My Shih Tzu need help!

janewong
Novice

Sep 1, 2004, 8:00 AM

Post #1 of 8 (7145 views)
Shortcut
My Shih Tzu need help! Can't Post

Dear all,

Hi! I'm new here. I got a Shih Tzu (see the picture) and she's having skin problem. First of all, her name is Miffy and she is 3++ years old. I'm giving her Regal Lamb and Rice bites. Usually I'll mix some wet food (cesar) with the biscuit because she got a fussy eating habit. Besides, I'll give her some meat balls as rewards everyday. I usually keep her hair short as this is much easier to take care especially of the hot weather here. The problem started about a month ago while I was playing with her, I noticed her belly got some red spot looks like a pimple and also looks like some insects bites. I thought that maybe the weather is too hot for her because at that time, she should go for her hair cut again. The hair was quite alot (to me). About a week plus later, the spots were still there and this time, it looks greenish in color. I started to worry because of the puss-like spots. I brought her to the vet and the vet asked me why don't I bring Miffy to visit him earlier because the spots had stayed on the body for some time already, the only thing is i didn't noticed because of the long hair. The vet gave Miffy a jab and some medicines. He aslo asked me to changed the shampoo. The shampoo that i bought from the vet is Bexton Triseb. It is an antifungal and antidandruff medicated shampoo. When i brush her hair, something white color like dandruff came out from her skin. After I bathed her with the shampoo, and finished the medicine that the vet gave, her spots (pimples) disappeared. But I haven't cut her hair yet that time, that's why I can't see her skin directly as it is all covered up by her hair. I thought she had totally recovered, so I never bring her back to visit the vet. About a week later, my sister brought her to her new home. First, my sister said that she acted strangely at her new house. But we thought that it's normal because they never been to that place before. A week later, she started to adapt to the new environment. But the bad news is, my sister noticed that the spots appear again, and this time the pimples are much bigger than the last time and got green color in it. Yesterday, I shaved off her hair...then I was so shocked to see that the pimples are all over on her skin. I straight away bring her to the vet, and the vet said that this time is quite serious, and gave her another jab and some medicines again. I explained to the vet about my miffy new environment and told him about her diet too and asked the vet what is the caused of the skin problem, and he said that it's difficult to know what really causing the problem, but he said it might be the new environment because the dog haven't 100% recovered and changed to a new living environment, this will caused the dog some stress and will caused the skin to have problems again. I'm really worry about my Miffy now. I don't know what to do besides of giving her medicines and applying cream.

Can anyone please let me know that what the vet said is correct or not based on the situation of my dog which I have wrote above? I need your advice and opinions. Please help. Hope that I will get some reply as soon as possible. Thank You.

Jane Wong

(This post was edited by janewong on Sep 1, 2004, 8:06 AM)

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 5, 2004, 10:28 PM

Post #2 of 8 (6835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janewong] My Shih Tzu need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi sorry bout ur shih tzu. Is she okey now? U shouldnt give ur dog meatballs bcs they r heaty n bad 4 the dog. U should b careful of what u feed him everyday. Dun feed 2 much of food. N dun simply give the dog what it wants. Poor dog of yours. U better take good care of ur dog.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 7, 2004, 8:01 AM

Post #3 of 8 (6805 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

It sounds like your dog has a serious skin condition ...

From your posting ...

(a) The "pimples" have not cleared up even though you have been apply medicated shampoo & giving the pills that your vet recommended ...

(b) You describe the pimples as being pussy (which is indicative of a bacterial infection setting in) ... Your vet probably just prescribed some antibiotics - hoping that the skin condition will go away ... sometimes that works but most often that does not ... treating skin condition is more than just giving antibiotics and prescribing a shampoo ...

The condition has reappeared - and you say your vet is surprised? I wonder why???

The skin condition you describe can be caused by a variety of reasons ... from something as simple stress, to an allergy to the detergent you use on the floor, or an allergy to food ... or a bacterial, yeast and/or parasitic infection ...

The way to help your dog is to get her to an experienced, good & knowledgeable vet who is prepared to eliminate possible causes one by one and then prescribe the correct treatment. So, please take your dog as soon as possible to a good vet who will run some basic tests to try and isolate and diagnose the cause of the skin condition.

Home treatment without experience is not recommended.

All the best ...

Mey Lim SM

Sep 19, 2004, 6:32 AM

Post #4 of 8 (6756 views)
Shortcut

Yes, it is adviserble to visit another vet..... one more thing, what dog biscuit you feed your dog with? Check if the protein level is too high for your dog. Protein is good but when the level is too high, the dog body temperature tend to rise and not every dogs are able to adapt to it. When the body temperature is high, the skin may easily become oily and become homes for bacteria.

janewong
Novice

Nov 6, 2004, 9:25 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mey Lim SM] My Shih Tzu need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

dear mey lim,

can u suggest to me which level of protein of dog food is suitable for miffy's skin condition?

i have changed another brand of dog food now....it is california natural lamb and rice...

i have not been online for some time....but the condition of my dog is still the same...if it is not getting

worse...it's only because i bring her to the vet and the vet gave me some medicines...but once the

medicines finished, the red spots reappear on the skin again...i'm so worry and heartbroken to see my

dog in such condition... what i plan to do later this afternoon is bring my dog to the vet again...

another problem is...her paws...i discovered that she like to lick her paws..but what is really going on is

the skin of one of her paws a swollen....and looks wet too.... i don't know what caused this...but

this problem has occured many times already...the skin will swollwen and i week or more later..it will

become normal again...but what is bad is....it will come again in some time...

i am so worry...pls help..FrownFrown

Mey Lim SM

Nov 11, 2004, 6:04 AM

Post #6 of 8 (6421 views)
Shortcut

If your dog is constently having skin problem, there are some dog biscuit specially design for this purpose. Look for this two brand, Ekunuba and ANF. For Ekunuba is silver packing, for skin problem one, ANF will be the Turkey and Barley type... Since there are so many types of brands in the market nowadays, I'm not familiar with all of them, some other brands maybe have this similar types and I may not know it.

Unless your dog's skin problem is due to inheritage, than there should be way to cure it. Inheritance skin problem can be cure, but they will come back once in a while.

Antibiotic is needed and I do believe your vet will give you some, make sure you finished it.

Frequent bath is advisorble too...... however, I do think you should cut your shih tzu hair short, it will be much easier for you.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2004, 6:30 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6410 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Given the symptoms that you describe ... red spots that subside when antibiotics are prescribed, but return when you stop giving antibiotics ... pistules (pimples) with pus ... flaking skin ... and now ...

" ... i discovered that she like to lick her paws..but what is really going on is the skin of one of her paws a swollen....and looks wet too ..."

What you are describing is likely to be a "hot spot" ...

www.canismajor.com/dog/hotspots.html

It is unlikely that your dog's current skin condition is caused just by the protein in the kibble ... protein "hives" are quite different ...

I suspect the underlying cause to be a little more serious.

I repeat my previous suggestion ... please take your dog to a vet who understands skin ailments ... a good vet will know what tests to do, to try and identify the cause of your dog's condition.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 11, 2004, 6:40 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2004, 8:45 AM

Post #8 of 8 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

I did have the experience with my first dog before. Usually this is cause by too much feeding of dog food. You must follow the guildline lor At first, I like you bring to see vet and try changes dog food and the problem will just come and go and come again. Been trying so many thing. But at last the problem solve. Feed less give some glucose to cool down their body temp. and for about 1 week time you see the problem go away.

For dog food that Mey Lim say is the Eukanuba Response Formula FP. Contain only fish and something like rice. Sorry ar forgot. hehehe. No chicken, lamb, by-product and etc. Very expensive also lor. Try before but did't help my dog skin problem lor.

This is my personal experience. Hope its help ya.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my