Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
my dog eats her own fur

cavey
Novice

Jun 4, 2004, 10:18 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2440 views)
Shortcut
my dog eats her own fur Can't Post

i've notice my shih tzu's both hind legs & her tail's fur has thinned alot. have been suspecting she eats her own fur. just now, i caught her eating her front leg's fur, & licking her mouth as if she has a great meal.

why is she doing this? any way to stop her from eating her fur? it seems this habit is making her vomit.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2004, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cavey] my dog eats her own fur [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

I don't think she is eating her own fur ... but she may have some itchy spots ...

Do give her a good check, under her coat ... push her coat aside and examine carefully ... see if you find any red areas or spots ... If you do, take her to a vet for a check up ...

In the meantime, try giving her a good wash with a mild medicated shampoo like Epi-Sooth ...

Cheers Smile

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 5, 2004, 12:52 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2418 views)
Shortcut

HI Smile

From what I know, this behavior of pulling or biting fur usually means there is an allergy... My Ladee did the same at one time coz of food... the skin looks just fine and healthy but she seems to be itching and started to pull her fur at the hind legs and butt Unsure... now she is all better and no more problem after I change her food... Cool

Hope your furkid get well soon Wink...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

cavey
Novice

Jun 9, 2004, 8:21 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] my dog eats her own fur [In reply to] Can't Post

well, my dog is a fussy eater. there's a time where i didn't have the time to buy her usual dog food when its finished, i went to borrow from a friend who is eating a cheaper brand. every time she ate, she vomitted, even when i stop feeding her that food, she still vomitted once or twice.

what brand is your ladee eating now?

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 9, 2004, 4:51 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2380 views)
Shortcut

HI Smile

Ladee is now on dry kibbles [we are not suppose to name brands here so pls try to guess, its Euk*n*b*] mix with home cooked chicken meat and carrots blended... I use to give her canned food mix with her kibbles but have since found out that canned food is not very good Unsure...

I have also discover lately that many commercial dog food out there is BAD... the ingrediants that they use to make the dog food is not what we seem to think it is... so if you are feeding your furkid do look for a good quality brand... what I give Ladee may not be the best and I am looking into better brands with the help of other members Wink...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jun 10, 2004, 6:16 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2369 views)
Shortcut

hi Cavey, I have experienced my dog vomitting as if really sick when the brand of kibble is switched abruptly to a not so good brand. Nowadays, I keep the kibble in 2 containers. So, when I scrape the bottom of the first one, I know I really have to get some more but I still have some left in the second smaller container to tide me through a few days. If I cant get the same brand I will still have some old stuff left to mix and switch gradually. Best regards,J

ckbeep

Jun 18, 2004, 1:18 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2334 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I think your dog paws is itchy. Try to trim the fur along the paw and try to bath him with mild shampoos. Tried tea-tree and it is good for the skins.

CkBeep

michellechen

Jul 25, 2005, 10:30 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] my dog eats her own fur [In reply to] Can't Post

My pup also been scratchin here n ther, though not 2 often, but he s it evry now n then. He also has d habit of biting his own tail n sumtime his paw n fur... Is he only bein playful n naughty or ther's smt worng with him? Should I stop him fr doin tht? If yes, how?
-michelle-

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 4:13 AM

Post #9 of 11 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] my dog eats her own fur [In reply to] Can't Post

Switch to a food that is for allergies.

mikichua
Novice

Aug 24, 2005, 3:02 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lapdog] my dog eats her own fur [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog don't really scratch herself so i don't htink it is allergy or red spot but i think she is also eating her own fur because i can see fur in the poo!

Pls advice is anyone here having the same issue.

lapdog
Novice

Aug 24, 2005, 2:15 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1664 views)
Shortcut

First, I would put her on an allergy food anyway, just in case. Make sure its a good food with adequate protein, no grocery store brands. Go to a good feed store and ask for a quallity food, or get one online shipped to you.

Second, are you crating your dog for long periods or leaving your dog alone for long periods? It could be a little separation anxiety and nervous behavior. Better food will help that some. Otherwise, I would get an elizabethian collar and make her wear it until she forgets that behavior. It could just be a bad habit she needs to break. The longer she does it, the more of a habit it will become and the harder it will be to break. you could also stop her by putting her in a baby onsie with a hole cut out for the tail. Those are the baby t shirts that have the snap crotch.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my