Obedience Training - Any age limit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stephee78

Aug 8, 2004, 8:22 PM

Post #1 of 39 (2479 views)
Shortcut
Obedience Training - Any age limit Can't Post

Hi there,

My dog is now 2 & 1/2 year old can he still attend the Obedience Class?

Within the 10 classes can he really learn all the things.

Regards

Stephanie

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 8, 2004, 10:44 PM

Post #2 of 39 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stephee78] Obedience Training - Any age limit [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, you can no matter how old your dog is! But can he learn everything within the 10classes? I shall say No to that question. The Obedience trianing is something you have to keep doing everything even after the training classes or else your dog will forget everything later. It'll take about 6 to 8 months or so for most of the dogs to master the training if you're consistent with your training.^^ Some dogs learn quick but others may not. Good luck!

stephee78

Aug 9, 2004, 4:55 PM

Post #3 of 39 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whity_rabirabit] Obedience Training - Any age limit [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Whity...

Thanks for the reply, i'll will join this coming intake. But one thing which is very malu. When my Gary see the other dogs he will be very excited until he pee around. There is once i send him for grooming , in the shop there is lot of puppy and dogs around he started to barke and start pee on my leg Unsure ...so malu lah ... therefore i think he should go out and get to know more friend ...

Regards

Stephanie

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 9, 2004, 5:00 PM

Post #4 of 39 (2464 views)
Shortcut

hi stephanie,

you joining puppy.com this september? and which class ru joining (puppy, beginner,etc)? how old is your dog?

stephee78

Aug 9, 2004, 5:17 PM

Post #5 of 39 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Obedience Training - Any age limit [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

I'll be joining the September intake for Basic Obedience class. I have not register yet. I have just join the Premium member via internet, can i sign up for the Obedience class now?

Anyway waht shall i prepare for the Obedience Class?

Regards

Stephanie

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 9, 2004, 5:25 PM

Post #6 of 39 (2458 views)
Shortcut

if i were to join, have to join puppy class, ekeke. just about 3 months old. if u have register for puppy.com , then u pay rm150. what to prepare for Obedience class? erm.. no idea bcs my first time also. i think water, cloth to wipe sweat (ekeke). unless you decide to send him to Pets safari (indoor) but more expensive.

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 9, 2004, 6:49 PM

Post #7 of 39 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Yo! Steph!

You're very welcome. I had the same question long time ago too but I've learnt that even 4yrs old dogs or 7yrs old dogs could learn the Obedience Training in few months...! It was kewl because I only thought doggies could be trained when they were puppy age only...Laugh

My Lucky gets excited when other doggies are around too. She tried to get near them and "GO PLAY" like hell...bouncing here and there...my gosh, I've got such a Big Rabbit. LoL Anyways, regarding your peeing problem when around other dogs, I guess you're dog is a little submissive/fearful aggression around others because of the fact that Gary pees. Do you remember the body posture when he does it? Like ears are down, tails are tucked in the bum and so on. It'll be good for you to socialize Gary with other friends but stay not to close to others because he might does the pee, bark or attack others. (The dog I've met before, he gave me 4punctures on my right knee la) That's something I've experienced before but I do not know the exact situation of your Gary... Step by step, get a little close to other doggies and keep on praising or give treats and so on. Maintain his good behaviour around his doggies when he's not peeing or barking. Don't go beyond his limit straight away. Smile I've sent the request for the Obedience Training too. I'm waiting for the reply. I can't wait for it. I want my doggies to socialize with many others too. Laugh

stephee78

Aug 9, 2004, 7:18 PM

Post #8 of 39 (2449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whity_rabirabit] Obedience Training - Any age limit [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there

I got one more problem, Frown Gary is a bit fierce. He is like the big brother he don’t care how big size is the other dog are, he still want to bark and chase after them and is like want to go bite them. There is one day there is a dog about the medium size wondering around in front of my house by accident my door is open so he run out and chased after ppl for no reason, I can see the dog don’t want to fight because he is running away but my silly Gary Laughgo chased after ppl, the end his Ear got a minor scratch.Pirate

I’m worry when he goes for the Obedience class he will act like that. Frown

Regards

Stephanie

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 9, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #9 of 39 (2437 views)
Shortcut

LOL What a cool dog, might be submissive but went after people not dogs?! Oh well... make sure your dog will not run away when you open your door, just in case it'll ever happen again! I'm sorry to hear about the little injury Gary has got that day.

I think... The case that Gary barks and tends to run after and maybe bite them may show the submissive/fearful agression too unless the body posture tells it then. Your Gary is maybe scared around dogs but whenever he sees others, he wants to tell them that he's the most strongest and not even afraid of them so he tends to bark and chase then and even attempt to attack them. That's what happened to the dog I had few months ago. He coudln't get to attack others so he bit my knee more than 30times and got few punctures there but I don't think Gary will go for you though. Anyways, do not worry about the Obedience Training class... see how it is gonna be first. If he tends to do it to others, you may have to put muzzle or anything that the dog trainer will tells. It'll be good training for Gary around others, I believe. Wink I don't know how Lucky will react to other dogs that much too. Good Luck!

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 14, 2004, 3:19 AM

Post #10 of 39 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Yo Steph! How's Gary doing lately?

stephee78

Aug 15, 2004, 1:02 AM

Post #11 of 39 (2327 views)
Shortcut

HI there,

Gary is fine ... we can't wait for the day to come .... by the way , what shall i prepeare for the class ...

Regards

Stephanie

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 15, 2004, 9:24 PM

Post #12 of 39 (2308 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm...!

Dog, Owner, Treats, Leash, Collar, Plastic Bag for poop, Tissue, Water for yourself and your pup. Whatsoever you think you might need for the day. It's best for you to contact the Obedience Class, just in case! Laugh

I'm glad to hear that Gary is fine! I can't wait to see him!

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #13 of 39 (2306 views)
Shortcut

indoor stuff are always expensive. Why cant you train your dog at home?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

stephee78

Aug 16, 2004, 2:47 AM

Post #14 of 39 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

can u imagine how small is Gary when he stand beside Lucky Laugh and somemore Gary wanna bark and look angry ..LOLLaugh ...

Regards

Stephanie

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 16, 2004, 3:21 AM

Post #15 of 39 (2285 views)
Shortcut

OwW! I'm sure she'll freak out! Laugh But it'll look nice if Lucky and Gary can do sit, down, and all other Obedience next to each other one day!

stephee78

Sep 4, 2004, 5:00 PM

Post #16 of 39 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Obedience Training - Any age limit [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... I dunno how to train therefore have to go to OB class ...Blush

stephee78

Sep 4, 2004, 5:11 PM

Post #17 of 39 (2174 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Finally the day has come Tongue..just can't wait for this week to end... i really cannot imagine how Gary will react on his first class ... Malu lah after he pee around and bark at other kids ... During the class they are thought to sit politely, stay until i call ,being polite around other dog and etc...all the things that mention Gary is very terrible on it ... he cannot sit politely , will bark when he see other dogs ... Tongue , hope he really can learn like the other...

Rgs

Stephanie

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Sep 4, 2004, 8:33 PM

Post #18 of 39 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Hey Yo! Long time no talk! How are you? I can't wait for the Obedience Training too. It's really interesting to learn different methods of training dogs for me... even the one from puppycom! I wonder how Gary act towards others too but I'm sure he can learn like others no matter how long it might take for him to do so. Guess what, I somewhat like your dog so much ...and see his progress! Gary sounds like the dog that I couldn't train at all before which was a dog that always went for my knee and I was so terrified of him. LOL Anyways, Keep training him every day after the lessons till he becomes the superstar! I might see you there on the first opening day of the show. Good Luck!

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 4, 2004, 9:09 PM

Post #19 of 39 (2162 views)
Shortcut

it is expensive.

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

stephee78

Sep 6, 2004, 4:58 PM

Post #20 of 39 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sydney

It Cost about RM200 ... is quite expensive but i think is worth it because your baby will learn and being polite ... Tongue My Gary is very in-polite just like the Kids running around ...

stephee78

Sep 6, 2004, 5:23 PM

Post #21 of 39 (2145 views)
Shortcut

Hi whity_rabirabit

I'm Fine, How are you? ... Gary is just like a kid, his attitude and his look just like a 3 or 4 year old boy... The other night he pee in the house so I scolded him and ignore him the whole night until next day... that nigh he jump up to my bed and wanted to sleep with me but I kick him down to his bed and until middle of the night he jump up again ... so I ignore him until the next morning I wake up and I kick him again ... ... In the morning he is try to get some hint see whether I’m still mad at him. he keep on wondering around me ...every where I go he follow... when I sit on the floor he just sit quietly beside me and lean his head on my leg ... Just like a baby ....

I really don’t understand he know the place to do his business but some how he still want to do it in an non-appropriate place …Frown

Looking forward to see you and Lucky ... BTW do you know what time is you class .. i think mine is 5 PM cause Puppy.com send me an email and ask me to be there at 4.30 on 12th September 2004 ..so i suppose is 5PM class ... Hope Gary and Lucky can be in the same class ..i want to see Gary siting beside Lucky quietly ..Tongue hahaha really cannot imagine

Rgs,

Stephanie

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Sep 6, 2004, 7:01 PM

Post #22 of 39 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Yo Yo Yo Steph! I'm glad you're doing fine. Smile

Every dog is just like a baby...that is why dogs are somewhat silly yet adorable just like them! Laugh

You should take a look at other forums and search for the crate-training problems that you have and I hope you'll get the answers there.^^

Regarding the punishment, I advise you not to punish the dog physically after peeing/pooping, this "might" make the dog start to think "Ouch! I can't do my business even though I want to do it!!!!!" kinda stuff...so at the end, the dog will hold on to it though it wants to do his/her jobs which will result in the internal health problem later on...eventully. Maybe it will not happen to your Gary but just in case, be aware.

What you should do is to crate-train your Gary. Decide where you'd like the toilet to be just for Gary, take him there and wait till he does his jobs, reinforce the behaviour by praising/giving treat or even play with him. Gradually, he'll get to know doing his business at "this" place will be good for him because of the rewards he'll get. So he'll tend to do it more often later on too!

Dogs can notice what is happening within 1.5seconds so after few hrs, his mood to getting onto the bed, following you everywhere and the results of being kicked and ignored makes him just confused because he's never been punished or ignored like that before.

I'm looking forward to see your Gary too! I haven't really got my proper class schedulle yet but the one for briefing and the open ceremony so I believe I'll get to see you there on these events! It'll be nice to see you there in the same class too and Gary and Lucky sitting together...Wow! I'm getting excited, ahahah!! No matter how long it'll take for you to do so, never give up on the training and keep doing it every single day! Good Luck!

LaughLaughLaugh

stephee78

Sep 6, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #23 of 39 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I'm not really kick him just push him down to his bed Tongue... anyway...Gary actually know the place to do his business just that he will also like to do it on other places once in a while (like once a week)... start from the beginning I teach him to do his business in the toilet ... I normal just compliment him by hug him or say Good Boy when he do his business in the toilet...

But I notice he normally pee on a few particular places such at the side on the dust bin, a new furniture or boxes around the house and at the side of the bed or on the bed.... Pirate ..but he won't do it on my bed probably he know that , that the place he sleep Laugh... But now is a lot better he didn’t do it on the bed ...

Rgs

Stephanie

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 6, 2004, 11:08 PM

Post #24 of 39 (2121 views)
Shortcut

When u wan 2 ask ur dog 2 sit...... will he sit?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

stephee78

Sep 7, 2004, 12:25 AM

Post #25 of 39 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Hi

At the moment he don't sit when i ask him to ..his attitude is very cute..when u ask him to sit he dun sit but when u dun ask him he sit.. Yau Seng Kak Sly hahah ..but hope he can learn from his class ..Tongue

Rgs

Stephanie

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my