Puppy Advice Can't Post

Hey,

Can anyone advise me what puppy I should look for? My criteria :

1. Obedience

2. Medium size breed

3. Companion to old people, watch dog and probably a little guard dog behaviour

4. Shedding and grooling minimal

5. don't simply bark

Anyone know of any? I used to own a 25 kg dog. The dog is too active and used to jump on old people and causes them to fall and injure. It is now been taken away from my house. Feeling sad and need a dog which can suit old people.

Pls advise . anyone? I have a few choices that I am considering but don't know whether suitable and where to get those.

Border Collie, Collie, Belgian Malinois, Corgi etc.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2004, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] Puppy Advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.... this is a tough one for me... but I'll advice you this, don't go for any sheepdog or herding dogs like clollies...... I watched a programme that said all collies will become aggressive when they lack excercise and cannot use their herding talent.... They will tear donw the house if not given the freedom of a park or run.....

I'll do some research for you and tell you later about other breeds.....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 22, 2004, 9:52 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1174 views)
Shortcut

to determine whether a dog is obedience a not. this really depends on yourself. you are the person who responsible to train your dog to be obedience.

if you train your dog well, i don't that he will simply jump on ppl.

if you plan to let your dog to be an indoor dog. i don't think he will tends to bark. coz usually dogs tends to bark at passer by.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 22, 2004, 9:53 PM)

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2004, 10:09 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Hi welcome to the forum.

I own a border collie. A collie is very active and will need to excersice quite a lot. If you like it to be a service dog is not really bad but I think german sheperd will be much better. Collie is very intelligent. If not train properly it will cause a lot of problem. But once well train is a very good dog to have as guard dog, service dog, pet dog, sheep dog, etc just name it and it will do it. Border collie can be use for many purposes but mainly for herding. If you want to get a medium dog always check if their leg is fine and strong. A lot of dogs have hips problem and become limp or become disable.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Jul 24, 2004, 8:45 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Puppy Advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking of German Shepherd now. Where can I get a good german shepherd and how much will that costs? I heard is quite difficult to maintain... in terms of grooming, skin problem, hip problem etc.

Have seen one in the pet shop but it is long haired and not sure whether it is a pure breed. Calling for RM950 without cert. I rejected it. Anyway, is female more obedient? this is what i heard.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 26, 2004, 6:16 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1097 views)
Shortcut

Grooming for shepherd is not that bad maybe need to consider shedding of hair. Hips problem will need to check on the dog when you buy the dog. Most big dog have this problem. I think you can check in the newspaper to find out for info and also can call to MKA to get phone number for breeder.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my