Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 19, 2002, 7:48 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3677 views)
Shortcut
Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. Can't Post

My last post on "How to prevent your dog from being poisoned" indeed created some very active discussion, debate and not forgetting a certain degree of controversy.
The present topic, I like to see BLOOD. Who will be the first to draw the first drop from me?
We are talking about worms in dogs and not round poles, fishing hook, sewing threads, drawing pins zorro's whip and measuring tape, just as I remember one typical idiot was saying e-worm attacking computer.
Worms are internal parasites that will do your dog more harm than good, yet I do not deworm my dogs at specific intervals. I am a staunch believer in whatever I do there is a purpose and reason.
Therefore, if my animals are absolutely worm free, I do not deworm and overtax their systems. Besides regular dosing, may cause the worms to build up a resistance and immunity from subsequent dosing, although this has not been proven scientifically.
For the time being, this is my 2sens worth of contribution, unless someone in the forum would like to turn it into a 2 million rinnggit issue.
By the way, above subject line on round.........tape happens to be the order of priority that will infest you dogs.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Feb 20, 2002, 2:41 AM

Post #2 of 12 (3664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

There you go ... the bloody red colour in text reply!!!

I am 102% (your favorite) agreed to the below statement!!! ... regular dosing, may cause the worms to build up a resistance and immunity from subsequent dosing, although this has not been proven scientifically ... Until such time (when the manufactors have earned ENOUGH money by selling de-worm tablets), you may be able to see some of these so-called report come out!!!

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 4:08 AM

Post #3 of 12 (3661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have been forewarned that this old dog is made out of stone and has skin 6 inches thick. Despite of that you select a two inch penknife and hope to draw blood?
This is your 102% statement. Please read on:

Subject: How To Give 103%

> We have all been to those meetings where someone wants
> "more than 100%."
> Well here's how you do that. Here's how you can
> achieve 103%. First of all, here's a little math that
> might prove helpful in the future. How does one
> achieve 100% in LIFE? Begin by noting the following.
>
> IF :
> > A = 1
> B = 2
> C = 3
> D = 4
> E = 5
> F = 6
> G = 7
> H = 8
> I = 9
> J = 10
> K = 11
> L = 12
> M = 13
> N = 14
> O = 15
> P = 16
> Q = 17
> R = 18
> S = 19
> T = 20
> U = 21
> V = 22
> W = 23
> X = 24
> Y = 25
> Z = 26
>
> Then:
>
> H A R D W O R K =
> 8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = Only 98%
>
> Similarly,
>
> K N O W L E D G E =
> 11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = Only 96%
>
> But interesting (and as you'd expect),
>
> A T T I T U D E =
> 1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%..... This is how you
> achieve 100% in LIFE.
>
> But EVEN MORE IMPORTANT TO NOTE (or REALIZE), is
>
> B U L L S H I T =
> 2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%
>
> So now you know what all those high-priced
> consultants, upper management, and motivational
> speakers really mean when they want to exceed 100%!

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 6:04 AM

Post #4 of 12 (3657 views)
Shortcut

OK Mr. Leopui, Joke's over. Lets contribute something useful, so that Fishermen will have something decent for dinner. Sarcastic old ba.....isn't he?
Round worms are most common in puppies. Even though the bitch is dewormed before mating, somehow most puppies are infested with these parasites. If you were to seek an opinion from 10 vets, you will get 10 different answers. None of which I believe and none of which I respect. I do what I have been doing with considerable success. First of all cleanliness and hygiene is of paramount importance. Secondly, one must understand the reproductive cycle of round worms and thirdly, a serious breeder should be able to tell +/- two days the most when the bitch is going to come on heat. I do, because all the datas of every dog is in my computer.
For example, if I have a bitch going to be on heat in Feb. 15th. On the 10th Jan, I would collect a sample of its stool and check for worms. If it is positive, waste no time. If it is negative don't be too happy. Check again on next stool and again. If three times checking is still negative, then it is negative.
In the event that the result is positive, deworm immediately and 22 to 24 days or just before the bitch comes into heat administer the second dose, but I usually dose the bitch during mating or two days after mating. The reason being that, from my calculations, the larvae which were not affected by medication on the 10th Jan have matured into worms but not in egg laying stage yet. Destroy them now and there will be less chance for the puppies to be affected.
I have only just started on preventive measures and have not come to the damage and harm caused by round worms.
To be continued.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 20, 2002, 8:31 AM

Post #5 of 12 (3653 views)
Shortcut

I find it hard to agree on this statement. All these worms are unlike virus that are able to mutate quickly into other strain that are resistant to drug treatment. These worms are not able to mutate easily as virus.

With sufficient dosage and multiple treatment, you should be able to eradicate the worm effectively from your dog system. Do all these worms have any chance to mutate so quickly ? I do not think so.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 4:24 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

Momento please Mr. Khoo.
We or rather I did not specifically said that worms are able to mutate into other strain e.g. JE>Nipah, thus the readily available wormers in the market are going to be useless/ineffective.
But I did say that if a dog is being dewormed on a regular basis, irrespective if the tests are positive/negative, over a period of time, some of the remaining worms may not or may escape from effective dosage, will not be completely knocked out and after recovery(the worms), they will return with a vengeance. This is particularly true with hook.
To prove my point, I have discovered an experiment which is hard to believe but quite true. Trust me. My dogs' do attract a fair amount of flies of all species, common house flies, blow flies, fruit flies, horse flies, etc etc. I used Ridsect for a while and they seemed to do the job. Over a period of time, some of the species just laughed at me as if saying you cannot kill me. So, from time to time I am changing brand and that knocked them ars over head.
The same principle could also apply to worms! Regular intervals of 3 months or 6 months in worming practices is definitely not my bowl of rice!

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 20, 2002, 5:08 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fine, Derrick, your point noted. By for the sake of discussion, I wish to comment as follow :-

When you spray on the fly, you may not have the full effect and dosage of some of them who are able to escape and fly away. For these flies, their will have time to react and come back with more resistance next time. Worm on other hand are surviving in dog intestine and with sufficient dosage, you can get rid of all of them and they will have no where to run. In severe worm infection case, you will deworm again 21 days later. If you deworm 4 times a year with sufficient dosage, it is unlikely to allow them to build up the resistance.

Frequent deworm will of course upset their digestive system.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Feb 20, 2002, 6:07 PM)

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 5:49 PM

Post #8 of 12 (3644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I know,
But tell me honestly, how many members in this forum really UNDERSTAND the true meaning of "Sufficient", although time and again I have mentioned that the administration of oral drug to animal is by BODY weight +/- 10% to 20%.
True indeed that round worms are easy to eradicate, hook on the other hand, I am sure you know how and where they are attched
Let me take this discussion one step further and when you have read it with an open mind please post your reply.
It is only an assumption but could also materialise.
Some dogs are rather sensitive to medication or they will reject any form of ubat. What will happen, if a dog has been given a worm tablet, and 5 to 10 minutes later vomit out without the owner realising it? Some might have dissolved into the system, but the rest is being brought out. What then will you do?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2002, 6:01 AM

Post #9 of 12 (3635 views)
Shortcut

I hardly de-worm my dogs. In fact, I don't think I ever have since they were pups... So far my almost 8 year old Doberman has been fine all these years. Maybe it's not really THAT necessary unless your dog actually HAS worms. Or should we go with prevention is better than cure?

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 25, 2002, 6:29 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

If your puppy comes homw with a clean bill of health and your place is completely disinfected Glorox, the chances for picking up parasites and dieseases are indeed minimised. Once you have maintained this degree of cleanliness, you should continue with it.
Quite frankly speaking, to bring up a healthy puppy is no big deal. 90% is on common sense and the remaining 10% is by asking.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 26, 2002, 8:11 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3626 views)
Shortcut

EH...how about heart worm??

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 26, 2002, 9:56 PM

Post #12 of 12 (3624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Round. hook, thread, pin, whip and tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

What Heart worm?
Heart is full of LOVE only lah. Mana ada cacing?
Akan datang
Sila wait till saya is ready.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my