IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Unhealthy Shih Tzu hair!

meiyoong

Sep 4, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2724 views)
Shortcut
Unhealthy Shih Tzu hair! Can't Post

My 1 1/2 years old shih tzu's fur at his back are really dry and not healthy. I would to ask if anyone could suggest to me way to improve the coat quality beside taking supplements.I apply conditioner when bathinh him but still the fur at his back are dry and all are standing. Pls help!

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 5, 2004, 11:44 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Unhealthy Shih Tzu hair! [In reply to] Can't Post

check the vet mayb they will say what is happenin 2 ur shih tzu

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Sep 6, 2004, 1:55 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Sometimes this could due to genetic problem. Some dogs are born with rough hair because that is their inheritance from the dog's parents. There is really nothing much we can do. Other thing you can try is to change dog food. Some dog depended on the dog they eat and the hair changes. I have a friend who just feed Eukanuba to his silkies and the hair coat is extremely beautiful.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

cnfs

Sep 14, 2004, 9:57 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Hello meiyoong,

I too have a shih tzu named Coco. The fur on the topline towards the tail is quite curly and relatively rough too. I have her on cod liver fish oil and Canidae which are supposed to be great for coat. I also use showdog quality shampoo and conditioner but the fur is still quite messy there. Nothing much I can do but to comb more often with sprays of diluted conditioner. Good luck!

Regards,
Mr.Chris

a_evie
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 5:08 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cnfs] Unhealthy Shih Tzu hair! [In reply to] Can't Post

some st have rougher hair...these rough ones are the ones that you can have all sorts of designs and hair styles.

sometimes it probably is rough too when they groomer uses a tool that is perhaps blunt...shalom's last grooming session was quite bad as it has given her mangles and her ends look dry. so..now that it is long enuf for a trim..she's going in for a trim again to rid the dry ends.

we have tried this grooming spray..blue color with the pic of a poodle on it...quite good with tangles and softens a lot.

cnfs

Sep 16, 2004, 7:39 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Unhealthy Shih Tzu hair! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a_evie!!! May I know how else I can get rid of the smell from her beard other than using cornstarch? I feed my coco dry kibbles slightly soaked with chicken's broth and some vege. Everytime after food, I cleaned her facial fur with damp cloth and then dry it up with another cloth. But the smell is still there. Now every day I have to mask the smell with baby powder and cornstarch every other day. Maybe I will try some self-rinse shampoo. Any advice?

Regards,
Mr.Chris

(This post was edited by cnfs on Sep 16, 2004, 7:42 AM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Sep 19, 2004, 8:00 AM

Post #7 of 14 (2572 views)
Shortcut

hmm...i do brush her after her wiping down with a damp cloth..however...on days that her face is extra wet due to her extremely wet nose....it will still smell slightly.

i believe her face is extremely wet since she is hot....but when we place a fan directly in front of her or when she is in the ac room...she is nice and dry...whilst the nose is as usual heathily wet.

cnfs

Sep 20, 2004, 12:45 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Thanks a_evie for sharing! Angelic Wish to see more pictures of Shalom. You posted any?

Regards,
Mr.Chris

a_evie
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2004, 10:12 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2511 views)
Shortcut

have taken her pics..but never got down to putting up her pics...hehe done only 2 pics in the gallery....too tied down with work..and any other time left..i actually prefer to spend it with her lor...hmmm...perhaps when i take my much needed break come christmas..i'll rope myself to upload her pics.

cnfs

Sep 29, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2504 views)
Shortcut

hehe...take it easy lor... no need to rope yourself lah..... i'll ask coco to lick you until u surrender...hehehe....just kidding...Crazy

Regards,
Mr.Chris

a_evie
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2004, 5:38 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2468 views)
Shortcut

hehe...i wish i could just release myself from work. so how was the rdo. we went there late....pretty much missed most ppl!

cnfs

Oct 5, 2004, 6:26 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2464 views)
Shortcut

oh there were so many people and doggies at the rdo...we went there quite early....kiasu mah...got nice door gift.....you manage to get it? coco and i didn't stay long....i am scared coco might get fleas and ticks from the grass there...suppose to put her on frontline drop...... the weather's too hot so we couldn't stand long either.... hope to meet up with you and shalom next time lor....

Regards,
Mr.Chris

a_evie
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2004, 5:34 AM

Post #13 of 14 (2400 views)
Shortcut

hmmm

the ticks issue...quite tricky...but i did spray my girl with tea tree oil (diluted with water)..she came home clean!

p24puff
New User

Oct 28, 2004, 12:49 PM

Post #14 of 14 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Hello I have a Shi Tzu although he does not have that problem. Are these dry hair areas only in certain spots? Perhaps his hair in certain spots are thicker than other areas which seems as if it is dry hair.

Have you tried changing his diet?
Jessica

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my