Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
BEAGLE HELP!!!

astrojulie
Novice

Jan 21, 2003, 7:55 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2319 views)
Shortcut
BEAGLE HELP!!! Can't Post

Is it true that all Beagles like to run away? i'm looking for a dog and i really want a Beagle, tehy seem liek the perfect pet, so do all beagles would run away from a fenced yard (dig under the fence?) if they smell a rabbit? Can you train them not to? I don't want to be heartbroken if my Beagle runs away, but can I easily train them not to? Or should I jsut look for a different dog Frown?
~Many Good Dog Years!~

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2003, 1:50 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astrojulie] BEAGLE HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi astrojulie,

As you'd probably know from your research on Beagles, they live by their noses and that can get them into trouble too! When they pick up a scent, they're likely to bolt, which explains why it's important to keep them on leash when out walking. Similarly, if they're left alone for too long, they'll find their own adventure by picking up scents. So, they follow the scent and become escape artists!!

Having said that, I'm sure they can be trained to follow their masters. I've often wondered how do they train those beagles that are used in hunts. They run all over the place but at the end of the day, return to the masters ??!! Hmmmm ....?

astrojulie
Novice

Jan 26, 2003, 9:05 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] BEAGLE HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, but around here it's a bit easy to get run over by a car off-leash. But nevermind, thanks anyway!
~Many Good Dog Years!~

kbs
Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2003, 9:21 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Hi astrojulie,

I currently own two beagles, Snuffy (17 months old female beagle) & Archie (4 months old male).
I must say training beagles are really a challenge.. Snuffy has never even once not going missing everytime I let her go offleash Crazy, either chasing butterfly or wonder off elsewhere and not even responding to her name. For beagle owners, unless ur beagles are really well-trained as hunter and know how to come back, always leash them up when they are outdoor.

Regards,
KBS

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2003, 12:47 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] BEAGLE HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

haha kbs u must hv nearly gotten a heart attack when Snuffy wudn't come out of the bushes last Saturday...guess she was really fascinated with those purrty butterflies...she must hv really enjoyed herself very much! And because of her Rex, Nous and Biscuit joined the search party and ran around the muddy field and everyone ended up with mud and lovegrass all over their legs and pants LOL

kbs
Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2003, 1:29 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] BEAGLE HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gina,

Yeah, I was already thinking last saturday if she refuse to come out, dielah I have camp at the muddy field until she decided to try adventure elsewhere. Thank to my friend that willingly to dip herself into those mud pool to drag her out. Laugh.

My worst experience with her was when I first move to my current place, she ran out suddenly when someone open the door and ran straight to the main road.. Few of my friends basically ran to the road with her and some had to stop the car from passing and others chased after her Crazy. There were many cars passing at that time and one of the van needs to do emergency brake..

Regards,
KBS

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2003, 1:48 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Waahh Snuffy the escape artist! Yah u better be careful next time...thank god she was ok....Biscuit also escaped once over here....he managed to get out frm under the fence coz he saw a stray dog....luckily my neighbour alerted me coz they saw him...he chased the stray dog while i chased after him Crazy...now we put a few bricks along the fence to block it up.

kbs
Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2003, 2:00 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] BEAGLE HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I am now extra careful when about to open the gate/door for visitor. I will most of the time put her upstairs first or locked her with the baby gate.

She is now at Pre-Novice, I don't know why I have a feeling she will never go pass beyond Novice becoz from Novice onwards, are all off leash..Unsure

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2003, 2:15 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Hi kbs,

Yup, Bodhi has had her fair share of "escaping". She also ran out from the front gate once when my dad opened the gate. She literally slipped between my dad's legs and off she went.....happily chasing after a passing stray Crazy. Being her friendly nature, she was sniffing up and playing with the stray which was abt 3 times bigger than her and very dirtyCrazy. Bodhi was only 5.5 mths old that time. Needless to say, Bodhi just wouldn't listen when we called her backMad. I had to calmly walk up and pick her up myself. Yucks !!!! We had to thoroughly clean her up after that. Maybe I should have name Bodhi, HOUDINI !!!! Hehe!

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2003, 2:15 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Well you can try, she might just surprise u...but then u still hv Archie! It'll be interesting to see if both of them hv any differences in their focus on obedience training Smile

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2003, 6:30 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2255 views)
Shortcut

hi astrojulie

my dog is a very stubborn mongrel. and she has a nose like a beagle (i think so anyway.) She used to run off loads and also refuse to come when she had been let off the leash (in a secure park). anyway, we have been working together (i.e. she has been training me) and we now have a system in that as long as i exercise her regularly and keep her occupied, she won't peg it when the opportunity arises.

what i am trying to say is that, with training and you keeping her occupied, you should be able to manage. also consider buying an extendable leash. my two love theirs. also consider keeping your dog indoors. there will be less distractions. whenever i get home, the sofa is nice and warm in two spots... i know where they've been...hehehehe
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my