Home: Breed Specific: Hound Group:
Beagle Help!!

astrojulie
Novice

Jan 19, 2003, 8:39 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Beagle Help!! Can't Post

I'm looking for a dog right now, and I was wondering, are Beagles really hard to control? I know A LOT about Beagles, I read all about them, and some people on online sites say that they get really annoying to take care of. Is this true? Frown I really want a Beagle, and I have more than enough time to take care of it, but i'm just afraid that it might start to get out of hand. i don't think so, but if anyone who had a Beagle here could clarify this, it would REALLy help!!
~Many Good Dog Years!~

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2003, 5:06 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astrojulie] Beagle Help!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi astrojulie,

From personal experience, beagles are active dogs with a capital "A". If you're looking for a traditional lap dog and you expect your beagle to lie quietly when you pet/stroke, then forget it! They just want to play all the time. Crazy Maybe, Bodhi's still young. I hope she'll be calmer when she's older.

As for training, beagles are extremely intelligent dogs. I was able to teach Bodhi new things within minutes. But once they know how to do it, they need extra motivation to do it again. Unfortunately, their intelligence makes them stubborn & independent because seem to be able to make their own decisions. Because of that, they tend to wander off to look for adventure if not kept securely in a fenced in area.

However, my experience in keeping a beagle is limited since Bodhi is only 6 1/2 months old. Perhaps, other beaglers in this forum can help you more.

Good luck!

astrojulie
Novice

Jan 21, 2003, 7:24 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Beagle Help!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Wink I know Beagles aren't lap dogs, In fact I'll wuite enjoy playing fetch with a Beagle and stuff. A couple days ago we visited a Beagle Breeder and I picked up a 3 month old puppy, and she sat on my lap and started eating my jacket and seemed to like to eat my hair. Then she got all squirmy so I put her down and watched her play with her rawhide bone. The puppy's father climbed onto my dad's lap and fell right asleep Laugh so i guess they do get a lot calmer after one year, becasue the puppy's father jsut sat on my dad's lap while he scratched him behind the ears and he fell right asleep Blush but anyway, Lightning, a two year old beagle, is pregnant and the puppies will be for sale in April! i really hope we can get puppies from her! Wink
~Many Good Dog Years!~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my