House Breaking An Adult Dog

renaoh
Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #1 of 20 (4462 views)
Shortcut
House Breaking An Adult Dog Can't Post

Hi,

I am in the midst of adopting an adult dogSmile. I think he is a mixed spitz/ GS and is around 3 years old. I am not sure what his toilet habits were or whether he is trained to poo or pee at a specific time/place by his previous owners. This poor dogUnsure has gone through 2 previous owners and is now currently being sheltered by a very-kind hearted samitarian.

My question is :- Does the rules for house breaking a puppy applies to an adult dog too? How often does an adult dog needs to pee n poo a day and how many hours can they " tahan" Laugh before they needs to poo or pee? I want to minimize accidents around the house and I think starting him training on day 1 would be a good start.

My search for a thread in this forum gives me tips for house breaking young puppies and so far I have not seen any for an adult dog. So please to all the sifus Slyout there, please advise. Thanks.

(This post was edited by renaoh on Jul 5, 2004, 10:14 PM)

May
Old Hand

Jul 5, 2004, 9:57 PM

Post #2 of 20 (4461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renaoh] House Breaking An Adult Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the rules for house breaking a puppy applies to an adult dog too?

Yes, the rules applies to adult as well. However, an adult dog need not go to the toilet so often. Mine can tahan up too 12 hours until I come back from work, which is actually not good for her bladder Frown. Probably you could try to bring him out once every 3-4 hours. As for poo, normally they will poo in the morning. I find that dog usually need to pee and poo in the morning right after they wake-up Wink.

renaoh
Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2004, 10:31 PM

Post #3 of 20 (4453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] House Breaking An Adult Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

The dog will be coming to stay with us on Saturday and I will look out for his "p&p" signs. I hope other forum members will come forward to offer their advise/opinions on this matter too.

There's also another issue which I wanted to ask:- Giving the dog a new name. How do I get the dog to answer to its new name? Will the dog be confused?

May
Old Hand

Jul 5, 2004, 11:05 PM

Post #4 of 20 (4451 views)
Shortcut

Believe me, practice makes perfect Wink Wink. Keep on calling the new name.....sooner or later the dog will knows that's his name.

Some dogs doesn't give you signal for p&p Frown. Initially mine doesn't but now she'll whine whenever she needs to go out Smile Smile. Better to follow the rules and take him out first thing in the morning, after drinking and after meal.....once every 3-4 hours. Later on you'll know his p&p schedule and it would be easier Smile Cool.

Taking care of an adult dog is just as tiring as taking care of a puppy. I lost a few pounds taking care of one......oso a good way to slim down Cool Tongue. Don't give up too fast and be patient. Give yourself and the dog a few weeks to adapt to the new situation.

Good luck!!!!

renaoh
Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2004, 11:35 PM

Post #5 of 20 (4450 views)
Shortcut

Tkns May,

Will keep in mind what you've said. The dog that I'm going to adopt has some sad history and I hope the poor chap will learn to trust us and that this home will be his last and permanent home.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 8, 2004, 7:46 PM

Post #6 of 20 (4425 views)
Shortcut

Normally older dogs know where to pee and poo, they like to do it on grass but if male dogs, then be prepared to see him pee on you flower pots, car tires and gates, this is a habit and it cannot be helped, all dogs like to do this but it can be trained not to pee on tires and walls and gates by psraying the area with lemon juice, or when you see your dog doing it at the worng places, spray him with the hose, it will make him surprised and stop doing it.... a dog can tahan it's pee for 6 hours but miximum is 8 hours.....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

May
Old Hand

Jul 8, 2004, 8:33 PM

Post #7 of 20 (4423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] House Breaking An Adult Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

"a dog can tahan it's pee for 6 hours but miximum is 8 hours..... "

You'll be surprise that mine can tahan for up to 13 hours!!! I know it' not good for her bladder and kidney but she doesn't wanna do it at the car porch but prefer to do it on grass. No one is around to walk her to the grass area and she have to wait for me to back from work.

renaoh
Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2004, 9:29 PM

Post #8 of 20 (4420 views)
Shortcut

Wow...13 hours is a very long time. Do you limit his water during the daytime? I read somewhere that it is better to remove their water bowl during the night to avoid them having accidents at night. I find that very cruel because surely they must be thirsty if we take away their water.

What do you think?

May
Old Hand

Jul 8, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #9 of 20 (4418 views)
Shortcut

Nope don't limit her water intake and she drinks alot....500ml in one go. Her last drink would be after her night walk at 9:30pm. At night I would removed her water bowl as no one is around to wipe her mouth after drinking.

Even if you don't remove the water bowl, I doubt an adult dog will have accident but for puppy, yes. My puppy had his last drink at 9:00pm and in the morning I still find him peeing in the crate. It's a matter of bladder control.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 8, 2004, 10:51 PM

Post #10 of 20 (4407 views)
Shortcut

Wha... tahan 13 hours!!!! That's long... my boxer is one silly doggie, at night I have to put him in his pen, an outdoor one and he can pee and poo whenever he wants lah but you know what.... he's is such a clean freak, won't do it, even after 10 hours..... then when I let him out.... wha.... can fill up a bucket hahahaha.... what I meant that max 8 hours is the average only, some dogs like yours very keng lah....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

May
Old Hand

Jul 8, 2004, 11:09 PM

Post #11 of 20 (4403 views)
Shortcut

It's actually not good for their kidney and bladder when they gets old Crazy. I wish she will do it at the car porch but she doesn't want to and wait for me to come back Frown.

Dog naturally will not soil their den....that explain why your boxer doesn't want eliminate in his pen Wink. It's easier for you to housetrain them, right? Smile

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 8, 2004, 11:18 PM

Post #12 of 20 (4400 views)
Shortcut

The funny thing is, that's not his pen but my other boxer's pen hahahah.... but they are very easy to housetrain.... my shih tzu is one good dog lah, when he needs to pee and poo, he will just look at us, then when I say 'yau liu ah?' he will wag his tail and I'll say 'outside' and he will straight away go out through the sliding door grill and go to the grass to do it.....

Your dog ah, maybe she don't want to give you any trouble at cleaning her stuff so she wait for you loh hehehe.... but 13 hours very long lah.......

May
Old Hand

Jul 8, 2004, 11:24 PM

Post #13 of 20 (4398 views)
Shortcut

"but 13 hours very long lah"

What to do ??? Have to cari makan oso mar Unimpressed....else where got money to feed her Crazy.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

Post #14 of 20 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Yes, yes, your right also..... she stay outside the porch ah during your working hours? Got grass or not?

May
Old Hand

Jul 8, 2004, 11:34 PM

Post #15 of 20 (4396 views)
Shortcut

Not grass laa Frown......most of the time she's in the house. Only in the evening will let her out cos she cannot tahan panas mar. I have tried putting her at the car porch day and night but she still refused to do her business there Frown. Another reason is I takut she get dognapped oso Frown. But during weekend I'll walk her 5 times a day to empty her bladder Smile.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

Post #16 of 20 (4395 views)
Shortcut

You got try litter tray? Some dogs can use wor... my friend's dog live in apartment and always pee and poo on newspaper in the toilet... dunno where it learn that lah coz my friends never train it, maybe from the previous owner..... but your dog really sayang you loh, don't even want to dirty your house or porch.....

Oh, your dog like grass ah? Why don't you buy one small roll of grass, I think 1 square ft cost around RM3, Then when she really need to go maybe will use the grass leh? Hahah... I'm really running out of ideas hahahaBlush

May
Old Hand

Jul 8, 2004, 11:58 PM

Post #17 of 20 (4393 views)
Shortcut

She's too big for a litter tray laa......my other puppy is doing on newpaper.

"Why don't you buy one small roll of grass, I think 1 square ft cost around RM3"

Hey!!! That's a great idea Wink. Where to get ar?? But donno whether she'll use it or not ler Crazy. Sometimes I oso feel unsafe to walk her especially early in the morning before the sun comes out Frown.....u know laaa.....now everywhere oso not safe....not even in front of your house...u know what I mean Tongue.

renaoh
Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2004, 12:44 AM

Post #18 of 20 (4387 views)
Shortcut

I have seen some box-tray grass mesuring 1'X'1 in flower/nursery gardens. For normal grass (I think they call it cow grass) it is about RM1.50 per tray. For the more expensive ones like "Pearl" grass, "Japan" grass etc. it could varies between RM3 to RM8 per tray. For toilet purposes, the cheap ones will do lor....

I like to relate one hilarious incident that I witnessed last Tuesday eveing on my way to the pasar malam near my neighbourhood. I saw this "extraordinary" dog doing its business near a drain at the back of a house and after she has finished, she turns round and use her fore legs to push her "loot" into the drain!

Her owner was a few steps away and I couldn't help asking her how she managed to train her dog to do that. She told me that when the dog was a puppy, it was housed in a cage right on top of the drain and it eat and shit there for most of its puppy life until the cage was too small for it. Subsequently when the cage was removed and the now-grown dog was "promoted" to live in the kitchen, whenever she needs to go toilet, it will go outside to the drain and once she has finished, she will flick her loot into the drain.

May
Old Hand

Jul 9, 2004, 12:56 AM

Post #19 of 20 (4378 views)
Shortcut

Wow!!! That's one smart dog Tongue!! Easier for the owner Laugh........but then the drain must be very smelly lar.....Pirate Frown. I think the best is still pick up after your dog, put in the plastic bag and dispose it in the garbage bin Wink.

(This post was edited by May on Jul 9, 2004, 12:59 AM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 9, 2004, 5:07 AM

Post #20 of 20 (4368 views)
Shortcut

The grass ah, you can buy any place selling live plants, if at sungai buloh, cheaper lah... if around our places, the price can be up to RM6.... depends on the type of grass too, they normally sell japanese grass or the normal grass....

I know, everywhere not safe... now when every I go I bring pepper spray.... last time I almost got harassed by a guy ah just outside my house, luckily my dogs kept barking... if not then I dunno what would happen to me loh.....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my