IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
sign of pup sick

joanna

Jun 15, 2004, 10:15 AM

Post #1 of 11 (1141 views)
Shortcut
sign of pup sick Can't Post

hi im a new owner to a dog...can anyone tell me what are the signs that shows a pup is sick...my pup is very active but eat less....is it consider healthy...

sbt
Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2004, 9:57 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanna] sign of pup sick [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I am a new puppy owner too. As a new owner I am also anxious, that I underfed my puppy. So I “overfeed” him. His stools seem to be soft and watery whenever I overfed him.

My thought is that since your puppy is not lethargic but active, eating less is okay.

I don’t think in the real world,(Wild) they eat three/two times a day that we feed our domesticated dogs.

Off course Let us hear from some of the Sifus here.
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

joanna

Jul 1, 2004, 12:41 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sbt] sign of pup sick [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah thanx a lot... i got a lot of reply...n they says that its ok if our dogs eat less as long as they are active n playin...now my little doggie is back to normal (her food intake) is good....i guess her diet slowed down is due to her changing her teeth...

BTW what dog do u hv? Mine is mix shi tzu (MIKO)....

sbt
Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2004, 1:47 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1108 views)
Shortcut

I am happy to hear that your puppy is back to normal.

Mine, is a 7-8 weeks Golden Retriever. I now feed him twice a day. Some people advised me to feed thrice a day as he is just a puppy. I am not sure which to follow.

"Thunder" is a cutie-pie. Much joy and headache.Sly

joanna

Jul 1, 2004, 8:49 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1104 views)
Shortcut

i thrice would be better ...there is someone here told me b4 feeding them thrice when r young is better as they need all thr nutrients they can get....they need to be strong now.....i got the advice from the members here....im feeding my dog thrice still now too...she is 7 months old now...what r u dog's name....

sbt
Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2004, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1101 views)
Shortcut

His name is "Thunder" he is a cutie-pie. Much joy and headache.

I hope to put up his pic. avatar soon.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 1, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Hi guys ...

Some general rules of thumb with respect to feeding puppies ...

(a) How often to feed? ... Feed between 2 to 3 times a day ... small portions until pup is about 10months old (or thereabouts) ... After that, for small breeds, you can continue to feed 2 meals a day (they have small stomachs and seem to do better on 2 small meals rather than one big meal) ... for larger dogs - once they hit adulthood, one meal should suffice.

(b) How much to feed? ... This depends from dog to dog and from breed (size) to breed ... Observe their poop, if the poop is soft, reduce food ... if the poop is very hard, increase the amount of food ... (In both cases, increase or reduce gradually ... until the poop is firm to the touch, and can be picked up in one piece) ...

General cautions:

Do not overfeed a pup/dog ... overweight pup/dogs will not be as healthy and can have health problems ... Slight underfeeding (especially with the larger breeds is recommended) ... It is better for a pup to grow slowly with time to build strong bones, then to grow too fast and have skeletal issues later on ... Slightly underfeeding your dog will NOT affect it's eventual size or growth ... The dog will still grow to its genetically determined size, just that it will grow slower and be more healthy.

With pups especially - I would concentrate on quality rather than quantity ... Good nutrition when dogs are young means healthier and stronger adults (just like people) ... Check the threads on nutrition and what is good nutrition.

A healthy pup is active, with bright eyes ... generally alert (but do remember, pups do sleep a lot) ... responsive and playful ... A dog that is sick will generally want to just lie down in a corner and not move so much ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jul 1, 2004, 11:44 PM)

joanna

Jul 2, 2004, 8:36 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] sign of pup sick [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx surchinmy....ur advice are very useful especially to us first time dog owner...i take note on what you wrote here...thanx a lot

joanna

Jul 2, 2004, 8:47 AM

Post #9 of 11 (1085 views)
Shortcut

says hi to thunder for me...cant wait to see his picture here.....

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2004, 2:05 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1069 views)
Shortcut

You are most welcome ...

If you use the search function and check the threads ... you will find that many common issues related to puppies ... to basic training ... basic nutrition ... etc ... have been discussed ... and lots of information is available ...

Cheers Smile

joanna

Jul 3, 2004, 8:51 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] sign of pup sick [In reply to] Can't Post

yup i did found a lot of interesting n learned a lot from it...even save it Tongue...who knows i may needed it again in the future...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my