dad's gsd wish

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ronaldo7
Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2004, 3:17 AM

Post #51 of 56 (899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkie] dad's gsd wish [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for replying although it's kinda late. got my gsd now. if you notice she's growing up well and her pix can be seen in my avatar. cheers anyway!

feel free to add them up if you own dogster

tiska the labrador trap in gsd body!
http://www.dogster.com/?71145

shan the sharpei look a like!
http://www.dogster.com/?29137

Raphael
Dog Kichi

Mar 5, 2005, 6:33 AM

Post #52 of 56 (846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] dad's gsd wish [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

since you're into this topic, how can u actually tell whether it's from miller or not? any difference to spot??

Simple. Get the breeder to tell u the history of this dog and their 5 generation ancestor one by one and why he makes this breeding of this sire n dam. Tongue Then ask him if he worked the dog himself? Then ask him to show off a bit in working his dog.

Puppy miller will give u the dumb shock look when u asked the questions.....SlyLaughWinkCool

I think the most they will answer u is.....errr....dont worry lah. This one got cert one...got microchip one. Champion line......I could go on but they will always talk very generally and generally means sales talk. You will know it when u hear it Blush

PSD,really admire and salute your patience and just to add my 2 cents,if you buying any pure breed dog,specially GSD,you have to DEMAND on seeing the hips tests and x-rays for both parents,and proofs they BOTH are free from HD,any breeder who fails to show these proofs,is a CONMAN,and has to be stopped

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 7, 2005, 8:25 PM

Post #53 of 56 (821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raphael] dad's gsd wish [In reply to] Can't Post

PSD,really admire and salute your patience and just to add my 2 cents,if you buying any pure breed dog,specially GSD,you have to DEMAND on seeing the hips tests and x-rays for both parents,and proofs they BOTH are free from HD,any breeder who fails to show these proofs,is a CONMAN,and has to be stopped

Hahaha Raphael, Thanks for the kudos. I'm not usually that patience in real life. Actually your suggestion is good but it depends on how many people can read such xrays. If one can read XRAYS then is is not a NEWBIE anymore . Also such test cannot prove their temprements. I have a simpler way....see the parents in action is the best deal

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Raphael
Dog Kichi

Mar 14, 2005, 7:25 AM

Post #54 of 56 (786 views)
Shortcut

PSD

hip test is one of the most important tests that should be taken,then temprement,if a dog temprement is super(both)and hips are not,these pure bred dogs should never ,NEVER,be bred,and hips test should come with a cert. to state the findings when they are positive

temprement can be controled by culling and spaying poor temp. pups,but hips?no chance to confirm before 12 months of age

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 14, 2005, 5:53 PM

Post #55 of 56 (781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raphael] dad's gsd wish [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PSD

hip test is one of the most important tests that should be taken,then temprement,if a dog temprement is super(both)and hips are not,these pure bred dogs should never ,NEVER,be bred,and hips test should come with a cert. to state the findings when they are positive

temprement can be controled by culling and spaying poor temp. pups,but hips?no chance to confirm before 12 months of age

Raphael,

Yes I agree hips are very important. Still it is just half of the story as far as GSD breed standard is in concern. Perhaps I was looking at it more from a working perspective since I'm a working dog fan. However, even in show Standard, temprement was also listed in it and should apply for all. A real total dog should have temprement for it and the physiques to be able to carry on the job its bred for. If we are buying a pups.....I would go first for its temprement and drives. Checking out the temprements and working drives of the parents will also show how physically well they are. Believe me CHD dogs will show it during test. CHD is not only a genetic issue and many cases are related to owners issues. Diet is a primary concern. Just my thoughts. Cheers

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

(This post was edited by PSD on Mar 14, 2005, 5:58 PM)

racherik
Novice

Mar 14, 2005, 7:29 PM

Post #56 of 56 (765 views)
Shortcut

Here's some thoughts for this thread......If you want to be really sure about your purchase and already have plans to spend good money for it, why not get expert advice from a good vet? You can pay for a vet to come and do a vet check before you buy the puppy. You'll be spending a bit more with the chance that it may fail the vet-check, but isn't it worth it if you think about the potential long term, future health problems that you will have to pay for or the heart-ache of seeing your pet have to suffer or worse have to be put down?

There are also some web-sites with information on "how to choose your puppy". Much of it is by instinct like if there is an immediate connection between the two of you, but there are certain signs you can look for with their behaviour and tests that you can perform, on site, to ascertain what character this puppy has. For example, I went to see a puppy some time back and decided against it cos it was nervous and didn't like being held. Then I saw it's sire and he was very aggressive. So, I figured this puppy may be prone to fear-biting in the future - with this aggressive gene.

Another horror story : a GSD breeder recently traded one of his pups for a year old Great Dane. The owners of this Dane probably had grown tired of it (it was not trained at all and left outdoors all the time) and wanted a new puppy and he actually "traded" in one of his pups knowing full well the history this owner has with dogs!!! Then, tried to sell this Dane! A good breeder would want to know what kind of living conditions his pup/s would be going into, would insist on keeping in touch to check on the welfare of his pups as it grows up and would offer lots of information (health, temperament, a long list of the family tree, etc) about the pup without prompting. He would not even let you view the pup before it's had it's shots, let alone let you have it before 2/3 months old. Some will go as far as to make you sign a contract which will prohibit you from breeding with this pup - i.e. insisting that you have it neutered or spayed.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my