Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Grow Fur

wpheng
Novice

Jun 7, 2004, 7:05 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Grow Fur Can't Post

Hello. I am new here. I have no experience with dogs at all. I am scared of dogs.

Anyway, my sister brought home a very sorry looking dog today (mixed Shi Tsu, I think.. quite old). Her boyfriend found the dog.

This poor dog is very thin. Her tail is now almost bare... no fur.

What can I do to make her healthy again? Will her fur grow back?

tpsing
Dog Kichi

Jun 7, 2004, 7:46 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wpheng] Grow Fur [In reply to] Can't Post

The dog is thin is definite because the dog lack nutrition. As long as you start feeding the dog proper balance diet food, you will be able to nurse the dog back to good health and the coat will improve with time. My suggestion is to add some coat supplement to the diet of the dog. Coat supplement is easily available in most pet shop.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 7, 2004, 6:02 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1866 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

good thing that ur sister's bf did... taking the dog back home...

since u guys found the dog... i would assume the dog strayed for quite a while... the best thing to do now is to take the dog to a vet for a check up, just to make sure the dog does not have any serious illness... and if so, the vet would be able to advise u what to do next...

good luck with the dog... any other questions that u may have, pls do not hesitate to post in the forum...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jun 8, 2004, 2:52 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Hi welcome to the forum,

To keep a dog healthy you must make sure they have enough food and water everyday. Keep them clean and bath them once a week not too many times. If you put your dog outside of your house make sure is a place cover so it won't be wet when rain and hot when the sun is up. Clean the place your dog sleep everyday. Make sure the dog pee and poo some other place which is not the place the dog sleep. Always remember to keep your dog warm when is outside.

The fur will slowly grow back when she is in good health. Just make sure she don't wet the fur too much.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

wpheng
Novice

Jun 9, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Re: Grow Fur [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all your advice. Mum brought the doggie to a vet today. The doc said she is 5 years old... How old is that in term of Shi Tzu lifespan?

The poor thing Frown got Glaucoma. Mean she is getting blind right?

Anyway we are keeping her and will get her vacinated soon.

nathalie
Doggyman

Jun 9, 2004, 10:52 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1838 views)
Shortcut

generally a shih tzu's life span if properly taken care of can exceed 10 years..up to 14 years.

as for glaucoma..hope this will help:

http://tm.wc.ask.com/...nicable/glaucoma.htm

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jun 9, 2004, 4:31 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1836 views)
Shortcut

Not neccessarily the dog will go completely blind. Sometimes is just the vision will be very blur.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

wpheng
Novice

Jun 13, 2004, 12:06 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Grow Fur [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

The dog is now much better. Since I've never had a Shih Tzu before, can it take a bath everyday? My mum seems to like bathing the dog Tongue

Well, this dog is very moody... ignore me now becoz I tied her up so that she didn't rub against the wall when she was wet....

Everywhere she seems to grow back her coat... but not the tail.... maybe that takes time.

Have a nice weekend!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 13, 2004, 8:26 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1816 views)
Shortcut

hi wpheng,

good to know that ur shih tzu is doing better now and the hair grew back...

unlike us, dogs do not require daily bathing... they produce a kind of natural oil that they need so bathing them too frequently will wash this moisture away and is not a good thing for the dog...

bathe ur dog only once a week and remember to dry her thoroughly... if u really must, u can maybe wipe her hair with a wet cloth until her next bathing time comes...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my