Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Will dogs reach certain maturity have motherhood instinct even with no puppies? Help!

gladyslcp

Jul 10, 2004, 8:41 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Will dogs reach certain maturity have motherhood instinct even with no puppies? Help! Can't Post

I've a very loving lhasa apso. She is 3 years old now. I've also recently got a schnauzer (about 4 months ago). Both the dogs get along superbly! They enjoyed each other's company.

I've noticed a changed of character of my lhasa for the past one week. She suddenly got very protective over a old rubber toy which i bought for them 4 months ago..wherever she go, the toy is forever in her mouth.. she has even eat much less...

she likes to lie on a pillow i got for her to sleep on and chew the toy... when i walk near, she growled at me fiercely which is very unlike of her. She's guarding the toy like her puppy. She had even ignored the schnauzer..

I've never mate her before, will dog reach a certain maturity that they'll have motherhood instinct naturally? Something like longing to be a mother??

Gladys (Sunshine & Rumba)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 11, 2004, 6:28 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gladyslcp] Will dogs reach certain maturity have motherhood instinct even with no puppies? Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

I believe that its not so much "motherhood instincts" but being territorial over her favourite toy. I do not belive it has anything to do with whether you breed or do not breed your Apso.

Your Apso probably started being "protective" over her toy to keep your new Schz from getting it ... and that territorial instinct has (unfortunately) spilt over to you as well ...

You do need to re-condition your Apso not to growl at you though ... Best to nip such behaviour in the bud before they get too serious ... Search the threads on how to control dominant behaviour and issues of dominance ... Lots of good suggestions available.

Cheers

gladyslcp

Jul 26, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Will dogs reach certain maturity have motherhood instinct even with no puppies? Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

thanks for your advise.... will try to spend more time with her... actually she is behaving back to her normal self since i rid the toy.... probably the toy kena rasuk.... hope she'll be normal for good... she's very jovial now....

Once again, thanks a lot.. this is one website that i know i can get good advise from when i am faced with dog's prob...

Gladys (Sunshine & Rumba)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 10:08 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gladyslcp] Will dogs reach certain maturity have motherhood instinct even with no puppies? Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are most welcome. All the best with your dog.

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my