Pre-Novice Obedience

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 6:30 AM

Post #1 of 70 (2562 views)
Shortcut
Pre-Novice Obedience Can't Post

Hiya... have signed up Luckey for her pre-novice, so thought it would be nice to learn more. I notice from the booklet we got for the Basic, there was pre-novice and novice MOCK trial... so there is no exam as such? only competitions? or you get points in winning competitions and those go towards your titles? (like CDX eventually)?

Thanks!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 11:27 AM

Post #2 of 70 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Pre-Novice Obedience [In reply to] Can't Post

umm..

the mock trials in pre-novice and novice are not quite competitions.. just to prepare us for competitions in REAL obedience trials - it's exactly like a real obedience trial (but far more lineant, what i was told today) - hence the term mock trial. in one way, it's already considered an exam i guess, since the judge will allocate points and pass/fail the "participants"...

but the main objective is to give us the main idea for obedience trials - and have fun with our dogs. definitely no competition involved :)

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 4:16 AM

Post #3 of 70 (2542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Pre-Novice Obedience [In reply to] Can't Post

So if you "pass" the mock test, does your dog get a medal or certificate of any sort?

What happens in intermediate and above? no mock trials, you just go for the real thing when there are obedience shows? Did Hunter do a trial yesterday?

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #4 of 70 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Saw Hunter doing his off leash test....he was brilliant! Cool

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 7:00 PM

Post #5 of 70 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Pre-Novice Obedience [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooooh ... how cool is that! Cool we want to do dat! Are you planning to take Biscuit to the pet expo show?

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #6 of 70 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Yep....will definately be there Smile

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 1:29 AM

Post #7 of 70 (2521 views)
Shortcut

sad to tell u that, if u pass the "mock" test, there's no medal or certificate.... only the CGC kids get the goodies :D the whole point is to train u and ur doggy before going for the real thing, nothing more...

but if you manage to get into the first few placings, sometimes your kid would win herself a few bags of doggie food :D that is if they're giving food away during that graduation party. (sometimes they give, sometimes they don't).

bah. the food is not appealing enough anyway. just go for the pre-novice.. then go for the real trials and pass the real thing! that's more important! (even hunter didn't go for any real trials yet... we missed the last few trials because i always feel that i'm not ready for it!)

uhhh... oh yeah. i forgot. i'm not quite sure about intermediate class.. i heard it's a small class. but i'm not really sure why didn't they have a mock trial for them everytime...

by the way, if u want to go for the real intermediate trial, the requirement is that your dog have passed the real novice/pre-novice trials... (either one of it, or both.. not sure) .

that's why me and hunter are still stucked in novice. we haven't participated any trials before :((

ps : my dog went for novice trial yesterday. it's his 2nd time (the first time he passed too. but since we can't go on to intermediate, i continued his novice class again - he just love the classes. i can't bear to see him dissapointed.)

(This post was edited by hunter on Jan 22, 2003, 1:37 AM)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 1:41 AM

Post #8 of 70 (2516 views)
Shortcut

thanks ginl for the compliment :D

did biscuit went for exam too?

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 3:47 AM

Post #9 of 70 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter,

Why don't you sign up for the coming obedience championship trials this coming March? It'll be fun to have more puppy.com members there. You won't be lack for company. Myself, KhooBG will be entering. Plus we have the cheering team headed by Gina and Biscuit giving us encouragement from the ringside. Sly

Hunter is definitely ready for his pre-novice. At least enter him for that and get your pre-novice qualification cert. After that, you can then enter for the novice. If you are confident, you can enter for BOTH pre-novice and novice levels on the same day itself. That way Hunter can qualify two levels in one go. Only thing is that once Hunter qualifies for Novice, he can no longer participate in the pre-novice anymore. But what the heck, most of us just wants to qualify our furkids right?

Rdgs arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 6:12 AM

Post #10 of 70 (2509 views)
Shortcut

Well you should definitely take Hunter for the ob trials at the next show... am sure he would enjoy that even more than his classes Cool, if he enjoys those so much. And seeing how everyone has so much faith in Hunter, am sure he could earn his keep for a while with the prizemoney/food.

As for coming in the placings for the mopck trials, do u guys know who came tops yet, or you need to attend graduation and find out there? When we get our certificates at graduation, do our trainers come cheer their fur-students on?

How many dogs do pre-novice and how many move on to novice? Hey, if you "passed" your mock novice trial, can't you just go on to intermediate class even if you havent done the real trials yet?

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 6:36 AM

Post #11 of 70 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Biscuit should compete as well! you planning to take her? well, luckey, brinkley chris and myself will defintiely be there, whether to tsake part or watch. We'll see how it goes... starting luckey in prenovice in feb. Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #12 of 70 (2505 views)
Shortcut

At this moment we'll just settle with being the cheering team Wink....i just hope Biscuit won't distract any dogs in the ring...the last show we attended which was the Ipoh show last year he got a bit impatient frm sitting quietly while we watched the show and he started barking at the dogs inside the ring Crazy...had to keep taking him out of the hall for short breaks coz he just can't stay still for long...very 'mah fan' when i take him to dog shows.

I'm considering enrolling him into pre-novice again but not sure yet....obedience trial will definately be after attending the class coz it has been quite awhile since he does any exercise with the other dogs around....he has to get used to that idea again.

(This post was edited by ginl on Jan 22, 2003, 9:08 AM)

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 9:06 AM

Post #13 of 70 (2504 views)
Shortcut

Nah we just went there and...u know...kaypoh kaypoh a bit Tongue

I'm always in awe when i see dogs doing off leash training coz i just can't imagine Biscuit ever doing it lol

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 8:21 PM

Post #14 of 70 (2494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Pre-Novice Obedience [In reply to] Can't Post

hi arthur,

yeah i'm planning to sign up for this coming obedience trials... by the way, have u guys gotten the forms yet? i haven't got any yet! wow. a cheering team huh? that'll be cool. dogs and owners as cheerleaders, holding pom poms and cheering for us :))

i have to let him get the experience of the real trials... it's not him who is not ready. i'm not ready yet - always panic attack - until he also panic attack :P i might be entering for both at once... but considering that if he qualify novice and can't go for pre-novice again, i might have to reconsider (i was planning to let him take it 3 times, for experience sake)

by the way, just wondering, if i happen to pass pre-novice, is it possible to take novice and intermediate trials (just wanna experience how it's like) one shot the next time? hmm, i suppose not huh?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 8:44 PM

Post #15 of 70 (2493 views)
Shortcut

!!!

there's prizemoney!!?? gee i didn't know :D
how much is the prize money? 50 bucks? 20 bucks?
i thought they only give food to the participants :O

hahaaa... don't say win stuffs.. he would've probably go blur at a whole new environment for trial and get last place (doesn't matter anyway, we're just having fun), since the trials are often indoors. just wanna go and let him try out the real thing, not just the simulation in padang merbuk :)

uhh? the mock trials result will never be out early. that way more people will come to graduation day :D yeah, in other words, your results will only be out during graduation. cheer their fur-students? haha, sometimes i suppose (during my dog's pre-novice, when hunter got 1st placing *brag* :P , my trainer Amanda sort of "forced" me to kiss her (and she kissed my dog too)) - it's a happy day in all words... people taking photos with CGC doggys wearing their new medals.. really cute!

many people join basic, lesser in pre-novice, and least in novice (only about 6 ppl in novice...not to mention intermediate).. normally it'll be quite a number of people at the start, but most of the time, some will begin missing in action as the exam is nearing.

whether u passed or failed ur mock trial, u could go on to intermediate class. heck, u could even go to the class straight after cgc. there's no requirements for joining pre-novice, novice or intermediate since there aren't any certs for those classes.. but it'll be more suggestable for u to proceed only if your dog is good enough in novice.... if not, he wouldn't survive that level - i heard it's tough. (have u seen arthur's dog doing in intermediate? he's good!)

anyway, those classes were merely a training for ur dog. the trainers always assure us that passing/failing the trials doesn't matter at all. but the classes and mock trials, i must say, proved VERY useful for real trials, or even daily life - especially off-leashing in novice!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 8:49 PM

Post #16 of 70 (2491 views)
Shortcut

ginl,

so biscuit actually been through pre-novice a long time ago? didn't u proceed to novice? it'll be fun to let ur dog go off-leash! i can't believe my dog following me without leash too at the beginning.. but it was possible!

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 23, 2003, 1:40 AM

Post #17 of 70 (2477 views)
Shortcut

Well he was almost thru with his pre-novice class when we moved frm Pg to Kl last Nov....he's a very hyper dog, very hard to keep him focused on obedience for long sessions....if we keep doing the same exercise over n over again, he'll show u his "jrt attitude' Crazy.....off leash i can almost guarantee that will never happen with him....if we happen to walk and if he's off leash and if he sees a cat or a rat or birds or even a cockcroach, his prey drive will kick in in full force and before u know it, he's off chasing them and nothing can stop him.....good news is our hse is almost bug or pest free thanks to him Laugh

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 23, 2003, 1:53 AM

Post #18 of 70 (2474 views)
Shortcut

haha.. yep. the j.russell terriers are hyper active. so will u get exhausted having such a hyper dog? they really seem fun to keep!

maybe u can try going for novice la. if scared then don't walk him without a leash.. who knows.. he'll be a good off-leasher :)) that'll create a new record in the JRT history :D

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 23, 2003, 6:40 AM

Post #19 of 70 (2468 views)
Shortcut

no prizemoney even for the competitions? Crazy but food prize good enough for me... dog food costs more than human food these days Tongue

but wow hunter really came first before??!! you must be super proud! hope our luckey and brinkley can one day reach those levels you guys are at!

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2003, 5:21 PM

Post #20 of 70 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter & Arthur,

I've seen you guys in action during obedience training. You and your furkids are rrreeeaaaallyy good!!!! I share Luckey's aspirations and hope Bodhi can achieve that level too. But as Ginl pointed out, some dogs are just too 'kaypoh' to focus for long during training....and bodhi (my beloved beagle) is one of them. I suppose some breeds are just not cut out to excel in the obedience ring. Can you guys advice how much time do we need to practice each day to achieve your level? Do you practice in a field (with distractions and all)? Coz I noticed practicing at home is not really productive, because the dog will do anything since they are already familiar with the environment. How ah?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 23, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #21 of 70 (2454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Pre-Novice Obedience [In reply to] Can't Post

snoopydog,

i heard beagles are fond of sticking their nose to the ground and snooze everywhere all the time. i'm not quite sure whether some breeds excel well than others, but if u have good training techniques, the result will be really good no matter what breed u have (all dogs are smart anyway :D )

i was told by my novice class trainer that about 2 sessions a day is sufficient enough (keep it short, about 10 minutes per session). but due to circumstances, i train my dog from friday till sunday (i live in my university from mon. till thurs)....my session is 1/2 hour or more, in the evenings..

ya, true - training at home is not productive le! i train my dog at home and at a padang full of kids cycling and playing basketball.. he was really bad at first, but as time goes, he became more focused.

it takes time and patience. i'm sure u will perform well in obedience too if u have faith in bodhi!!! :D

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2003, 12:16 AM

Post #22 of 70 (2446 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter,

Quote "i heard beagles are fond of sticking their nose to the ground and snooze everywhere all the time" ..... SlyHaHaha! That is very true! They're like vacuum cleaners. During training, I sometimes have to lightly tap on Bodhi's head to get her attention. Otherwise, she'll be sniffing in a world of her own. If you understand cantonese, it's like "Ah Pang Kiew Kau, Yuet Kiew Yuet Chaw !!!" But I guess the only way is patience and lots of practice. Practice - that's what I'm lacking Blush! Anyway, hope to see you this Sat. at CY's gathering.

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 24, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #23 of 70 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Pre-Novice Obedience [In reply to] Can't Post

oh your dog is called Bodhi? Are you BUddhist? Coz my mum's dogs also have Buddhist names (as well as their regular names)... Jupey's dharma name is Bodhicitta and Juno's dharma name is Sonyata...

Yeah it would be really good for people like arthur and hunter to share their training methods... we'd love to be able to do all that with our furkids too Smile

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 24, 2003, 7:13 AM

Post #24 of 70 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Do i get exhausted with such a hyper dog? Why yes i do at times....i try to take him out for his exercise as much as possible, used to take him for long walks and hiking when we were in Pg...no complaints here coz it also helped me to get some exercise myself Laugh

So you train Hunter twice a day? Wow...i hv to admit when we attended class i didn't do any training at home heheh....we just attended class once a week Blush ....maybe that explains why he's slacking coz the owner is also slacking Tongue

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 24, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #25 of 70 (2431 views)
Shortcut

hehe... yeah luckey and i didnt practise at home at all until the last week b4 exam... then that last week i made sure to come home from work while still daylight and trained like mad!!

But took Luckey for super long walk this evening,.. think she enjoyed it but she is mega tired right now..

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my