Housebreaking training

yipwengcheong
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2003, 3:33 AM

Post #1 of 22 (6185 views)
Shortcut
Housebreaking training Can't Post

Hi all,

Do anyone have experience successfully train their dog in housebreaking. My Shih Tzu is from 3 months where I brought her till now age 1 year old also failed to response to my training . The training I had try so far such as using housebreaking liquid which can be found in the pet shop and also paper training also failed.

To make this worse, she just urine everyone she just wants and even on the sofa, just image how frustrated am i Crazy... soo anyone... any suggestion???

Thank you.

Regards;

Yip

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 8, 2003, 6:39 AM

Post #2 of 22 (6178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yipwengcheong] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Yip,

There is another thread on HOUSE BREAKING HELP and you may wish to take a look.

Khoo BG

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 8, 2003, 9:04 AM

Post #3 of 22 (6176 views)
Shortcut

Are you always away from home?
housebreaking training doesn't take long to come to success, but you definitely need time and patient to focus on your dog training sessions.
Say, if you spend one hour per training session, you have to focus on it, and make sure your dog won't be distracted by other things.

Mack managed to make it in real short period of time. First, I trained him with newspapers, then everytime he sniff at the papers, i'll bring him out to the back yard immediately. Since he enjoy outdoor so much, he knew whenever he needs to go wee-wee or poo-poo, he'll goto the door and look at me. If i'm not at home, then he'll goto the papers and wish anyone see him doing that will bring him out. Soon after the paper-training, he knew how to call people to bring him out.

Oh yeah, for the paper training, for the first few days, when he pee or poo anywhere other than on the paper area, i'll follow him and quickly put the papers underneath him, so he'll get used to papers "under" his private part"Tongue
once he knew there should be papers when he did his business, then he'll try to find for the papers next time. I also put doggie-pampers (absorbent) beneath the papers so it won't split.

Hope my ways will give you some hints.

Enjoy the training session as you'll miss the time in future.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 8, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #4 of 22 (6161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

Code
I also put doggie-pampers (absorbent) beneath the papers so it won't split.

wat does the absorbent look like and where can we get it?thanks
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 8, 2003, 11:49 PM

Post #5 of 22 (6152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

lulugurl,

the "pampers" looks like 2'x2' mat, white color with blue color boundary strips. (like those ppl use in hospital for patients who are inconvenient to get to the restroomBlush). The one that i bought came in a bag of 10 pieces, the package really looks like baby pampers packing.

Um.... i got it from US, can be found in any doggie sections from most stores. I think it's not hard to find in M'sia. Just goto the pet store and ask for "absorbent mat" for dogs.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

tipperpup
Novice

Jan 9, 2003, 6:50 AM

Post #6 of 22 (6136 views)
Shortcut

its never to late to crate !! my girlfrind adopted about 1 year old lab/mix,the poor dog was teied to a dog house for all her life,there for she was never housebroken,when my girlfrind got her ,the dog pooped and puddelt all over the house,so we got on the computer and just typed in seach engin ,crate training for adult dogs,and a hole bunch of info came up,well she used it and has now a clean dog!hope this helps. tipperpup

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 9, 2003, 5:09 PM

Post #7 of 22 (6126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tipperpup] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

is your dog alone in the house most of the time? because when she pee and poo, there isn't consistent 'telling' her what to do, perhaps that's why they think it's ok to do it here or there. When i got my dog back, we set up a newspaper corner for her and whenever she looks like she's about to pee or poo, we'll carry her right on to the newspaper. If she does it else where then I'll grab her behind the next and let her look at her output and say NO! somehow, they'll 'GET IT'

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 16, 2004, 9:34 AM

Post #8 of 22 (5702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

you can find the doggie-pampers at pets wonderland or any pet store. i just bought a packet of 14sheets for round RM28 and a packet of 24sheets one costed round RM43 at pets wonderland... whoever said that our 'babies' come cheap??!! Tongue

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2004, 7:35 PM

Post #9 of 22 (5596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

jaz, how to tell your dog not to pee/poo on the spot. according to what you have posted, after the dog have pee/poo at the wrong place,ask her to look at her output and scold/advice him/her not to do it again? is that what you mean?

hkling888
Novice

Aug 20, 2004, 6:16 PM

Post #10 of 22 (5266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
you can find the doggie-pampers at pets wonderland or any pet store. i just bought a packet of 14sheets for round RM28 and a packet of 24sheets one costed round RM43 at pets wonderland... whoever said that our 'babies' come cheap??!! Tongue

No need buy at petshops... or pets wonderland.....

Just get it at pharmacies - they are called pads.... some called them health pads, some called underpads....

They are at least RM10 cheaper...

Our babies doesn't come cheap.... but we have to be cost effective... better to spend money on more essential items....

Esther6281
ALPHA

Aug 23, 2004, 6:59 AM

Post #11 of 22 (5127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hkling888] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, no need for them no more!!! Wink Hey ya! My BB don't need those disposable dispers anymore. He uses a towel instead and is perfectly potty-trained (touchwood!) now... I'm so proud of my little son!! Tongue

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2004, 8:39 AM

Post #12 of 22 (5126 views)
Shortcut

hey

hi there, nice tohear that your bb is trained to do his business the easy way. bb don't have problem with the towel is it? if i use towel or cloth or anything that is able to be bitten , sure my pup bite. sad.

Esther6281
ALPHA

Aug 23, 2004, 11:59 PM

Post #13 of 22 (5117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope, I don't have any prob with BB using the towel as his potty-towel cos since he seemed to have a preference for towels instead of those disposable diapers or newspapers, I'll just let him have his way and save myself the headache! Tongue Shih Tzus are smart enough to train themselves if their owners respond to them correctly, I guess... Cos so far, BB's, more or less, been training himself! Tongue

Love, BB's Mommy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 24, 2004, 12:06 AM

Post #14 of 22 (5116 views)
Shortcut

good to hear that. so ru going for jungle trekking this sat? i hope to see bb and mommy/.

Esther6281
ALPHA

Aug 24, 2004, 12:42 AM

Post #15 of 22 (5113 views)
Shortcut

Don't think so... Cos I might have other plans... But do fill me in on the details anyway... Wink

Love, BB's Mommy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 24, 2004, 12:55 AM

Post #16 of 22 (5111 views)
Shortcut

ok i will keep you update.

Esther6281
ALPHA

Aug 24, 2004, 4:49 PM

Post #17 of 22 (5096 views)
Shortcut

Thanks dude... And you have my number if anything lah... Laugh

Love, BB's Mommy

PIPIMOM
Canine Addict

Oct 29, 2004, 6:03 AM

Post #18 of 22 (4747 views)
Shortcut

hi Yip

This is PIPI's mom. Guess you know who I am

I am a new member here and found your name in this thread.

I have posted two : you can read under CHIT CHAT, INTRODUCTION, AND GOODBYE TO OUR PETS IN HEAVEN.

Hope your furkid is not housebreaking anymore.

Regards.

PIPImom

suven_evin
Novice

Nov 15, 2004, 1:41 AM

Post #19 of 22 (4559 views)
Shortcut
Re: Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I'm gonna be asking a very dumb question here... I've been reading some of the house breaking forums and I see ppl mentioning about using crates. What's a crate??? Unsure

sorry ah... it's not a very smart question.. hehe..Tongue

thanks!

suven

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Nov 16, 2004, 3:54 AM

Post #20 of 22 (4547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suven_evin] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

that's not a dum question lar... many ppl also like that... a crate means cage lar... u wanna keep ur dog in a crate ar? dun lar, i suggest u juz keep ur dog in the crate only at night or when u r away... if possible, dun keep ur dog i n a crate... if u afraid that ur dog might pee n poo everywhere, juz toilet train them... ok? Tongue

suven_evin
Novice

Nov 16, 2004, 6:14 AM

Post #21 of 22 (4546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JuStiN'doGgIe] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile actually never thought of teh crate thingy or keeping doggies in crates till I read the forums... hehe..

but some suggested that it's good to use the crate... but i've nv kept dogs in crates before.. so thought I'd ask to find out...

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Nov 17, 2004, 12:11 AM

Post #22 of 22 (4528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suven_evin] Housebreaking training [In reply to] Can't Post

yea, but u'll have to train it to go inside the cage by command, DO NOT force it in ! yea, sometimes crate can be very useful, like when u r sleeping at night, when u r away n etc, u can put it in the crate... but try putting some of ur dog's favourite toys n ur old clothes in the crate, so that ur dog wont pee n poo inside especially males who often pee to mark its territory... about crate training, i still need advice lar...

Justin

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my