Jan 17, 2003, 11:39 AM
Post #1 of 6
Dear all, my family just had a puppy - bel. She's just been with us for four months. But something terrible happened to her today!
Help me save my dog~~~
Bel's a miniature pinscher. She's been active all along. Recently, about 3 weeks ago, patches of her hair started falling, n there'r some itchy red spots all over her body that she kept scratching. We brought her to a vet. He simply insisted it's insect bites n prescribed some antibiotics. But she doesn't seem to improve at all with the med.
Then my dad brought her to the 2nd vet yesterday. She was given a jab of prednisolone n prescribed some more prednisolone n some antifungal drugs. Things started to look well this morning as the skin seemed to improve.
We left her at home today around 3pm, but when we got home at 6pm, she looked TOTALLY DIFFERENT. She was sooooo restless, tired, and the worst thing was her legs were so weak that every single step she made she'll fall. She couldn't even sit properly now. She doesn't feel like eating or drinking now. How heartbreaking it was to see her this way!
We phoned back to the 2nd vet n the only thing he stressed about was "EVERYTHING HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE JAB", even before we mentioned about whether her symptoms now were related to the jab. He crapped through that Bel needs some calcium. We phoned around n knew that it shouldn't be because of the calcium coz Bel is not having symptoms of having a fit. Obviously this crappy vet wanted to keep himself away from being sued by us. Guess what he hanged up the phone before I finished my words. We understand that pple made mistakes n we're not gonna sue him. We do not blame him for his crappy skills, but his attitude really put us off!
As we've pretty much lost confidence with vets here in JB, we couldn't do much now except for waiting until tomorrow n bringing her up to KL, probably to see a vet there (Bel's born in my sis' bf's place in KL).
I would just like to ask what I should do right now as I'm a medical student and I feel I could do something else now apart from waiting.
Is she having some kind of allergic response to prednisolone? or is she having some kind of secondary infection due to prednisolone? Or is it something else? What should I do? R there some symptoms that I can check? and what should I ask from the vet when I bring her to see another vet (hopefully a nice one)?
I'd appreciate any help/opinion. Feel free to add in letting off anger about the crappy vet.
p/s: I'm not telling u guys who the crappy vet is, but if something happens to your pet, consider twice if u want to bring him/her to Clinic Kxx of Taman Tun Aminah (not just becoz of his skills, but becoz of his attitude)