs.... you should call up MKA and ask for available breeders, safer too!

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004, 2:48 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Dear Hun,

Thanks...Thanks....I will call MKA to get the list of breeders. I remember someone gave the's phone no. in the previous post....just need to search for it.Tongue

You must have lots of experience looking after dogs, do you mind to share some with me? Actually I'm a little bit nervous & worried...I'm afraid I can't handle it wellUnsure.....Any advice would be good...

I'm staying in a double-storey intermediate house, my parents and children will be at home when I go to work. Is it ok to keep the pup in the cage except for eating/playing/training time, or is it better to let the pup run free in front of the house & garden all the time? I must get this right before the pup comes to my family....Appreciate if you can help on this....Sly

Best regards.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 6:15 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Oh, you can dial the operator and connect to MKA.... that's how my dad did it....

Oh, I'm glad to advice you, ask away heheheh....

HHmm... the house you stay in is good for a dog.... if your parents and children are home then that's a plus point! Puppies need attention all the time and to grow up to be a family dog it needs to be with family around the clock.... A puppy needs to be caged up, you'll have to buy a cage coz pups need to have a place of their own, like a room for a teen. Get a good size cage, best would be a one where he pup can stand on all his 4 legs and walk around without any discomfort..... This is the old method.... My method creates a loser bond between owner and dog, all my dogs sleep in my parents and my room for the 1st year of their lives.....when they are 1 yr old, I let them sleep outside.... but they still have to have a cage to retreat and sleep sometimes..... It is best if you let your pup sleep in an area close to you, in or outside a cage..... It is ok to keep the pup in a cage during puppyhood coz they wil learn what they can and can't do around the house..... A cage gives them security too...... But when older ah, no need cage lah... I see no problem coz a GR is a friendly dog and learns very very fast...... becareful of letting the GR puppy outside your house, even your garden coz got many people will steal a GR pup....

When you choose a puppy, make sure you hold each one, if the puppy tries to jump out of your arms, this a a hyper and dominant dog... if the puppy struggles but later calms down, this is the best... if the pppy never moves, just let you pick it up, this is a shy and timid dog.....

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004, 6:03 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Dear Hun,

I got what you mean...Thank you so much....and thanks for the bonus too - "Tips on picking the right pup"..ha..ha!!

Best regards.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Sep 17, 2004, 4:49 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2070 views)
Shortcut

Ok... good to hear that... what ever you want to know feel free to ask..... pick the right puppy for you and your family.... go and see a few breeders 1st and view the pups and its parents.... when you think you've spotted a good pup, then you only purchase it.....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my