Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2004, 9:46 PM

Post #1 of 22 (3473 views)
Shortcut
PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM Can't Post

PAWS will be at Dogathon 2004 in UPM, and like every other year, they are hoping to raise funds and get a few puppies adopted out at the event.

I will be there with puppies for adoption, but would like some help managing the little ones if possible. If anyone who is going or has time to spare, I will certainly appreciate the extra pair of hands.

The event is on the 1st of August 2004, and there are directions to the site and event details posted on the puppy.com's event calender.

I was also asked by PAWS to make a request on this forum and other Internet sites. They would like to sell things like packet drinks, muffins, doughnuts, cakes, sandwiches and other snacks for the event and hope that people will chip in by donating foodstuff and drinks that can be sold.

If you are able to help, do contact me as foodstuff and drinks have to be collected or prepared in time for the event.

Volunteers@Work

(This post was edited by Cynhor on Jul 9, 2004, 9:49 PM)

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jul 21, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #2 of 22 (3321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

HISmile, juz wanna ask, if we hav anything we would like 2 donate (not heavyduty stuff, ofcos) can we bring it 2 yor site at Dogathon??Smile

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2004, 8:30 AM

Post #3 of 22 (3302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annjou] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

Hee hee. Thanks for the offer. 2 dozen doughnuts will be quite cheap (under RM10 I think) and PAWS can sell them for RM1 each, and make RM 24 from the sale. It does not matter how little or how much. Just a small gesture will help. Even rice is appreciated. They used over 100Kg each week for the dogs.

I will be there with 2 jeeps (husband unwillingly roped in) and will be able to take donated items back to PAWS if necessary. Hope to see you there.

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jul 27, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #4 of 22 (3280 views)
Shortcut

oh, tats great.. Crazyeeerr, i dont i'll be bringing food (dont know wher 2 find, sorry)Tongue, but i'll b bringing some cloths (with i tidy-up laz week) 4 PAWS...u sure i can pass it 2 u at dogathon??Smile oh, u r a real angelAngelic...

immy

Jul 28, 2004, 8:27 PM

Post #5 of 22 (3266 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i'll like to donate some drinks..how do i contact you tho? i can go over to paws tomorow, will u be ther around lunch?

err...do u mind telling me your name so i can look for u when i get ther..thanks!

by the way, i'm amyWink
immy

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jul 28, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #6 of 22 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cynthia!!

I may be able to help out with the pups that day but I've yet to confirm my attendance. If I can make it, I'll give you a call on Sunday.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2004, 7:36 AM

Post #7 of 22 (3240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [immy] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Unfortunately I am in Singapore these few days and will only be at PAWS on Saturday to prep the puppies for the Dogathon. Would be good if you can bring them in anyway and tell Maha (the vet in charge) or Charles, that the drinks are a donation for the Dogathon. You can also mention that you have been in contact with me. The office knows about the event on Sunday and is expecting people to pop in with donated items.

BTW, I am Cynthia and I can be reached at Volunteers@work 0129338108. Do feel free to call me. I should be in KL by Friday. Thanks again.

immy

Jul 30, 2004, 3:31 AM

Post #8 of 22 (3219 views)
Shortcut

hi cynthia,

i've passed the drinks to Maha. all the doggies ther are cute..ya gonna have a tough time deciding which one to bring..heheh..

c u Wink
immy

sasa
Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #9 of 22 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Hi immy,

sasa here. do u mind to let me know what kind of drinks do u intend to donate? can or pack or mineral water? cos i also planing to buy some drinks for Dogathon too Blush n i hope i can get some different flavour fr ur contribution. hope to get ur answer before i make purchases on Saturday morning. OK? Thanks.
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

valarie
Dog Kichi

Jul 30, 2004, 4:19 PM

Post #10 of 22 (3198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sasa] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

how to go UPM ?? any map??

immy

Jul 31, 2004, 3:55 AM

Post #11 of 22 (3186 views)
Shortcut

hi Sasa,

i gave bottle mineral water.Wink
immy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 31, 2004, 5:09 AM

Post #12 of 22 (3182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [valarie] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

you can get the map from upm web site or from this website

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2004, 5:29 PM

Post #13 of 22 (3163 views)
Shortcut

OH... BOWIE!!!!! He is sooo cute in the picture. And he looks so happy in the picture. Thanks for taking him and giving him a great home. I was so happy when you sent the other photos to me last week. Hope this is the start of many successful PAWS adoption.SmileSmileSmile

sasa
Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2004, 1:28 AM

Post #14 of 22 (3155 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for ur reply Smile
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

yckuan
Novice

Aug 2, 2004, 7:29 AM

Post #15 of 22 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Saw a few puppies at the Dogathon for adoption! Ai-yo, they're so lovable! Especially the black one -- what's its name? Did it get adopted? Colour looked like GSD or Rottweiler but definitely mix-breed, isn't she? Aiyah, should have brought my Toby along -- then can see whether they like each other or not. If cannot live together, then very susah... If can live together, then can take it home already-marr!

yckuan

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2004, 7:43 AM

Post #16 of 22 (3130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yckuan] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah the dogs for adoption are kinda cute. but the dogs for sale that were about the size of a mug are even cuter. wonder how much it cost. i even visited the exotic animals exhibition. those baby monkeys are adorable. same goes to the slow sloth or whatever it is call. hehe.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2004, 10:17 AM

Post #17 of 22 (3128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yckuan] PAWS at Dogathon 2004 in UPM [In reply to] Can't Post

I am afraid that the little fella is too young to have a name. We try not to give them names until they reach 5-6months old. Just easier as their medical records are tracked to cage numbers and not individual puppies.

No it didn't get adopted. In fact none of the 5 puppies we brought were taken. PirateFrown
BUT we had so many people who expressed an interest, so hopefully within the next week or so, we will see if people do pop by to pick them up.

BTW, puppies are normally sociable. Am sure that Toby would not mind a little country bumpkin from PAWS joining the family. Has he ever interacted with other dogs before?

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2004, 10:24 AM

Post #18 of 22 (3127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] A BIG THANK YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you to all who brought items for sale, volunteers who came in on the day to help, those who donated food and drinks. The stall was busy all day long, and PAWS collected about RM600 from the event.

I would also like to say thanks to all those who came up to say 'hello' and gave their support to the adoption and fund raising initiative. And thanks to those who signed the SPCA petition to the Prime Minister at our stall. I have been exchanging notes with some of you on this forum. It is wonderful to have finally met you in person. Do keep in touch pls.

yckuan
Novice

Aug 3, 2004, 6:00 AM

Post #19 of 22 (3111 views)
Shortcut

Toby is a she...yeah, although her name suggest otherwise. Well, I wanted to call her Tobiguchi initially but it complicated teaching her commands. So, she's called Toby now.

I am afraid Toby had not had much interaction with other dogs. Ever since I picked her up as a 2 month-old puppy from the nearby dump site, she had stayed mainly within my house compound. The occassional stray that came up the fence and gates were barked at aggressively and chased away. I really don't know how she would react to a puppy. The nearby kids who tease and threw rocks at her had made Toby treat all small living creatures as a threat. She had killed two sparrows and a bat so far.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear none of the pups were adopted. I really hope you'd have more visitors the coming week at PAWS. Good luck!

Regards,
yckuan

sasa
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2004, 7:00 AM

Post #20 of 22 (3087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] A BIG THANK YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

ar... RM600 only? so little Frown
BOWIE I MISS YOU!!!

annjou
K9 Maniac

Aug 4, 2004, 7:39 PM

Post #21 of 22 (3083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sasa] A BIG THANK YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

better than nothing....sikit sikit, lama lama jadi bukit.....SmileWink

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2004, 7:11 AM

Post #22 of 22 (3061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sasa] A BIG THANK YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of these events bring in funds via donation, the sale of items, adoption fees if any of the puppies are taken on the day and membership fees.

Unfortunately RM600 is about the standard take-in for such a day. Even jumble sales do not fare any better.

I would love to get PAWS working on their image and targeting different doner segments. Many corporations (Fortune 500 companies) give on an annual basis and some charities do get up to 1 or 2 percent of annual profits. Unfortunately PAWS have not even scratched that segment locally. Battersea and the RSPCA in the UK have houses and property donated by people who have passed away and put the charities in their will. There is indeed so much more that can be done.

BUT for now, RM 600 is good enough.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my