Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY???

sasa
Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2004, 8:48 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2450 views)
Shortcut
GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY??? Can't Post

Why??? hidden diseases or somebody put her into sleep???
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

qelayne
Novice

Aug 18, 2004, 5:31 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sasa] GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown So sad...

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2004, 7:15 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Gipsy like others was getting weaker as she lingered at PAWS waiting for someone to take her. From what I was told, she simply did not fare well after being spayed and had to be put down humanely. I was not around when it happened but felt something was amissed when I didn't see her about.

She was one of my favourites... took her to the dogathon and to a school fare, but no luck in getting her adopted.

Lost for words and a bit angry, that is why I am strongly advocating change.

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Aug 19, 2004, 6:33 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [qelayne] GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do u mean that she died becaz of the vet put down her???

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2004, 1:57 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gillian923] GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, like all other sick dogs which cannot be saved. Don't worry, Gipsy had all her shots and would have been an sizable investment on PAWS part. She would not have been put down if she wasn't suffering. I can attest to that fact.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2004, 2:00 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2360 views)
Shortcut

Do keep Bowie's pictures coming. Every cloud has a silver lining, and everytime I see how happy he is, it makes what little we can do worthwhile.

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Aug 20, 2004, 7:04 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, a bit sad. Actually one of my fren going to adopt her, unfortunetly now she is at kampung...but nothign much i can said...since Gipsy already pass away...

Thanx for info

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Aug 26, 2004, 1:09 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Cynthia,

Do you know how long Gipsy been suffer for her sick? what sick? cannot cure?

Are you there when tat time vet ppl put her down????

my fren so sad when she heard that news...she jut back from hometown today...Pirate

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2004, 2:00 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2193 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gillian923

Gipsy was originally placed in the maternity compound. She was moved from the puppy room to the adolescent room and then to the maternity compound. This happens throughout a unadopted puppy's lifecycle. As they mature, they are then placed into the adult compound.

Last June, Gipsy stopped eating and was allowed out to roam free within the PAWS compound. You may have seen her running free in the puppy room (her favourite place). She was getting skinny after spending weeks in the maternity compound. Diet for the dogs differ depending on which area they are placed. Gipsy was fortunate and began to recover. She was also happier as she wasn't bullied by the rowdy pack in the maternity room. She was even well enough to go to an International school fair and then to the dogathon.

I knew she was scheduled to be spayed (getting to the age where she can have unwanted puppies), so I guess PAWS had to perform the snip. Who? Possibly the vet but I wasn't there. Again who put her down, your guess is as good as mine. Did she really recover last June, I think not.

Gipsy is sorely missed. She has a gentle nature and her ease with children was amazing. I wished we could have found her a home.

But you must again remember that PAWS has over 200 dogs. It will make a huge difference if people like you actually came in to help. PAWS is treated like a dumping ground for unwanted animals, and as long as caring people stay away, the dogs will still be deemed 'unwanted'. Last week they put down over 40 dogs (healthy as well as sick... just because they were unwanted).

We see WAVES of volunteers and concerned individuals come and go. Quite often, just after one or two visits. And they often make a lot of noise outside the compound. But I seldom see them come back to help with keeping maggoty sores clean, wipe poo from the bottom of incontinent dog, scrubbing the scum from the drains, picking up the dead etc.
Have a think about it.

I think this forum should be better used for getting as many dogs adopted and as many people to come in to help at PAWS.

Gipsy is gone, just as I see the many other that have gone. And the harder one tries, the more a difference one makes.

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Aug 26, 2004, 7:21 AM

Post #10 of 14 (2173 views)
Shortcut

my questions,

1. why is paws allow the dumping of animals in the first place? they make the public to believes that the animals dump will not be killed if they r healthy and esp so after they make the rm80-rm100 donation.

2. after years in operation. they should know the adoption rate and chances of a specific dog being adopted. if i m to dump a dog there and was told it will be put down anytime. why shouldnt i go right to spca? or better still have a second thought abt it. i had personally stood outside paws and advised those who bring in the dumping dog with the beliefs that paws is the retirement home for thier unwanted pet, they even point to the "paws animal welfare.."signboard to me. from what i had observed, they welcome ppls to dump dogs n cats becos they can collect the rm50-100...

3. volunteers like me and many others who went and gone, most ppls unlike u, they have a fulltime job to attend, and after a few visits, they witnessed the cruelty practise and messy operation esp the fantastic wonderful vet who act like a god. how many would want to go thru feeling helpless for the poor animals repeatedly? some choose to forget abt the place, some would want to do something right but have no clues how to do it. as for me, i personally think Paws must be shut down. and i have been doing something abt it. i believe criticising doesnt serve any good. everybody has difference priorities and scope.

its a blessing Paws' animal have u who r so dedicated, but there r many low profile ppls that i know choose to help homeless animals on the street 24/7, and pay real monies in rescueing,treating and rehome them! think abt it.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2004, 8:28 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dodo888] GIPSY??? DIED??? WHY??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no doubt that PAWS is indeed in need of change (complete change). Dumping is a bad word, but it happens. If an animal is unwanted, it is thrown away like rubbish.

Some end up at PAWS. Puppies still stands a chance of finding a home at PAWS. Adults unfortunately don't. You are right, dogs that are left there are almost condemned to die when they fall ill or don't look good enough to be adopted, and people seldom see it. And they are seldom informed about the lethal injection part.

The solution to population control is spaying and neutering, but it is not a widely implemented program. Actually it was only these past few years that dogs and cats are not allowed to breed at PAWS. But these are small incremental changes.

BTW, I saw one of PAWS committe member throw back two dogs to a nasty chap who wanted to surrender them (abt 3 weeks ago) Wonder if these dogs ended up at the wet market or city dump. Wonder if these dogs ended up dead by the road side somewhere... who knows. The dogs were in a pretty bad shape too.

There will always be people like yourself who will feed and care for as many as you can. No one is stopping you. There will also be people who think that the most needy are those already left at animal shelters. Getting them rehomed is paramount.

Strays and unwanted animals is a real problem, and it reflects badly on society. Unless we adopt a solution like the one at San Francisco SPCA, we will always need a shelter. There are only two in Klang Valley, and if PAWS goes (which I think it will anyway), people may rather dump than drive all the way to Ampang. Perhaps then you will have to feed more and rehome more directly from the streets. I think adult dogs are quite resilient and could possibly still survive (unless someone nasty pours hot oil over them or break their bones with stones/sticks), but the puppies may not make it at all.

It will be a neverending debate. And do try not to judge people before you really know them. I am quite happy with my 16 hour workweek. And I am truly grateful to have time for PAWS, especially now when things are so bad.

sasa
Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2004, 5:49 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Hi gillian,

sasa here. how's ur gf? OK oredi ya? i have several quick snaps of PAWS doggie which i took few days ago. So just wanna find out if ur gr still intend to make any adoption? If yes then i wil happy to send those doggie pix to u.

Hope to hear good news fr u soon. Smile
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

sasa
Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2004, 6:57 AM

Post #13 of 14 (2090 views)
Shortcut

hi there, is me again. sasa hee.

pls load in

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

to view doggie's photo. They need home.
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Sep 1, 2004, 6:46 AM

Post #14 of 14 (2010 views)
Shortcut

we dont just feed and care, we make it a priority to neuter/spay them, some capable dogs/cats r released back to where we found them, the younger one we find home for them, if at the end they r not adopted, they end up with us. its a way how we help to control the population of strays. we can never stop ppls fr dumping house pets into strays but it doesnt mean we shouldnt do anything abt it. as i said, everybody have difference ways of thinking and working. didnt think it was posted as a debate it was just my point of view.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my