Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Scabs on elbows

yckuan
Novice

Jul 11, 2004, 9:30 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Scabs on elbows Can't Post

Hi! Need some advice, if possible. My dog has been having bald areas at the "elbows" of the forelegs for a long time. The lesion is dry and scabby. I've seen some other dogs with these lesions. Are they calluses? Are they normal? I mean like our elbows, they're in constant friction e.g. on tables, and so, our skin over the elbows tend to be rougher and drier than the rest of our bodies, right? So, is it the same with dogs?

My dog also frequently itches of the fore legs and likes to bite and chew the affected area especially at the flexures. There is some loss of hair, sparsely...not in patches but it is visibly less dense than the other areas. I don't see any pustules, redness or weeping lesions. Just dry and now, blackish coloured skin underneath the coat of fur. Same appearance of the inner regions of the hindlegs i.e. the "thighs".

I've been trying to look for colour pictures of skin diseases to try and identify the skin condition but have not been very successful. There's a lot of interesting discussion on mange but no pictures.

Any advice given is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

yckuan

Admin

Jul 11, 2004, 4:45 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yckuan] Scabs on elbows [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are calluses. Read this thread that has some previous discussion on the same issue

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 11, 2004, 6:17 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yckuan] Scabs on elbows [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Hard to say without seeing the dog ... but will attempt some "guess-work" ...

The elbows ... chances are that they are calluses ... A "scab" will be hard, just like the scabs that form on our skin after a cut or wound ... A callus is "rough & tough skin", that is hairless and usually of a darker skin tone. So, yes dogs form calluses just like us. One good way of reducing the callus area is to rub twice a day with a skin moisturiser ...

The "dry dark skin" in other areas of the dog which you say the dog chews and licks ... It's good that you don't see pistules or red spots ... The darker skin is often symptomatic of an allergy affecting the skin ... especially if the area is also itchy ... But it can also be symptomatic with fungus or yeast infections ...

So, suggest you take your dog to a good vet for examination ... You really need to find a vet who is experienced, otherwise all that will happen is a prescription of some cortizone and maybe antibiotic ... both of which only relieve the symptoms but does not address the cause of the allergy ...

Mange of most types ... generally there is intense itchiness ... red spots or patches ... eventually areas of hair loss ... The symptoms are often complicated with forms of secondary bacterial or fungal infections ... so attempting home diagnosis is not recommended ... If mange is suspected, the its off to the vet for a proper skin scrape examination.

With most skin conditions - getting your dog dog early & correct treatment is very important ... The longer you leave the condition, the more entrenched it gets and treatment becomes more difficult and costly.

Cheers

yckuan
Novice

Jul 12, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Scabs on elbows [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much! Your reply has helped a lot.

Regards,

yckuan

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my