Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
My mongrel dog thinks biting is fun!

lilblackdog
Novice

Aug 6, 2004, 11:38 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3255 views)
Shortcut
My mongrel dog thinks biting is fun! Can't Post

Hi all, have a situation here hope sumwan can help...

I adopted a mongrel puppy 16 months ago... his mom (a stray) gave birth to him in my house. He has never responded to his name, although i think he knows his name. When i call him, he will look at me, and will onli come if i have food in my hand. This has been the way ever since he was small. He knows how to sit, shake hand, and lie down. Certainly when u have food, n sometimes when u haven't.

ALso, the way he 'plays' with us is very rough....n he is quite an agressive and dominant type. He likes to bite our legs and jump up when he's playing, sorta like when a dog plays with another dog, onli dat we r humans. His bites have never brought blood, onli sometimes accidentally when he is too excited. He plays the same way with his mom, and sometimes he will knock her over because he has grown 3 times the size of her! He is extremely jealous of other dogs approaching us, he does not even let his mom near the house anymore.

I haven't heard of any training program nearby, and he is too big to fit in the car anyway... any suggestions?

Dar
Dog Kichi

Aug 23, 2004, 5:54 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lilblackdog] My mongrel dog thinks biting is fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Is that your dog in the pic? From the pic and the size of the dog (as told by you) you could be having some big breed dog (I am not ready to state any names) and you should be very carefull with your dog. Have you train you dog with the NO command. You should and the dog MUST UNDERSTAND the word "NO". You can find info in the forum or the net.Stop him from playing rough games with you and anyone by using the NO and then the sit and stay commands.Read up first.

Good luck

Dar

sss1979
Novice

Dec 27, 2004, 9:22 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1749 views)
Shortcut

hi, my dad's mongrel dogs also likes to bite... specially the sandals... but when it grows up it stop bitting... got one time.. very serious.. .it gets under my sister car kenari and bite.. the wiring.. and next morning her car cant start at all.. furthermore.. its her new car... so sad

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 3, 2005, 6:20 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1692 views)
Shortcut

hello, is ur problem solved?

your dog has dominance trait and not to be mistaken with aggressiveness. i think you may have pampered him a bit too much too. a dog will get jealous if no proper socialization is involved. get everyone in the house to hold the dog. sometimes the dog will get close to one person and will try to protect this person from another person. this is bad if he is protecting you from your family.

you say ur dog know the command "sit", get him to sit for everything that way he can't jump on you and sit at the same time. commands are taught to be used everyday and not only during training. don't worry about him playing with his mom, the dog will know when it's time to stop. also your dog have a lot of energy, have you channel this energy to long walks and plays so he can tone down on his energy? his dominance can also be because he dont know what is his part in the pack (your family + his mom).

some ways to re-establish you are boss are , try to eat before him, you can eat anything, keropok, apple or anything as long as he see you eat before him and then feed his mother first or feed them together. repeat this for weeks and forever if u can. 2nd, always give him a command for everything he wants. if he wants to jump on u, ask him to sit, if he sill jump, then turn your back away and ignore him. dogs hate to be ignored. same if he barks at you, walk away from him, return to the room when he stop barking and praise him.

always train him with a leash and he must respect the leash ie no biting the leash and a deep command "no" and maybe show your angry face and a fist may help. but in any case NEVER HIT YOUR DOG. it will promote aggressiveness.

no dogs are old to train. MKA & puppycom has trainings in Jalan Gasing & Taman Desa so maybe you can check it out. if you are worried about him destroying your car, buy a dog safety belt and you can find at pet's wonderland for RM64. it looks like a harness and it will be attached to your car's safety belt. also you can make him sit in a box so he won't spoil your cushion cover.

i have a golden retriever and she fits just fine in my Wira. and i know a rottie can also fit in a wira.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my