First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Aug 20, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #1 of 28 (8294 views)
Shortcut
GSD or Belgian Malinois Can't Post

Dear all,

Actually I'm quite interested to get a GSD or Belgian Malinois. I'm looking for female as my mum prefers female as they are more obedient and doesn't lift their legs to urine on car tyres.

My mum is nearing 70s and i'm working from 7:00am to 6:00pm everyday.

Can anyone advise which dog I should buy and where can I get good breeders that sell this type of dogs with good breeding and temperament. I'm looking for a dog as companion pet as well as guarding behaviour.

Pls advise. Thanks.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 20, 2004, 7:29 PM

Post #2 of 28 (8276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,Smile

Not sure if it's fair to say that females r more obedient but they tend to be less dominant n therefore less of a challenge towards the owners.

Well,malinois have more drive(prey drive) than GSD's..so if you can handle that n have the time to channel the drive into something positive,u will have a great dog.If not,you'll get a destructive monster.

Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com n check out the gsd n malinois section.

What do u mean by guarding behaviour? IMHO,malinois r a little too light n small(unless u can find one really oversized one) for home protection but I think they're alright for personal protection..but that's just my personal opinion

All the best
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Aug 20, 2004, 7:31 PM)

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Aug 22, 2004, 4:20 PM

Post #3 of 28 (8261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your info.

I used to have 2 dogs but could not handle it so well and have to give it away.

The first one was a mixed miniature pinscher (wtih Daschund), it makes a lot of noise early morning and worried that neighbours will complain. We were sleepless for a few months. However, we found a very good couple to take the dog and we are happy for the dog. The dog will bark continously and anything that moves near to him, he will bark. The time when we bought it from the pet shop, it was already 5 months old. I believe it is also due to the way the pet shop have quarantine the dog for the few months without proper socialization.

The second dog was a Thai Ridgeback. Somebody gave it to us when it was already 7 months. It's a very alert guarddog. We never kennel the dog. The only thing that we could not handle was how to train him. I have read many books and even find a dog trainer. The dog trainer doesn't have confident that he could train the dog. I have tried for 5 months trying to train the dog but it just does not want to respond. Later it developed a behaviour of jumping on people. My mum (70 years old) fell because the dog jump on her. Since my family members make noise, I have to give it away.

That is why I need to study and get a lot advise before getting another dog. I heard that GSD is the best dog for guarding and also gentle with old people and young children. The only problem is that it has sensitive skin and may have a lot of disease.

Any advise?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2004, 3:34 AM

Post #4 of 28 (8252 views)
Shortcut

hi,

Just out of curiousity,what do u mean by an alert guard dog? Did she bite when told? Did she bite when you were threatened? Did she bark at strangers who walked pass the house?

Also,pls specify exactly what do u want the gsd to do. That way it would be easier to train/know what u want.

"That is why I need to study and get a lot advise before getting another dog. I heard that GSD is the best dog for guarding and also gentle with old people and young children. The only problem is that it has sensitive skin and may have a lot of disease. "

Well,if u get one from a good breeder with good lines n healthy breeding,u shouldn't come across any problems that cannot be corrected.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

winston
New User

Aug 25, 2004, 7:36 PM

Post #5 of 28 (8233 views)
Shortcut

hi sean. i am also looking for GSD. If you found a good breeder, please let me know too. thanks

PSD
ALPHA

Aug 26, 2004, 12:06 AM

Post #6 of 28 (8225 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Well,malinois have more drive(prey drive) than GSD's..so if you can handle that n have the time to channel the drive into something positive,u will have a great dog.If not,you'll get a destructive monster.

RD,

Ermm......more prey? I wouldnt say so actually and dont see prey as the benchmark here. Some other dogs have higher prey than a Mal. Being a GSD enthusiast myself it would be unfair to comment against Mals in a personal perspective. However I can give you a summary of comments collected internationally from trainers of protection dogs and protection sports. All of them agreed that Mals have agility ability that is second to none in their speed. However it is not a dog for beginers. Mals have a thinner threshold and once breached the dog becomes a wreck. Unless one is a very good trainers whom had successfully brought many dogs to title levels you should play the cards right.Smile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Aug 26, 2004, 12:19 AM

Post #7 of 28 (8221 views)
Shortcut

Sean,

Any dog would be a disaster if you do not have the abilty to train them. A good trained dog whom had gone through perfect training would become totally different 3 months later in the hands of someone not knowing how to handle the dog. I would like to apologise to you beforehand that this is not aimed at you or implying that you are not good. What I'm trying to impress on you is that you have to make an effort to learn how to handle the dog if you are serious in maintaining a dog especially a big dog like GSD's n Mals.

Noticing your mom, I would not recomend GSD's nor Mals just to be safe not because of the dog turning to her but more that accidents may happen. The dog especially puppies are very playful(the good ones) and because of their shear size, the could easily knock your mom down unintentionally. You have to weigh this consequences. Otherwise, you have to have a proper kennel and runs to keep the dog away from accidents with your mom. At 70 year old, she cannot afford the slightest fall. Just my 2 cents.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

PSD
ALPHA

Aug 26, 2004, 12:28 AM

Post #8 of 28 (8217 views)
Shortcut

That is why I need to study and get a lot advise before getting another dog. I heard that GSD is the best dog for guarding and also gentle with old people and young children.

GSD is not the best dog when compared ability one by one. They are not the fastest, the are not the strongest and they are not the Toughest. However if you put everything together as one package then no other breeds come close to them. I dont mean the ones running in the show rings of course.Tongue

The only problem is that it has sensitive skin and may have a lot of disease.

You are refering to the show dogs that is being bred for looks. The old blood GSD's bred for companionship, working ability and courage is a different dog.Smile

PSD

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 26, 2004, 8:52 AM

Post #9 of 28 (8193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

lol.Laugh finally...was waiting for u here.

Thanks for the correction n appreciate the insight as well.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Aug 26, 2004, 9:38 AM)

PSD
ALPHA

Aug 27, 2004, 1:04 AM

Post #10 of 28 (8163 views)
Shortcut

chloe,

SmileTongue

PSD

joshyong
Novice

Oct 12, 2004, 12:01 AM

Post #11 of 28 (7964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [winston] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Nice to know ....someone who is interested to get a Malinois. I am a Malinios breeder (working line) . Before U consider in getting one .... pls get to know this dog well enough...those members who reply to Sean querries are right...

Malinios are a very alert / aggressive breed...they need to run at all time..

Of course ,there are also show line Malinios ..which is less aggressive.

give me a note...

dogslover
Canine Addict

Nov 1, 2004, 5:40 PM

Post #12 of 28 (7881 views)
Shortcut

GSD its a good dog...u can own a GSD but not Alsation

joshyong
Novice

Nov 3, 2004, 1:07 AM

Post #13 of 28 (7871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dogslover] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Alsaltian or GSD are the same breed.....its was called in UK and shortly after the WW1..... the German Captain Von created a fast and good GSD breed back to German and make it more popular !!!!

Over in Msia when we were young ...our dads use to tell us this breed are Alsaltian ( oppps I can't even spell it correctly).....

# there are no bad dogs only bad owners or handler.......!!!!!

dogslover
Canine Addict

Nov 8, 2004, 10:10 PM

Post #14 of 28 (7834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joshyong] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

r u sure tht is same breed?it looks more bigger thn GSD..not the same at all....

joshyong
Novice

Nov 8, 2004, 10:39 PM

Post #15 of 28 (7826 views)
Shortcut

well,

I believed there small /medium and over size dogs ..... even in a same family !!

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 14, 2004, 12:43 AM

Post #16 of 28 (7725 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
GSD its a good dog...u can own a GSD but not Alsation

hi doglover,

I guessed since I stopped by might as well share something.Laugh

Both GSD and Alsation is refering to the same breed of dog. In any dog breeding, there will be different model of breeding to look at. In general Germans had used their dogs rather overwhelmingly successfull during the WW2 era. The britons was quite impressed with these and they brought back these dogs to England start their own K9 program. However they had do so something on the name as it would sound very funny to use your enemy's name in this case German Shepherd Dog....therefore Alsation was used instead to be more politically correct.

Once landed in England, they breed to their own vision of what is a perfect dog. Parhaps the british like their dog big and this is the results of what is today Alsations.

Because they are big, some of them dont do very well in our humid weather. I did see some very nice alsations in the police force they are big and they still work well as a package. It all depends on their lineage and their drives. Likewise GSD from Germany or Czech. There is always good dogs from bad country as well as very bad dogs from good country. Hard to single them out based on race rite Wink

So Alsation and GSD basicly have same roots but bred under a different standards. Its up to interpretation which standards we want. Cheers

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Dec 14, 2004, 6:38 PM

Post #17 of 28 (7709 views)
Shortcut

hahaha u still alive

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

joshyong
Novice

Dec 14, 2004, 11:54 PM

Post #18 of 28 (7691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

yep yep....

finally someone are talk the same language........means my dads was right all the time....

well, some much bout GSD lovers.....wonder if there are any Malinios lover out there who can share

good info on Malinios !!!!

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 15, 2004, 10:16 PM

Post #19 of 28 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Yup still breathing. Damn busy though. Have to earn some money to maintain those dogs

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2004, 10:47 PM

Post #20 of 28 (7664 views)
Shortcut

oh macam itu kah....then work hard lah ok

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 16, 2004, 10:01 PM

Post #21 of 28 (7648 views)
Shortcut

TQ

PSD

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

May 29, 2005, 8:44 AM

Post #22 of 28 (7426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joshyong] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Josh,

You're a breeder for malinois? Is this breed difficult to handle? Are they aggressive? Do they shed a lot? What do you think of adopting the malinois at 3 to 4 months old already? I just called a home breeder that have puppies but have not seen their dam and sire? What would be the reasonable price?

Sorry for asking so much question but I need to understand the breed more before I buy it.

wildgunsr
Dog Kichi

May 29, 2005, 9:17 AM

Post #23 of 28 (7422 views)
Shortcut

Hello Sean,

If you're really intrested, and in the klang valley, maybe you would like to come and see for yourself what a Mali can do and he's temperament is like.

I'm not sure whether puppy.com.my will delete(or edit) this posting, as it did the last time, here goes: a bunch of ppl do gather every weekend at pdg. merbok to train their dogs ala SchH style. If you're interested you would be most welcome to join.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

May 30, 2005, 2:21 AM

Post #24 of 28 (7410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildgunsr] GSD or Belgian Malinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Where is padang merbok? any map?

joshyong
Novice

May 30, 2005, 6:11 PM

Post #25 of 28 (7389 views)
Shortcut

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my