Article on humping...

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 27, 2004, 5:06 AM

Post #1 of 11 (7799 views)
Shortcut
Article on humping... Can't Post

HI all Smile

I was reading some article and came across this HUMPING article... hope it'll be of help to you guys...

Humping
by: Dr. Nicholas Dodman

Although humping is considered a sexual action, it can also be used to signal power and rank. Dogs do, in effect, employ humping as a way of asserting authority. Whatever the motivation, when humping is directed toward peoples’ legs, or objects in the environment, the result is the same: embarrassment for the dog owner and any guests who happen to be present.

Intact (unneutered) male dogs are most likely to engage in this disturbing behavior but neutered males and females may also express the behavior. The presence of sex hormones facilitates but does not dictate this annoying behavior. One out of three neutered male dogs and the occasional neutered female still engage in humping years after neuter surgery. Even when it’s slated to disappear, humping may persist for several months after surgery before its frequency and intensity eventually wanes.

Why Dogs Hump
The first and most obvious reason dogs hump is sexual. Intact males can perform humping as displaced sexual behavior analogous to masturbation. The fact that some dogs achieve orgasm while humping is testimony to this fact. Some male dogs continue to hump after neutering, possibly attempting to recreate the pleasure that the behavior once brought them. This could also be the reason why neutering is not immediately effective in curtailing the behavior in formerly intact dogs. It could be that it takes some time for the neutered dog to learn that things will never be the same. In one mixed-sex colony of intact dogs, neutering of males did not change the frequency of mounting or even penetration of bitches by these males for years following neuter surgery, indicating just how potent the memory of pleasure was in these dogs.

But sexual motivation is not the whole story because inexperienced neutered males and some females hump as well. The conclusion must be that mounting behavior ("humping") is genetically encoded in both sexes and may be activated by not only testosterone but also by other natural forces.

Motivationally speaking, dominance, or at least the wish to be dominant, seems to be another factor. Perhaps dominant "wannabes" obtain some intrinsic reward from engaging in the behavior. A chemical in the brain called serotonin is intimately involved in the desire and capacity to be dominant, and this chemical may play a role in the humping behavior. For instance, if a dog that previously hadn’t engaged in humping has low levels of brain serotonin, he may feel as if he’s in a funk. This situation might lead to feelings of agitation and also tend to enhance aggressive or impulsive behavior. The mental conquest afforded by humping might boost serotonin levels, as occurs in monkeys following a victorious interactions with other monkeys, creating a feeling of well-being and satisfaction.

In nature, the dominant dog is the one who get the privilege of breeding receptive bitches. It is not “first come, first served” but truly a contest of mental and physical strength. Nature has designed the brain centers that control sexual behavior and dominant aggressive behavior to be confluent so that sex drive and the need for social/political success are virtually inseparable qualities in all group-living species. Even in the absence of sex hormones and “true” sexual motivation, the other half of the equation is still operational, however redundant that may seem.

The fact that females also hump is hardly surprising. No behavior is purely male or purely female, though “sexually dimorphic” behaviors are, by definition, more common in one sex than the other. Humping is one such behavior, being far more common in males yet also a feature of some dominant females' behavioral repertoires. In addition, intact bitches may have appreciable levels of testosterone in their bloodstream, providing another facet to this already complicated situation.

Dealing With This Behavior

• Neutering intact males that are not to be used for breeding will reduce humping in some 60 percent of dogs. Some respond rapidly to neutering while others take several months to “unlearn” the behavior. Dominant dogs may continue to hump more or less indefinitely following neutering unless other measures are taken as well.

• Managing and retraining a dominant dog can help reducing humping, of people, at least. The essence of this retraining a 10 or 12 step leadership program for the dog’s owners to employ during interactions with their dogs. The message transmitted to the dog is one of having to work for what he wants and needs. This program catapults owners into a more respected leadership role, elevating them, in the dog’s eyes, to an immune-to-humping status within the family pack.

• Theoretically, drugs like fluoxetine (Prozac®) should deter humping by reducing libido and stabilizing dominance. The more stable dominance that results should make humping redundant.

Humping, while a nuisance for dog owners, is an interesting and biologically appropriate behavior. It is designed by nature in the interests of procreation but also signifies power and control. Although it may seem counterintuitive that females would be programmed to hump, no procreative behaviors are confined only to one sex only. Males are, in effect, modifications of the basic female blueprint so each sex has the potential for performing any and all of the behaviors exhibited by the other one, including sexual behaviors. Humping is one of those more-likely-to-be-seen-in-a-male types of behaviors, along with roaming, aggression to other males, and leg lifting. We should recognize the sameness and celebrate the difference!

• CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

Augustmoon
    Dog Kichi

Jun 29, 2004, 1:02 AM

Post #2 of 11 (7782 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [ladee_m] Article on humping... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,
    Thanx for the infoSmile Humping… act is very embarrassing when friends are around. My female kid used to do it on the floor mat most of the time. It’s just an animal sexual behavior. The attached article 12 General Rules for Training Dogs is good. Hopefully some of our new members can pick up some valuable points from the attachment.
    Regards.
    Augustmoon & winWinkWink

ladee_m
    Doggyman

Jun 29, 2004, 2:59 AM

Post #3 of 11 (7779 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Augustmoon] Article on humping... [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Smile

You are most welcome... Just doing my part sharing and truly hope it can help as my friend's dogs is having the problem and like you say, can be very embarassing Wink...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

Augustmoon
    Dog Kichi

Jun 30, 2004, 1:13 AM

Post #4 of 11 (7770 views)
    Shortcut

HiWink
    Just curious. Toy breeds seem to have these humping behaviors more than bigger breed. Is it true? My previous bullmastiff does not have such behavior.Cool

Regards.
    Augustmoon & win

ladee_m
    Doggyman

Jun 30, 2004, 3:18 AM

Post #5 of 11 (7768 views)
    Shortcut

HI Smile

Well, according to most of my findings and books I have, small breeds are more prone to this behavior... its usually associatd with dominance... kecil kecil cili padi... hehehe Laugh

Augustmoon
    Dog Kichi

Jun 30, 2004, 4:45 AM

Post #6 of 11 (7765 views)
    Shortcut

HiSmile

Thanx for the infoSly

Regards.

Augustmoon & win

ladee_m
    Doggyman

Jul 1, 2004, 2:00 AM

Post #7 of 11 (7756 views)
    Shortcut

HI Smile

Hey !Cool no problem... we are here to care and share Wink...

crazymouse_yyh
    Doggyman

Jul 6, 2004, 6:24 AM

Post #8 of 11 (7710 views)
    Shortcut

Agree, kecil kecil likes to hump, now my small babe is the alpha dog hahahaa....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
    THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

melissa
    ALPHA

Jul 20, 2004, 1:18 AM

Post #9 of 11 (7623 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Article on humping... [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughSlyWink, my little cili padi Cherry the toy poodle humped herself until she hurt her both knees as she did it on the floor Crazy when my female cocker was on heat.

Eventually I got to send her to my friend's house to separete them and wait until her legs are fully recovered before I can fetch her back Pirate.

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

crazymouse_yyh
    Doggyman

Jul 20, 2004, 2:55 AM

Post #10 of 11 (7619 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [melissa] Article on humping... [In reply to] Can't Post

She humped herself till hurt her knees? Or she humped your cocker?Blush

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
    THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

melissa
    ALPHA

Jul 21, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #11 of 11 (7613 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Article on humping... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi crazymouse_yyh

She humped on my cocker 1st then continued the action on the floor Crazy and this is how she injured her knees Frown.

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

(This post was edited by melissa on Jul 21, 2004, 12:39 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my