SEPTEMBER 2004 - PAWS' WISH LIST

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2004, 9:14 PM

Post #1 of 60 (4210 views)
Shortcut
SEPTEMBER 2004 - PAWS' WISH LIST Can't Post

This is a new post thread to reach out to our dog lovers and supporters. It will be updated for the month indicated and as we would like to run projects on a scheduled basis (ie. new compounds, repairs, jumble sales, gotong royong), it will be easier to tackle inquiries and response. It will also keep the thread short and relevant to the month.

This post will have the standard wish list but again updated according to the needs of PAWS.

What is listed here will also be posted on one of PAWS few notice boards. We will also give a contact person at PAWS should it be something specific.

Volunteers@Work

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Aug 3, 2004, 9:15 PM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2004, 9:48 PM

Post #2 of 60 (4197 views)
Shortcut
MATERIALS FOR A PROJECT: A RECEIVING AREA FOR NEW DOGS [In reply to] Can't Post

A area for holding newly surrendered dogs was set up two weeks ago. Volunteers found that PAWS needed a 'receiving area' for new dogs and puppies. This would give the staff a chance to check the dogs before introducing them to the general compound and isolate and treat any sick dog if necessary. This area will always have fresh water and somewhere to lie down.

It would also help calm a surrendered dog that has just been left at PAWS and give the staff time to move the dog into the compound (not in the presence of the owner as it stresses the dog and owner).

But this 'receiving pen' does not have a floor or drainage. We just managed to put a temporary fencing (chicken wire) around the metal bars to stop smaller dogs from escaping.

---------------------WE NEED----------------------

2-4 bags of cement (about RM 11 each)
Sand (for mixing)
A base frame which is normally just metal netting to hold the floor together (abut RM 50)
Black gloss paint for the rusty bits on the metal cage

---------------------TIME FRAME-------------------

Start collecting materials from now. We aim to start work by end of the month.
If you wish to donate, pls pass the materials to PAWS for storage. Store room is just next to the new receiving area.

---------------------CONTACT PERSON--------------

Myself at 0129338108 (but I am away for the next 3 weeks) and can only coordinate via phone on via this forum.

Or talk to Tan who is a wornderful handyman is at PAWS. He's the one who is working with the cats.

---------------------DONATING FUNDS--------------
Please give us the building materials. Note that if you give money towards this effort, it may not actually be allocated towards the project. PAWS management will not spend money on upgrading work.

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Aug 3, 2004, 10:05 PM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2004, 10:09 PM

Post #3 of 60 (4191 views)
Shortcut
STANDARD WISH LIST ITEMS [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Rice (PAWS uses 100 kg in less than a week)
2. Old Towels and rags to keep puppies dry and warm
3. Puppy toys to keep them amused
4. Any kind of Dog and Puppy Food (can or dry )
5. Whiteboards and cork boards for notices
6. Paints (especially mould proof ones), spraypaints and canned paints
7. ---this item has been removed---
8. Bottles of bleach for cleaning and disinfecting
9. ---this item has been removed---
10. Puppy chews. Made from cow skin, it is very good for their teeth and lasts a few weeks.
11. Rags and sponges for cleaning
12. Spray bottles (used empty bottles with a spray snout)
13. Brooms and brushes
14. Flea medication (Advantage or Frontline).
15. Used CD plastic sleeves. The kind that you get VCDs and DVDs in at the shops. It is like a clear plastic slip cover with pre punched holes. It can be used to display a dog's record or a cage's cleaning schedule.
16. a lorryload of SAND to level off the general compound
17. a tractor or excavator to clear the drains around the PAWS compound - overflow and flooding is a problem
18. materials to repair the puppy pen (preferbly long pieces of wood to repair the frames, or metal bars with premade holes that could be put together using a nut and bolt and wire mesh)

If you are considering donating money, you may be contributing more effectively by asking for a membership form and filling that in. I think its RM20 for a year's membership and RM200 for a lifetime membership.

annjou
K9 Maniac

Aug 3, 2004, 11:09 PM

Post #4 of 60 (4184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] STANDARD WISH LIST ITEMS [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are considering donating money, you may be contributing more effectively by asking for a membership form and filling that in. I think its RM20 for a year's membership and RM200 for a lifetime membership.

Code

Juz curious, wats the diferent between normal donation & a membership??

annjou
K9 Maniac

Aug 3, 2004, 11:55 PM

Post #5 of 60 (4181 views)
Shortcut

how bout old newspaper? u dont need old newapaper anymore??

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2004, 5:36 AM

Post #6 of 60 (4158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annjou] STANDARD WISH LIST ITEMS [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your inquiry. If you donate money, you get a receipt and that is it. The money goes into the pot and stays there, and you will have absolutely no say as to how and when it is spent, because you are not a member.

PAWS is a registered charity and it falls under the socielties act (as I was recently informed), as you are donating money anyway, why not be a member.

The charity needs funding badly (to relocate, pay its workers, pay its VET, feed its dogs and cats). Your membership money goes into the same pot. And I thank everyone who comes in and give money regularly. BUT believe or not, PAWS does not have a clue who you are or how to get in contact with you.

PAWS has not had an AGM in many years, and one is about due (if there is enough pressure or something nasty happens). Be a member, keep your receipt and if there is a meeting, let your voice be heard and your vote counted.
IT REALLY REALLY NEEDS people who are involved.

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Aug 5, 2004, 5:38 AM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2004, 5:51 AM

Post #7 of 60 (4155 views)
Shortcut

Newspapers will always be welcomed. But we have a storeroom full (filled to the roof) and some are even rotting away. We tried to convince management that we should recycle them (sell what we do not use to the newspaper vendor) and use the cash to buy rice for the dogs.
If you support this suggestion, please do call Mdm Ajit (Vice President) at 55108553 and let her know.

She wanted a volunteer to personally take the papers out and sell them on the side (no PAWS management involvement), but in the past, volunteers who help with such transactions on PAWS's behalf had always gotten into trouble (accused of stealing, misappropriating funds etc).

I think with enough people calling her, she may actually let a vendor come in on a scheduled basis and collect what is unused and let the money (fully accounted for by the office) be used for dog rice specifically. Until then, I am leaving newspapers out of the wishlist.

annjou
K9 Maniac

Aug 5, 2004, 5:46 PM

Post #8 of 60 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Smilesorry if i trouble u, but i m kind of confuse here.

correct me if i m wrong, but is tat means, its better 2 donate rice 2 the dogs instead of cash in order 2 avoid 'missing' of the $$??Crazy....& since u r already full of newspaper & noone's goin 2 sell it off, then i tink i shod sell mine myself & save the $$ to buy rice 4 the dogs instead...

volunteers who help with such transactions on PAWS's behalf had always gotten into trouble (accused of stealing, misappropriating funds etc).wat do you mean by "accused of stealing, misappropriating funds"? tey actually took the $$ & used it 4 themself??

I think with enough people calling her, she may actually let a vendor come in on a scheduled basis and collect what is unused and let the money (fully accounted for by the office) be used for dog rice specifically. the management never plan/arrange anything 4 the PAWS future?? or wat tey shod do wif the current stuffs? i tot tey r managing fine..i m really shock...

frankly speaking, i can't really involve myself (like goin 4 meeting/go paws every week) BUT i'll try my very best 2 get more useful stuff/plan 4 paws...at tis time, would u like me 2 try & find a newspaper vendor 4 the pick-up service??

to support u, i give my whole support of having a scheduled collection of newspapers...Smile

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2004, 12:56 AM

Post #9 of 60 (4124 views)
Shortcut

Let me deal with your questions offline. I can be contacted at cynhor@yahoo.com.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2004, 2:16 AM

Post #10 of 60 (4061 views)
Shortcut
USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have an unused, old but still functional computer at home or office. Can it run Microsoft 98.

PAWS can do with a machine that will support Excel, Access and Word.

It will help keep records on members and mailing list.

It is rather ambitious but the charity has not tapped into its doner base for continous support, and have no means of keeping a up-to-date database.

Functional PC with monitor and floppy drive and modem port
OEM MS Office
Windows 98 or better
Enough hard disk space to store 1000 jpg photos of dogs
Simple bubble jet A4 printer

If we can get people to do data entry, the earlier the better.

Myself at 0129338108.

pei02
Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2004, 4:41 AM

Post #11 of 60 (4057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

I hav a unuse computer. window98, exel, word and modem inside. For me is very slow, so if u wan it I will try to send to u may b thrusday after my teaching 11.45 at sri cempaka, I may reach paws around 12.30pm. Pls let me know.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2004, 7:45 AM

Post #12 of 60 (4035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pei02] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks pei02, I told the vet to expect you. Pls insist that he issues a receipt. I will be in at 2 pm onward tomorrow and will miss you when you come. Thank you so much for your donation. I will bring in some extension cables for the computer.

anna_kys

Aug 12, 2004, 4:52 PM

Post #13 of 60 (4019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a bubble jet printer that I have not been using for few years. I did not have any problem with it the last I use it but not sure if it is still workable now since it has been idle and collecting dust for so long. If you don't mind, I can bring it in maybe this Saturday or Sunday for you to try it out. If it does not work and cannot be fixed, we can just throw it away.

Anna

pei02
Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #14 of 60 (4011 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, I tought u will reply me yesterday, but noting, so I never bring out the computer, how about next week? (I stay near zoo negara), either 9.30am or 12.30pm, is it ok? and I hav some bleach, spray, cd cover, toy, cloth, so I send together lah.

Sorry for today.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004, 3:06 AM

Post #15 of 60 (3991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anna_kys] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I think we can give it a try as long as we have the printer driver files. Anything is possible.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004, 3:12 AM

Post #16 of 60 (3988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pei02] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Yikes. Problem with communations.. hee hee. happens to all of us... I should have replied earlier anyway. Next week will be good, but let me know which day.
The bleach. spray. cd covers, toy and cloth etc will be really appreciated. You will be surprised how these things can help with the daily activities and maintenance of the place. If you schedule a day and time. I will try to come in and give you a personal guided tour. THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN

pei02
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004, 5:55 AM

Post #17 of 60 (3982 views)
Shortcut

I'll send on thursday, 9.30am or 12.30pm. I can't follow u, coz I hav to work after that. But would like to if I hav time. And I'll collect more things to send together. And I hav a printer too, if that one can't use, let me know, I send mine.

pei02
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004, 5:56 AM

Post #18 of 60 (3981 views)
Shortcut

Hope to see u there. Actually I not trust the people there.

immy

Aug 13, 2004, 6:20 AM

Post #19 of 60 (3979 views)
Shortcut

hey cynthia,

pei02 says she's droppin by next thurs, will u be there? maybe i can drop by on the same day as well? u can give me some task to do then..i was there 2 weeks ago n they said there's nothing to do, till i keep insisting ..then they say i can bath the dogs..

er..how many bleach do u need? as many as possible? i gave 2 when i bring over the drinks for dogathon..i hope u get them
immy

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004, 6:44 AM

Post #20 of 60 (3976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [immy] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

That will be really good. I was in PAWS yesterday when two university students were walking around, and were pretty lost as to what they could do as volunteers for the day. I was annoyed when the office said the same thing to them...

Anyway, within the two hours they were there, they had practically cleared out the cat sick bay, scrubbed it white clean (walls and floors) disinfected, and cleaned cages and restackked the cages and move the sick kittens back in... Kudos to these two students. It is a cleaner environment for the little sick ones and a better environment for their recuperation.

The maternity side for puppies is having the same problem. I started to work on it again yesterday and the boys said that very few puppies survive when they are born there.

Did you give bleach. I didn't get them... hmm. The bleach is normally placed at the throve near where the dog shampoo sits. I was out of bleach yesterday that I had to go to Carrefore to get more... humdrum. Lets see how the two bottles got themselves moved elsewhere.

Closer to next Thursday, do call or text me. If I am away, I will ask another regular volunteer to help facilitate.

Thank you so much.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004, 6:57 AM

Post #21 of 60 (3974 views)
Shortcut
MATERIALS FOR A PROJECT: A NEW PUPPY PEN IN THE BACK YARD [In reply to] Can't Post

There were two puppy pens with fencing < 3 feet, that is used to let puppies run about and play. We have also used the pen to hold dogs that were recovering from the effects of anesthesia, and letting potential adopters play with the dog they were interested in without being disturb by the whole jinjang pack.

Recently, the large pen was dismantled because all the wood rotted away.

We have a donation from an Internation School for a new pen to be built and we managed to coordinate the logistics for the materials. Lots of metal frames and bolts coming in on Saturday.

People to come in and help us put it together
To borrow tools for a few hours
To help with cement work

Saturday 14th

Myself at 0129338108

immy

Aug 13, 2004, 7:54 AM

Post #22 of 60 (3971 views)
Shortcut

hi cynthia,

ok..i will get in touch with u next week. i can go besides thursday too..let me know when ur free.

yea i know..i was shock when they say nothing to doCrazy..i remember reading from the website that the dogs needed bath.. no wonder there's not many volunteer, i guess people stop coming because they're told there's nothing to doFrown

anywayyyyyyy...see uCool
immy

annjou
K9 Maniac

Aug 13, 2004, 8:13 PM

Post #23 of 60 (3962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [immy] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

yup, tats wat happenFrown...i've wasted all my old cloth (even some leads tat i so susah collecting) when i went tere laz time...wanted 2 donate it, but the guy tere said "y we need old cloth for??"....can guess lar how i feel afterwardsFrown....very very dissapointing Frown....hope i can join-in tis saturday, but got some project to do.....

PS: ANYONE WHO'S THINKING OF DONATING RICE YOU CAN GET IT CHEAP FROM TESCO. IT'S ONLY RM5.99/5KG. It's those broken little pieces rice, not suitable to be eat by human (usually). Then, we don't have to worry that it will be shifted out by some 'human'.Wink

annjou
K9 Maniac

Aug 13, 2004, 8:23 PM

Post #24 of 60 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] MATERIALS FOR A PROJECT: A NEW PUPPY PEN IN THE BACK YARD [In reply to] Can't Post

Cynthia, u still need bleach??..i'll get u some from carrefour afterwards....i'll send 2gether with the rice....Wink

immy

Aug 13, 2004, 9:45 PM

Post #25 of 60 (3952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annjou] USED COMPUTER : TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A CONTACT DATABASE [In reply to] Can't Post

hi annjou,

i understand how u feel.....its sad that the dogs are not getting what they need becoz the ppl there are not aware of it...what happen to the cloth? u throw away already? if not can bring it there again

i also cannot go this saturday...will go next week instead. wanna join??

hahhaa....good idea!!!Cool
immy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my