Puppy peeing in cage

GadgetGirl327
Novice

Jan 22, 2003, 7:57 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Puppy peeing in cage Can't Post

Hi!

I have a 13 week old St. Bernard and I am having terrible difficulty housetraining her. First of all, she gives no sign to when she has to go out. She just plops down and pees where she feels like it. I usually catch her and say no and immediately take her out. But it seems like she is not getting it at all. This is becoming almost a habit for her. Secondly and more of my concern is that she pees in her cage. It does not matter the amount of time she is left in there, she could pee after only being in there for 10 minutes. I have the cage sized down so she only has room to turn around. I take her out before I put her in there. The worst part about this all is that she lays in the urine. She seems to not care about the urine all over her. It is becoming a huge problem in my house and giving her baths is becoming a routine. I know she can hold it because I have just realized that she can sleep in my bed all night for 8 hours and not pee. I know this is a big risk in keeping her in my bed, but at this point I am sick of getting up 3 or 4 times at night to let her out and most of the time she has already peed in the cage. Please help, is there any hope for her? I own a 3 year old husky and I did not have any of these problems when training her.

Sincerely,

Gadget Girl

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 22, 2003, 10:38 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GadgetGirl327] Puppy peeing in cage [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey~ Sounds like your st.bernard is doing that for "purpose"! so she could get up onto your bedWink

Have you tried paper-training?
When i trained my , i just followed behind him everytime he wanted to pee inside the house, and when he was in the posture, i'll quickly slip newspapers beneath him.... soon he would realise to pee/poo on the papers. (I used absorbent under the newspaper). After he knew to get to the papers for his "business", then everytime i saw him get near to the papers, I'll bring him out to the backyard.
Since he enjoyed being out there, later he realised he gotto let me know when he needs to pee/poo.

You may scold him if he pee/poo at any forbidden area, but do it WHEN it happen and at the spot.

Is it a MUST that you have to crate her? Coz I think it might not good to size down the crate as she's "giant size" dog and need spacious room to move around. If she keep lying down or sit inside the crate, it's not good for her hips/bones/joints structure.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

kaerb

Jan 22, 2003, 10:15 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1633 views)
Shortcut

hey..how about making her crate a comfortable place..so she would know the crate is for her to sleep and nothing else. No puppy wants to soil her sleeping area. what she is doing now is probably that she is confused. You said she sleeps on your bed at night ..perhaps that's why she does not view her crate as a sleeping and rest area. Make her crate a super comfy area..like putting a soft comforter or mat inside the crate. Maybe you should also try not to let her sleep on the bed.
Paper training works for us too..can try also.
yours,
rach

sean

Dec 28, 2004, 1:45 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1103 views)
Shortcut

hi, may i know how u train ur husky as i just get a husky.

I found a bit difficult to train him compare with my GR, BOXER and SHIH TZU, coz he seen like ignore ppl and do his own thing, not really close to ppl. Do u face this problem?

Hope that u can share some experience for taking care husky, he having sick now..... is it need to keep it 24 hrs in air con?

thank you very much.

Regards,

Sean

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....
Jojo-GR[m], Bobby-BOXER[m], Gigi-ACS[f], Jewie-GR[f]

Please sign in SPCA petition for enhanced protection against animals in Malaysia.
www.catzmedia.com/spca/petitions/index.asp

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my