Clueless

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 11, 2004, 9:44 AM

Post #1 of 230 (3922 views)
Shortcut
Clueless Can't Post

Hi... This site sounds like a virtual community and everyone seems to know everyone!!! Except me, of cos... Unsure Anyway, thanks to this site, and after many researches, I found out that a shih tzu is the perfect dog for me and my kinda personality, and I got a shih tzu now! *smile*

Unfortunately, I dunno how to potty-train him cos he doesn't seem to wanna learn it... Unsure He's learning tricks faster than learning how to be house-broken. Can you all please help me? It's my first time having an indoor dog and the other dogs I had last time were stolen way before I know how to potty-train them (I was only 11 then)...

I'd really appreciate your help. And if there are other shih tzu owners who are willing to assist me through the growing stage of my puppy, that'll be great, so I won't be caught in a surprise/shock!! Wink

Love, Esther

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

Admin

Jul 11, 2004, 4:46 PM

Post #2 of 230 (3916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Clueless [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the forum. Please read the following forum categories on House Breaking that may help you

http://www.puppy.com.my/.../gforum.cgi?forum=63;

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 12, 2004, 1:15 AM

Post #3 of 230 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Hello Esther,

Welcome to this wonderful forum hahahah..... do list your self in the shih tzu list under the utility group hehehe.....

I also have a shih tzu and 3 other dogs..... so all together 4 lah....

You'll have to have patience with your shih tzu, by the way, hold old is your little one? One of the things I did was making sure he pee and poo on newspaper when mine was a puppy, I'll take some newspapaer and wipe some of his pee and put it in the toilet, when he makes the signs of wanting to pee and poo, I will carry him straight away to the newspaper and say the word 'pee'.... when he pees on the paper, make a big fuss, give him treats and pats, he will learn that when he pees on the paper, he will be rewarded.... try lah... it worked on all my 4 dogsSmile

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Jul 12, 2004, 6:57 AM

Post #4 of 230 (3903 views)
Shortcut

hi Clueless... welcome here!!! and happy to know that u got ur shih tsu.... how old is he/she now? to learn pee and poo.. will take more time then others...slowly lah..

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!
THE BULLDOG STATION **drop us a visit **
PHOTO ALBUM : PUPPY.COM & OTHERS
Ref: Pg 18; 19

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

yst323
Old Kaki

Jul 12, 2004, 5:28 PM

Post #5 of 230 (3900 views)
Shortcut

Hi Esther,

Warm welcome to you and your pup to this web... I'm new to this website too, just 2 weeks earlier than u only...Tongue

Well, I don't have shih tzu but I think in order to house train a pup needs a lot of patience and guidance. My pangpang is going to be 3 months old and I begin housebreaking train him when he becomes our family members 2 weeks ago... what I do is I spray some housebreaking aids on the newspaper and let him sniff. Whenever he wants to pee or poo, I guide him to the newspaper. At the beginning he will still pee on the wrong spot insteads of paper, u should tell him not to do it and direct him to the paper on the spot. When he pees correctly then u should pat him and praise him instantly. Slowly lah, u need to be long winded enuff to remind him again and again. My pangpang now knows where to pee and poo but will miss one or two lah, not 100% yet..Frown

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jul 12, 2004, 6:12 PM

Post #6 of 230 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Takes patience to toilet-train a dog. Plenty of help can be found here in this forum! Good luck! Wink

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 12, 2004, 8:51 PM

Post #7 of 230 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Hi welcome to the forum.

The most simple way is to put like a piece of newspaper on the floor. When ever your dog wanted to take a leak just put the dog on the paper immediately. That is most simple way but need patient and time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 13, 2004, 2:35 AM

Post #8 of 230 (3880 views)
Shortcut

Hi Esther,

A warm welcome to the forum here ! one of the way to find out how to train your dog better is to do a simple search in this forum for all the previous post advise given by members. Smile good luck and have fun training !

cheers,
minglmy

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jul 13, 2004, 5:29 AM

Post #9 of 230 (3878 views)
Shortcut

HI Smile

Big welcome to doggie lovers community... we are very happy to include you... so hope you'll have lotsa fun here meeting many fantastic ppl and getting to know new friends... its great Cool!!!

Dun worry about being blurr in the beginning... I was same but with the help of all the friendly members here, I soon found my way around... I am sure you'll do the same... so ENJOY Wink!!!

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 16, 2004, 9:44 AM

Post #10 of 230 (3859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Clueless [In reply to] Can't Post

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WARM WELCOME!!!! Angelic I'm having a little trouble with my shih tzu (name:BB) and I think it's "separation anxiety" in BOTH of us!!! Oh drats! Unsure BB's 'Daddy' thinks I pampered BB too much so recently, I stopped taking BB everywhere I go and leave him at home instead and this has been going on for about a week. In this past week, he's started to behave really badly and is even beginning to become aggressive, which is weird considering that shih tzus are not like that... Could it really be "separation anxiety"?? I can't sleep well at night thinking about not having BB in my bed and BB yelps, whines, pines and even barks angrily whenever I go upstairs without him... Should I send him to a puppy obedience class once he is old enough and have had all his shots (he's still got 1-more to go)??

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jul 16, 2004, 10:00 PM

Post #11 of 230 (3849 views)
Shortcut

HI Smile

Ahhh... I think BB is just being very 'manja'... I know how its like... my Ladee was once the same... I alway bring her along wherever I go and she was never left home alone... when we really had no choice and cannot bring her, she didn't liked it and started to show us how she felt by behaving badly... like what BB is doing now...

As much as I love and adore my Ladee... I have come to learn to lay some ground rules... so don't worry too much about BB... I am sure he'll be okay once he accepts the fact that being home alone sometimes is not a very sad thing... it took Ladee sometime to accepts that we cannot take her out all the time... she sometimes still tries her luck but a firm NO, she will be back in the house with her toys... they are just like kids... Wink

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 20, 2004, 12:03 PM

Post #12 of 230 (3826 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ladee_M! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I think BB's really "manja" too and his Daddy says that BB is just like me cos he thinks BB learnt how to "merajuk" from me!!! Hahaha! And I think BB's Daddy's just "chi sin"!!! Tongue

I've just begun to start scolding BB recently because he started this terrible habit of climbing up TWO FLIGHTS of stairs up to the rooms whenever no one is downstairs!!!

I've brought him back to be with me in MY parents' house (where BB's baby cot is... yeah, I know, I damn "manja" him... Tongue) and practically forced him to potty-train himself cos I know he won't wanna soil his sleeping pillow in his 'sleep-&-play-pen'... Though it's only been one day, so far, it's working!! I'm SOOoooOOO proud of BB!! Smile Guess that little "monster" can be an "angel" if I teach him well!! Awww... Angelic

Love, BB's Mommy

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2004, 2:19 AM

Post #13 of 230 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Thanks Ladee_M! [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Smile

a lil' TCL(Tender Loving Care) works wonders... hehehe Laugh... proud of you too Wink... bravo to BB Cool...

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2004, 3:01 PM

Post #14 of 230 (3820 views)
Shortcut

My dog's name is also BB a silky terrier. She is fierce and manja. Crazy Is really not easy to control her. Luckily she is quite obedient when comes to commanding her. Tongue

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2004, 3:41 PM

Post #15 of 230 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Hi kitconnie78!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey ya! Terriers are harder to train than Shih Tzus... That's why I got a Shih Tzu instead of a Yorkshire Terrier!! Tongue It's the whole personality-lifestyle compatability thing. My patience can be very short-lived, so I can't afford to "argue" with a Terrier and not end up losing my mental health!!

I presume you're a very patient and firm person kitconnie cos you seem to have a love for all doggies I find hard for me to control!! Wink

Love, BB's Mommy

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2004, 3:59 PM

Post #16 of 230 (3814 views)
Shortcut
Hiya! ladee_m!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how to post pictures of the little furball that's been giving me soooo much love and sooooo much terror!! Usually, I'm always "Kepala Ting-Tong" cos I like being ignorant sometimes rather than to know too much but lately, being BB's Mommy's making me an even worse "Kepala Ting-Tong"!! Crazy

Anyway, the method ain't working anymore. BB's not potty-training himself, he's waiting for me to take him out of his baby cot and into the hall where he will find various places to potty!! Arrrgh!!!

I table-trained him and he's been very good on a table but extremely terrifying on flat ground... *sigh* Sometimes, I just think that BB's actually a dog with an identity crisis cos he thinks he's a bull-dog or something!!

Moreover I fell down last Sat when I was out clubbing and now my right knees something like being temporarily crippled and BB keeps on wanting me to "clean-up" after him! Arrrrrgh!!

Do you think it's OK to send BB to an obedience school? Some people say that it's really cruel cos trainers uses chokers to choke the poor tyke... Is it true? I've read over some leaflets from Pet Safari and one class is hosted by people from MKA while another one is by a Singaporean K9 celeb. Do you think it'll work and do you think it's advisable.

Love, BB's Mommy

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2004, 4:42 PM

Post #17 of 230 (3813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Hi kitconnie78!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shih Tzu have good temperement. Terrier is not that bad also. For training wise both dogs can be well train as long as you patient and time. Keeping a terrier is nice because they are active and is fun. I do have Shih Tzu before long time ago but not that nice to play with. Tongue

Is really depend on how you control the dogs. No matter what dogs you have they are the same. I have 5 dogs in my house. Actually bring your dog for training is good but the way you handle your dog in the house have rather big effect on the dog. No point go for training when at home the dog go crazy. The obedient training is not cruel at all. Using the chook chain will help to control your dog. This is negative reinforcement use on the dog. You can go and visit the training session on Sunday afternoon around 4-5pm in Jalan Gasing, Padang Merbok. You will see how is the training and you can decide if you want to join in the training.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

(This post was edited by kitconnie78 on Jul 27, 2004, 4:46 PM)

yst323
Old Kaki

Jul 27, 2004, 5:50 PM

Post #18 of 230 (3809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Hiya! ladee_m!! [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Esther,
I thought of bring my lil to obedient training too but he is at the moment too small, only 3 mths not completed his vaccin yet.
I heard of the obedient training in pet safari too and in fact saw once which I think is the trainer as mentioned. Ppl in pet safari said the trainer from singapore is very good and effect can be seen within 3 classes. Is pretty expensive tho, I've missed the promotion done by pet safari which on costed rm188 compared to now rm350.

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 3:00 AM

Post #19 of 230 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Singaporean Dude [In reply to] Can't Post

The Singaporean dude's application form was the one that freaked me out! I was required to state the length and the thickness of my choker!! My BB is only 3months and 2 weeks old and he had just gotten his final shots last Sat, so it's still too soon for either you or me to bring your "babies" to the obedience training classes... Yup, both the price is the same, RM350, but the Singaporean dude's class is on Wednesdays...

Unless you don't have to work, or someone else is gonna bring your "baby" there for you, then it's the class... The class in an hour every Sat and Sun in Pet Safari. That is if they haven't changed much of the settings lah! ;p

BB's sleeping by my feet right now. He's flat out tired cos he's been playing with me from 3pm till 6:30pm!! Tongue What's Ladee doing?? Wink

Love, BB's Mommy

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 3:09 AM

Post #20 of 230 (3804 views)
Shortcut
Hi babe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heya...

How's your little precious(es)?? Wink Woah, you've gotta have a strong arm muscle babe! To be playing round with all five of your little preciouses!! I get backaches sometimes from just sleeping with one puppy!! I'm still wondering what is it about the floor that BB loves so much??!! Tongue I sleep with him on the floor sometimes and I always ended up having cramps in my hands!! Hahaha!

BB's lying near my feet right now. Poor thing is exhauted. And he refused to eat his kibbles... *sigh* Bet his starving and he's just being stubborn by not wanting to eat his kibbles... Well, he'll break down eventually... Wink Can't argue with a hungry puppy!!

So, how old are your litter of preciouses?? I'm gonna go out for a smoke in the yard now... And I'm gonna take BB out with me... So cheerio babe!! Smile

Love, BB's Mommy

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 4:18 AM

Post #21 of 230 (3801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Clueless [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not working... The whole potty-training thing is still a disaster! I tried the method you tried on all your four little babies but mine just ain't doing 'it' like that!! *ARRRGH!!!*

He's table-trained, can sit, can wait, can jump, can fetch-and-give but he can't potty right... It's easier if I just run around with a mop tied behind my back!!

Got any more tips?? Thanks!! I'd appreciate it!

Love, BB's Mommy

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 4:22 AM

Post #22 of 230 (3800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bull Lover] Clueless [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya!

Sorry for the late reply but I didn't realize that I can reply one by one at all!!! Hahaha! Told you I was clueless! Tongue

BB's 3-months and 2-weeks now so in less than two months, he'll be celebrating his half-birthday!!!

What dog do you own? As you know, BB's a Shih Tzu... And a psycho one too!! Tongue But I love him like that... A little crazy but still know when it's time to make his "sad pathetic manja" face... Wink

Love, BB's Mommy

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 4:29 AM

Post #23 of 230 (3799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yst323] Hey [In reply to] Can't Post

How's PangPang? Is he already fabulously potty-trained? BB's still like that... He's learned a number of tricks but he still haven't caught onto the ropes of being potty-trained... Can you hear me bang my head on the table??!! Hahaha!

I tried your house-breaking spray and I also tried using those disposable paddings that's got baking soda smell for house-breaking puppies and neither works... The worse thing is that I think BB takes that smell as to NOT to potty at that place!!! *ARRRRGH!!!* So, you can imagine my woes?? Tongue

Any other house-breaking tips on how you trained PangPang? PangPang and BB are about the same age right? BB's 3-mth-n-2-weeks now. How old's PangPang now?

Love, BB's Mommy

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 3:48 PM

Post #24 of 230 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Hi babe! [In reply to] Can't Post

When you have 5 dogs normally you have to play with them. They are like too busy playing with themselves. Unless you call them or they will like chase each other in and out of the house or roll over one another in the garden. Is really a happy thing to see them. I guess watching them play is most likely I will do then playing with them. Tongue

I still play with them everyday but when 5 of the them come together at you is a big business.........ha!!! The worse thing is my border collie can push me down. She is quite big now and my pug is very heavy. All my dogs are over the age of 1 except for my border collie which is only 5 1/2 months old. Going to be 6 soon. Smile

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2004, 5:13 PM

Post #25 of 230 (3793 views)
Shortcut

Wah.... so difficult ah our little one.... do you have grass in your area? Some dogs will do it only on grass..... if not, try to catch your dog doing its business and always say a word like pee or poo or whatever you want lah..... say it even if he makes a mistake... then carry your dog to a grassy area after he has had his meal and after he wakes up from sleep, say the word when he is about to do the thing...this takes a lot of trainig and time so just keep doing it..... Good Luck!Smile

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my