Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks

ACJ
Novice

Jun 3, 2004, 5:42 AM

Post #1 of 18 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks Can't Post

I'm looking for Rhodedian Ridgeback dog , can anyone let me know is there any breeder in K.L & P.J area ?

And also like to learn more about this dog

Thank you.

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 3, 2004, 7:43 PM

Post #2 of 18 (2270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ACJ] Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Smile

Welcome!!! dunno if Thais Ridgebacks are the same with what you are looking for but you can check out this thread...

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread
Here is another link to the Rhodesian Ridgebacks you are looking for...

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

Both posted puppies for sale some time ago but you can call them to ask if they are still breeding... Good Luck!!!Wink

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

(This post was edited by ladee_m on Jun 3, 2004, 7:47 PM)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 3, 2004, 8:28 PM

Post #3 of 18 (2267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ACJ, surchinmy] Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

There is a member of ours here owns a pair of beautiful Rhodesian Ridgebacks but unfortunately they are still thinking to breed or not to breed even the dog is of good structure and conformation to the breed standard. I think he is the best person you can talk to regarding of Rhodesian Ridgebacks Wink

SK (The Malaysian Guru of Rhodesian Ridgebacks), over to you friend....

cheers,
minglmy

ACJ
Novice

Jun 3, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #4 of 18 (2261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your information, I will try to contact them

well thank again....

ACJ
Novice

Jun 3, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #5 of 18 (2260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi minglmy,

Thank for your post, I really can't get U , Who is that SK guru of Rhodesian Rigeback ?

How to contact ?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 3, 2004, 10:03 PM

Post #6 of 18 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ACJ, minglmy] Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

I am afraid Minglmy over exaggerates ... not guru of anything or of any kind ...

We have Rhodesian Ridgebacks ... and depending on what you wish to know, we may be able to answer your queries.

If you are thinking of buying RRs ... then I am afraid we cannot help you much ... We may be planning a litter end of the year but that however is subject to many things ... particularly whether we can find enough good homes first ... if we cannot find enough good homes then no breeding will take place.

Cheers Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 3, 2004, 10:22 PM

Post #7 of 18 (2256 views)
Shortcut

SK is Surchinmy.... Smile

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 3, 2004, 10:29 PM

Post #8 of 18 (2255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Looking For Rhodesian Ridgebacks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SK,

Well, in Malaysia I think you are one of those who have good enuf knowledge on RRs. Smile anyway, hope that more people will get to know more abt RR and then someday at the end of this year you'll be able to breed ur 2 for once at the very least.

cheers,
minglmy

ACJ
Novice

Jun 4, 2004, 6:15 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

nice to know you. It seem that this breed is a very rare,

With so much good point about this breed still not popular in Malaysia

Hope you will find enough good home for your RR puppy , but don't know if I'm good enough to have at least 1 by the year end.

would like to learn more how to rear a RR ?

thank

ACJ
Novice

Jun 4, 2004, 6:22 AM

Post #10 of 18 (2249 views)
Shortcut

Thank minglmy

Hope Malaysian will come to know this RR...soon

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2004, 7:10 AM

Post #11 of 18 (2246 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Breed the dogs? ... Hope so ... Maybe ... Not sure ... Dunno ... these are all thoughts running through our heads at the moment ... Tongue ...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2004, 9:50 AM

Post #12 of 18 (2238 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

I guess the best way to learn how to rear a RR is to visit good Rhodesian Ridgeback websites ... Here are some links that will take you to most of the best RR sites in the World ...

/starridge_rr/links.html

www.rhodesian-ridgeback.net/

mitglied.lycos.de/Karoskloof/

Since these links will tell you all you need to know about the rearing of RR, perhaps I can tell you a little of what we have learnt about Rhodesian Ridgebacks ...

WHAT RIDGEBACKS ARE NOT:

(A) RRs are generally not recommended for first-time owners

RRs are large dogs and very strong. They can be territorial. They require firm but fair handling and training. You cannot bully a RR into obeying you. You need to earn a RR's respect.

A RR's natural standoff-ish manner can also make it a difficult dog for a first-timer.

Usually, new dog owners expect their dogs to be warm & affectionate, like Labradors & Golden Retrievers ... Kinda like having Lassie around all the time.

But a RR is simply just not that kind of dog. A RR can quite happily spend hours doing its own thing.

But that is not to say that a RR is not affectionate or loving ... RRs can be VERY affectionate & loving, just that a RR is affectionate & loving when it wishes to be ... Tongue

(B) RRs are NOT difficult to train

RRs are not difficult to train ... But don't expect to train a RR like you would a Labrador, GSD or Doberman ...

As tracking dogs, RRs often worked in packs and away from their owners ... so RRs were bred to think independantly and to use their own initiative.

RRs are also very intelligent.

When you combine all that intelligence and independant mind-set with the characteristics of a hound ... you have a breed that requires quite different training methods ...

RRs do not appreciate adversive handling and they do not appreciate repetitive or monotonous training either.

With some breeds, you say, "Jump" and the dog will go, "How high?" ... With a Ridgeback, when you say, "Jump" ... the Ridgeback will ask, "Why must jump?" ... and you'd better have a good answer ... Tongue ...

To effectively train a RR, the owner has to use imagination and innovation. But we have discovered that the best way to train a Ridgeback is to live with your RR everyday ... and let the RR train you ... Smile

(C) RRs are NOT outdoor dogs.

Strangely for a hunting & tracking breed ... the RR is not a dog you can leave outside your house, even if its in a kennel. A Ridgeback left outside is going to be a very miserable Ridgeback.

RRs love their families, and by their very nature ... they are happiest when they are living together with their owner & family ... They are particularly happy when allowed into the kitchen ... Laugh ...

WHAT RIDGEBACKS ARE:

(A) RRs are intensely loyal

You do not own a RR ... You earn a RR's respect. And once you have earned that respect, the RR is an intensely loyal friend. A RR is very much a one person dog. RRs are not fickle ... when the love - they love for life.

(B) RRs are intensely family oriented

And once you have earned your RR's respect, your RR will not only be faithful & loyal to you, but also to your family ... this is a particularly wonderful trait of the RR. The originators of the breed bred RR not just as hunters and trackers, but also to guard their families in the African outback.

And in well bred-lines, this loyalty to family remains intact & instinctive. And for such a large dog, they are incredibly gentle with babies & children.

(C) RRs are funny dogs

RRs have a sense of humour you won't believe, especially if the joke is on you. It is not strange for a RR hide one shoe, and then wait and watch while you look for the missing shoe. Maybe the original breeders of RRs were also comedians Tongue.

Generally what I will say is this:

If you want a cuddly & warm dog - get a Labrador.

If you want a dog that is easy to train - get a gundog or a pastoral dog.

If you want a dog to drive you up the wall ... get a Beagle (... joking Tongue) ...

But if you wish to have a dog with personality as complexed as your own ... if you wish to find a dog to grow with ... then maybe the Rhodesian Ridgeback is your kind of dog.

A Ridgeback is like a bottle of good red wine ... wholesome & full-bodied ... it needs time ... it needs respect ... it's flavour is refined, almost an aquired taste ... but once savoured, the flavour remains long after the bottle is empty, and you will never ever forget ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jun 4, 2004, 10:01 AM)

ACJ
Novice

Jun 4, 2004, 5:06 PM

Post #13 of 18 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Hello again

Many thank Sly for your advice, What to do ? I have fell in love with RR at 1st. sight,

So I might not had a dog b4 but itis a good challenge, , but anyawy I must have that Rhodesian Rigeback 1st.

see you.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 4, 2004, 6:08 PM

Post #14 of 18 (2226 views)
Shortcut

Personally I think they are a wonderful lovely breed but unfortunately due to their size and exercise require therefore, not a lot of people can afford to take care of them.

Hope you'll get one of your RR sometime soon though !

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 4, 2004, 6:13 PM

Post #15 of 18 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Hi SK,

Yup...can understand your concern. I guess this is whats on most of the responsible breeder's mind before they breed and being the litter coming from a BIG dog is definitely not easy.

Well said for the below :

"A Ridgeback is like a bottle of good red wine ... wholesome & full-bodied ... it needs time ... it needs respect ... it's flavour is refined, almost an aquired taste ... but once savoured, the flavour remains long after the bottle is empty, and you will never ever forget ... "

cheers,
minglmy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2004, 6:40 PM

Post #16 of 18 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Hope you took the time to check out the websites ... Ridgebacks come in many types ... red wheaten ... liver ... with and without blackmask ... Have a look and see what you like ... A Ridgeback is not quite the dog you take home without some preperation.

If you are quite sure that a Ridgeback is good for you ... maybe I can have a little more information:

(a) Where did you see your first RR?

(b) Why do you like the breed & think its the dog for you?

(c) Do you live in an apartment/terrace/bungalow?

(d) Who will be the primary care-taker for your RR? ... Cleaning/feeding/exercice etc ...

(e) Where will the RR live & sleep? Indoor/outdoor ... Where do you expect the RR to spend most of its time?

(f) Is the RR expected to be alone for long hours in a day? If so, where will the RR be kept while there is no one at home?

Cheers Smile

ACJ
Novice

Jun 5, 2004, 4:42 AM

Post #17 of 18 (2212 views)
Shortcut

(a) Where did you see your first RR?

No . not a real RR , only pic & video on the internet.

(b) Why do you like the breed & think its the dog for you?
RR is handsome , smart and seem easy to take care and also could be a good guard dog.

(c) Do you live in an apartment/terrace/bungalow?

I live in an END LOT terrace house with a compount of about 900 sq. ft.

(d) Who will be the primary care-taker for your RR? ... Cleaning/feeding/exercice etc ...

I will do all that myself

(e) Where will the RR live & sleep? Indoor/outdoor ... Where do you expect the RR to spend most of its time?
Outside , I will make a dog house as my house got renovated by next month.

(f) Is the RR expected to be alone for long hours in a day? If so, where will the RR be kept while there is no one at home?
Outside , but in my compount so he can run about, guarding my house.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 5, 2004, 11:16 AM

Post #18 of 18 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Wish you all the best ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my