Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Dog bitting car!!!!

jasonlel
Novice

Aug 27, 2004, 4:03 PM

Post #1 of 23 (3839 views)
Shortcut
Dog bitting car!!!! Can't Post

Hey guys & gals.... need your advice here.

I have a close to a year old female bullmastiff. My dog likes to bite my car Mad She use to scratch and bite cars, but has stop long ago. BUT, recently she start to bite off my car reverse sensor Pirate How to stop them from biting cars!!! Please advice.....

Regards,

Jason X

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 29, 2004, 5:40 AM

Post #2 of 23 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonlel] Dog bitting car!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beat her backside when she starts bitting. Say no when u beat him/her. How many times this happen b4? U can just keep ur bullmastiff away from ur car.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Beauty_n_Lee
Novice

Jun 23, 2005, 3:01 AM

Post #3 of 23 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Same problem here. Beauty had already chewed up 4 door protectorsMad and a plastic strip at the door panel. dont know how she did it but the plastic strip is fastened hard onto the door. (mine is a Wira Aeroback).

The first time she did it we didnt manage to catch her in action but we did punish her a bit. 2nd time she tried to bite the car no. plate.. its a bit chipped off now. 3rd time, in the middle of the nite, my hubby caught her in action and then beat her backside and scolded her.

we are getting a new car soon and are very very worried that she'll start destroying the car in no time. Unsure

any advice?

thanks.

Frown Me : Agnes
Blush Hubby : Terry
Frown Doggie : Beauty

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2005, 11:43 PM

Post #4 of 23 (3394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beauty_n_Lee] Dog bitting car!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My GSD have been biting my car & I have not found a way to stop him. They say to get a spray to discourage the dog (i think it is bitter apple) but it does not work.
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

Beauty_n_Lee
Novice

Jun 30, 2005, 2:21 AM

Post #5 of 23 (3390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Dog bitting car!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

gosh!Crazy can't be help?? gone is my new car!!

anyway, nice meeting you Khoo

Frown Me : Agnes
Blush Hubby : Terry
Frown Doggie : Beauty

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 30, 2005, 7:50 PM

Post #6 of 23 (3383 views)
Shortcut

It is a little tricky. You have to sit back and analyze the situation and your dog’s mood, the timing, his degree of sensitivity and his level of activity.

It could be related to jealousy, anxiety, or boredom. Each condition needs a different approach or if you prefer another treatment.

The spray is a solution with bitter apple in it (some have lemon) and it works, but only when your dog ate that stuff because he was hungry and it tasted good. The spray would spoil the taste and he would loose the desire to eat it.

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 1, 2005, 9:13 PM

Post #7 of 23 (3375 views)
Shortcut

hey there,,

my old dog used to bite our cars too until 4 cars without protector and sometimes signal light... this is wht u can do...:

1: try tongkat ali.. slice and boil it in water and then apply to ur car bumpers or protectors with a brush..but sometimes dogs like the bitter taste.. it doesnt work for my dog but some are quite effective

2: this one 90% works.. u know minyak angin?? cap kapak?? well apply tht and it work wonders for my dog...thts how we put a stop to it..

3: some they boil water with pepper pwder or just mix pepper powder with water and apply...have not tried this but some told me it works..

so there u go...try it out for yourself..
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2005, 6:10 PM

Post #8 of 23 (3357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Dog bitting car!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's boredom.....I tried the spray but my GSD just keep on chewing!!!

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2005, 6:12 PM

Post #9 of 23 (3356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Dog bitting car!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongkat Ali??? Are you sure??? Later my GSD will develop humping problem as well.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 3, 2005, 4:50 AM

Post #10 of 23 (3348 views)
Shortcut

Well, that is the main problem with most GSD. They are very smart and get easily bored. They need a job and to be part of a family.

You can try other remedies to safe your car, but he will find something else, if boredom is the reason.

In Malaysia it is really difficult to efficiently working with your dog. To many rules, banned areas and also to hot.If can, then take the dog inside the house. If this is not possible then try to fence a shady area for him. Just be aware that the smaller area might trigger another nuisance behavior, e.g. barking, digging, etc.

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 3, 2005, 10:48 AM

Post #11 of 23 (3347 views)
Shortcut

hi khoo...

hmm..welllll i dunno about tht but to boost up the male hormones is not a bad idea,,ahhahahaa...thts wht my vet recommended when my dog chew things but its not so effective for my doggie as he likes bitter taste,..ehhehee
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2005, 12:21 AM

Post #12 of 23 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Funny thing is...he only bite the car bumper at night. On sundays, when i'm in....he never bite the bumper.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 6, 2005, 7:30 PM

Post #13 of 23 (3314 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like boredom. When you are at home then he has to watch, observe and anticipate family’s movements and actions. He never knows what happen next and he is to busy to figure that out.

At night, he knows the routine around the house and neighborhood, he is getting bored and the bumper seems to be the perfect item to release some tension.

Try to break the routine with some night activities and some “duties” for him. Probably, the land area to small to keep him busy with patrol work?Did you try to walk him late night to get him more tired then usual?

a_evie
Doggyman

Jul 7, 2005, 8:53 AM

Post #14 of 23 (3308 views)
Shortcut

try polishing your car!

we find that polishing our cars seem like a deterent only when the reason for chewing is boredom related. but to avoid other damages, we also look to provide entertainment for the furkids like toys, hidden treats etc.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2005, 6:14 PM

Post #15 of 23 (3306 views)
Shortcut

Night duties??? 3am in the morning. I also have to sleep lah....

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 8, 2005, 6:24 PM

Post #16 of 23 (3296 views)
Shortcut

Haha, not every night. What I meant was a surprise activity. If you suddenly come out and “search” with him the garden. Dig-out some “treasures” from his digging spot, etc.
At the moment, he knows your way of life and that absolutely nothing happen during night, so he feels bored. Break that rule and bring in some degree of uncertainty.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2005, 9:28 PM

Post #17 of 23 (3283 views)
Shortcut

I did the surprise activity with my dog. Didn't work. After i went in, he starts chewing on my bumper again.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 19, 2005, 7:25 PM

Post #18 of 23 (3275 views)
Shortcut

Haha, the next time you should feed your dog, so that he does not need to chew on your bumpers instead.Laugh

Seriously, it might be just a bad habit or you got one of those little devils who are trying to eat our nerves.

Bad habit could be changed but a little devil will be this way forever.

We had once a dog with such a character and it did cost us a lot of nerves. I took turns with my dad to watch the fellow each night and spray water on him (from a hidden survey post) each time he started his nonsense. Unfortunately, he was a little devil and when we eliminated one bad habit, he invented another one.Hope you will be more successful. Good Luck.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2005, 8:54 PM

Post #19 of 23 (3274 views)
Shortcut

I think he's just bored. Nothing to do at night. No cats to chase. Did you manage to stop him by biting the bumper by spraying water?? Might be worth a try. You mention that he develop another bad habit. Care to eloborate? (Maybe he switched to biting you instead?? ahahhahahahah)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 19, 2005, 9:40 PM

Post #20 of 23 (3269 views)
Shortcut

YES, whatever he was into – we could make him stop doing it by disturbing him each time by spraying water. A small toy water gun is just fine, but I guess that a normal water hose nozzle will do the job as well.

However, he was a dog with a little devil inside him and could not stay out of trouble when alone for more then 3 hours – usually happen at night.He mauled the fence, turned my swing into shred, changed my bicycle to a chewing toy, dug out a tree, killed anything that entered our compound (neighbor’s cats, rats, squirrels, birds, etc.) and placed it next to our entrance door. My mother wasn’t very excited about it. Several times, he broke out just to roam around or to chase an intruder (see above) to death. Each time we had to repair the fencing, the gate or fill up a hole. We restarted our night watch and he was OK, but it never lasted very long.

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Jul 22, 2005, 10:57 AM

Post #21 of 23 (3262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Dog bitting car!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

The BEST way is to KEEP THE CAR AWAY from our lovely FURKIDS ! Hahahah

That's what happen when they get bored especially at night... It happened to my sister's Satria(it was only one months old at that time) when she parked it at our father's house in PD. Can you imagine I have 5 furkids there ? One night only, reverse sensor gone, mud flap gone and bumper scratches...Tongue

Even my car is full of scrtaches because my GR loves going for car rides.. when she sees my car she will start standing on 2 legs at the car body... some of my friends realize the scratches and even asked me did I hurt anyone feelings and they took revenge by scratching my car.... hahahha

No choice.. still have to forgive them.. what to do too sayang them already ...
A Dog Never Lies About Love

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005, 8:38 PM

Post #22 of 23 (3241 views)
Shortcut

He is suppose to be the guard dog...not me guarding him...

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 26, 2005, 9:46 PM

Post #23 of 23 (3236 views)
Shortcut

Cool Right, but sometimes they are able to turn it around and making us watching over them. Crazy

Anyway, that fellow was one of a kind and we had more then we did bargain for, e.g. he killed any creature entering our compound. I was happy that he took care of the rats & mice but got into problems with the neighbor when he did not spare the chicken & cats. Started wondering when he brought birds and squirrels as well.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my