IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
need help in drying up my dog!

chongmeng_soh

Jan 21, 2003, 5:11 AM

Post #1 of 15 (3610 views)
Shortcut
need help in drying up my dog! Can't Post

i have difficulty in dry up my dog every time after bath....i have try to use hair dryer and happen to let them dry up if the whether is not too cold but seem this few week always in the raining day it's quite hard for me to bath them. i have saw the blower in pet grooming shop..would like to buy one ...is anyone got any idea where can i get this kind of blower? or anyone got any good idea or method in this case ...might to share a bit wz me? thanks in advance!Smile
sohchongmeng.spaces.live.com/

(This post was edited by chongmeng_soh on Jan 21, 2003, 5:21 AM)

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 7:20 AM

Post #2 of 15 (3606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chongmeng_soh] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry, dont know about dog hairdryers, as my dogs can;t stand dryers... but if you cant wash your dog in the middle of the day when it is generally not raining, how about just give him baths at weekends? We find no problem drying our dogs, we towel dry them and then they go berzerk adn tear round the garden and slowly dry off, but we do it early in the day so its still quite hot, so they dont catch a chill...

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 6:13 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

helo,

Hair dryer is also a no no for jaz...She'll go crazy and start snapping at it..Crazy Even when we are not using the hair dryer on her, but for ourself she'll start growling, jumping about and barking at the hair dryer...siau cha boh..SlyLaugh
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 7:46 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3595 views)
Shortcut

Get a good thick towel.. that can absorb water fast.. i wouldn't really recommend hair dryer as it might damage our dog's coat.. especially if they are long... after drying and using the big comb and do comb it right and left, it will dry up faster.. Then, time to play 'fetch', usually after shower, they feel comfortable and awake! they will be more than happy to run after thier rubber duck.. and as they run.. thier coat will get dry even faster.. best to do it under the sun.

blue-eden
Novice

Jan 25, 2003, 8:03 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Neat tips Sly I use a dryer on my silkies. Just remember to put on low so that the coat is not damaged. If coat damage is really a concern then use conditioner. I started my kids on the dryer when they were about six weeks old so they sort of enjoy the sensation. They hate it when the air gets their ears though. Then they'll do the cutest thing with their paws rubbing thier ears. I agree with you that they somehow seem to enjoy their clean coat and run up and down in joy.

wuf

blue eden

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 11:04 AM

Post #6 of 15 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blue-eden] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there! you own a silky as well?! i try to avoid using hair dryer unless during cold rainy days.. do not want to damage her coat.. but do you have any good recommendation in making the coat to become even nicer and better? do you have any advise or specific vitamins that you give your silky?

lisachew

Jan 27, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #7 of 15 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Hello

I used my vacumm cleaner to blow dry Teddy. LaughCrazy
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 28, 2003, 12:03 AM

Post #8 of 15 (3573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

you use a vacumm to blow dry your Teddy??Shocked how? wont the vacumm suck up all the fur???
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

lisachew

Jan 28, 2003, 1:15 AM

Post #9 of 15 (3569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

It wont suck up all the fur if you attach the hose in another part where the air is letting out. Wink
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jan 28, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3565 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I normally using hair dryer to blow-dry yippi’s coats. I also afraid that the hair dryer will damage our fur kid's coats, but I have no choice b coz normally I will bath yippi at night. So I have to dry yippi’s coat every time after bathing. I really don’t know that vacuum cleaner can be used to blow-dry our fur kid’s coats. Wonder is it really work???

Smile Eliza

lisachew

Jan 28, 2003, 7:42 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello

It really works...as the air are stronger..where you also can adjust the volume (depend on your vacuum cleaner). Furthermore, its not hot like the hair dryer that will cause dryness to the coat.

Anyway, before using it, always make sure that you start the vacuum for a sec or two before blowing on them, just to make sure that there is no dirt being blown out which may cause harm to their eyes.

Well, I learned of using the vacuum cleaner from a pet shop when they groom Teddy. Wink

Also make sure that dun blow directly into their eyes as its quite a uncomfortable.

Well, you can try it if you want too. No harm anyway, correct me if I am wrong guys.Laugh
Regards
Lisa

blue-eden
Novice

Jan 30, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #12 of 15 (3549 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I used to give them supplments when I first got them but hav esince stopped. I can't remember the name but it was a vitamin B supplement I think. I feel that supplements are not really necessary unless you kid is ill or is having pups. Other wise a good balanced food is enough. I use Science Diet. I must say that I do not act as a spokes person or anythingSly, but I notice that after giving my dog the food the coat can be seen to visibly become better. I also have a pomeranian whch has survived for 14 years on various food including science diet. Her coat changes as the food changes. I also had a shih-tzu which was the same. I read that giving supplements might actually upset the balance of the dog food. I don't know if this is true. Anyone care to share? Wuf

blue eden

chongmeng_soh

Feb 9, 2003, 12:27 AM

Post #13 of 15 (3534 views)
Shortcut

thank for your info lisa. will go to get a vacumm cleanner after then~...keep in touch ya ~ cy
sohchongmeng.spaces.live.com/

cyphang
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2003, 1:32 AM

Post #14 of 15 (3521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blue-eden] need help in drying up my dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend's samoyed, Sonic will actually sit infront of the mirror with his front paws crossed, and admiring himself with a facial expression "I am so handsome daddy" after he's washed and blown ! So cute....!
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

cyphang
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2003, 1:35 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3520 views)
Shortcut

Ever since I feed Sunnie with home cooked and raw foods, her coat has grown darker and better as well. I also give her flaxseed oil, thinking of switching to cod liver oil later, cheaper !
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

(This post was edited by cyphang on Feb 12, 2003, 1:42 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my