Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
agressive puppy

tipperpup
Novice

Jan 5, 2003, 11:18 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2223 views)
Shortcut
agressive puppy Can't Post

hi, i have been all over the net to find some info about agressive puppies but have not been able to find answers to my problem with my 8 week old puppie tipper,who does all the normal puppy behavior like trying to bite our hands and so on , and i do know what to do,about that, but when i pick her up and want to keep her on my lap,and she does not want to,she becomes very cross,growling and biting. so far i have turned her on her back and waited for the puppy to came down ,it works, but the next time i pick her up and she rather wants to play with the kids the bad behavior start all over. so i need some help ,does anyboby know what to do?

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 11:21 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tipperpup] agressive puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think that your puppy is still very young... but it's never too early to start training them to be obedient. You can always roll up a newspaper, like what i did to jaz, my silky.... I will not encourage to use your hand to hit them the next time you raise your hand, they might run away.. Now if Jaz does something which I do not approves of, once she sees me rolling up the newspaper, she knows to stop doing what she's doing or give your dog a loud and stern "NO". They will get it eventually as dog can read and understand the owner's expression to certain extend. Of course this doens't happen in a day, you must be consistant as well. However, it is common for puppies to act like these as they are quite playful. But you will only give them a hit with the newspaper on thier back IF they did something wrong.. otherwise, if they do something which you approve, always PRAISE and give them snack as a reward.

bosco
Novice

Jan 6, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Winkhi! we are selves have a nine week old puppy and although not necessarily aggressive but really tries to dominate, when he bites skin we yelp and walk away, the pup will need this done a few of times before he gets it, but he will. When he bites our clothes or pants we say no firmly and replace it right away with a suitable chew item and tell him what a good boy he is. As for playing with the children, they should try to stand while playing with him for now until he can understand and follow through on some of the play time rules. The kids should practice their firm no's and walk away, he will learn that if he wants to play his teeth go on the toy only, and the kids should take it away every now and then, to remind him who has control as well as make him sit at every turn, it will help puppy know his place. I wouldn't say your puppy is aggressive just really testy perhaps he was the leader of the pack where he came from and being lowered, is a fight he's willing to take until he is put in his place enough timesPirate.good luck and most of all have fun.Smile

Sandra c/o Bosco.

(This post was edited by bosco on Jan 6, 2003, 7:11 AM)

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 6, 2003, 8:37 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2201 views)
Shortcut

hi tipperpup

we had a puppy in our litter like that, used to growl when picked up... and became really growley for no reason after turning 8 weeks. But we discovered the problem was that he was really hungry... he would want to eat like ANYthing... it was coz we were feeding him just dog kibble which he maybe couldnt eat so much of coz while they were so small he'd have to chew a long time before eating each piece. When we added canned dog food, he became much better.

tipperpup
Novice

Jan 6, 2003, 10:31 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] agressive puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

tanks for all of your replys and good adweis i will try them out and will let you know tippers progress. sabine[ tipperpup]

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2172 views)
Shortcut

yeah, let us know if it works :) or perhaps you can gives us other tips if your idea works :)

tipperpup
Novice

Jan 9, 2003, 6:28 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] agressive puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

hi everyboddy,just wanted all of you know that tipper is much better now,not perfect,but she is getting there ! i took some of your addweis like making sure the kids use there firm no's.we made sure that she gets enough food,and we tryed to be consistent,i also added for the puppie to be hold a lot by every body in the familie ,we just hold her and when she gets all growly and wants to bite we don't let go,we try for her not to bite us ,but if she does we do the puppy yell and she will stop,meanweile we keep on talking to her and petting her,when she than gives up and and makes no more sound we keep on talking and stroking for couple of minutes,than we let her down.in the beginning it took some time for tipper to calm down but by now her growling and biting has turend into pittyfull wimmpering,but just for a short time and than she seems to enjoy the petting and talking,at the same time i can check her teeth and clean her eyes and so on[brushing her is still a pain in the...]tanks again,combining everthing ,i'm pretty sure we are turning her in to a calmer and frindly puppy!! Sabine

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 9, 2003, 4:42 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2139 views)
Shortcut

Hey! Glad to know that we are seeinig improvement for Tipper :) Anyway, just to share with you, evey Jaz is about a year old now but she's still nibbling here and there at times, especially newspaper! whenever i sit on the floor, trying to read my paper, she just HAS to sit right in the middle of my paper and start nibbling them and make a hold in the middle of my paper!!!! I suppose she just wanted to play or seeking attention.. but after a few stern NO and a hit with the newspaper behind her butt, she now just sits on my newspaper and not so much of nibbling anymore :)

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jan 12, 2003, 9:09 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2123 views)
Shortcut

hi, Jojo used to be a super agressive dog. We never got the chance to pet her, because she will bite on us whenever we get near to her..Unsure even put on the chain also a very tough job for me.. but now no more, may be u can take this method as reference as well...just shout 'OUCH' LOUDLY and walk away.. they enjoy playing so much that they just can't lost their playmate for 1 second.. slowly they will change from bite to just mouth, but u still have to act and shout out 'ouch' loudly then WALK AWAY.. then he will start thinking : human skin is really sensitive, i can bite on the cat even harder than thatUnsure i have to be more carefully next time..u have to return back to them after few mins to show that u still love them and can continue playing with them.

if your dog forget the 'punishment [i.e. lost their playmate] ' and bite again while playing, just repeat the above method. remeber : don't punish them, they will only stop biting on those who punish them but will bite on those who can not control them.. i.e. your children.

hope this can help..Wink
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 12, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] agressive puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree, somehow our dogs will be able to read our expression, if they bite on, say NO loudly and give them the cross or disapprove look, they will eventually get it.

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2003, 7:53 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] agressive puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I recommend the word ‘Ouch’ because it is a signal to let the dog know we get hurt. However, it is good that puppy play bite during their puppy hood so that our pup will know their limit. And it can only learn its limits by exceeding them during development and receiving appropriate feedback. For a puppy doesn’t mouth or bite at all, they will never learn to inhibit the force of their jaws. Hence, their first bite might lefts deep puncture wounds.

Some book guide to used ‘NO’ to stop pup on bite, probably is another method for reference. Wink
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 14, 2003, 7:39 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] agressive puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

not really cruel, but best thing i find to use is to roll up the newspaper and wack her on her back to tell her NO. This is wrong to do! and you will never see it repeat again :)

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 15, 2003, 9:36 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1996 views)
Shortcut

We have been having some of the same problems with our eight week old female boxer puppy. I have been using the ouch technique when she is biting too hard and it is working for me. I say it really loud in a high pitch voice. I was told that her litermates bite to play and that they yelp when it is too hard. It has not worked with my five year old son. He is very hyper with her. He wants to love on her and does not give her the time to warm up to the affection. He will jump on her doggy bed (which scares her) and them start smothering her with love. She is now growling at him before he gets the chance to love on her. We have been trying to explain to him that he is scaring her and that she is giving him huge warnings to back off. I fear that she will nip at him (and it wont be a small gentle one that she is trained to do to me) and that he is killing the trust between them. I think that she sees him as one of her litermates and is trying to control him. He is affraid of her biting him but that fear hasnt stopped him from his actions.

Have any of you experienced this and how did you deal with it. She is a very tolerant dog (even after what I have said above) and is being pushed to her limits. I am nagging him to stop and he is turning me off rather than listen. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is a very affectionate dog and I would love to see the two of them become the best of buds as the rest of the family has with her.

Aricka

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my