Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
My dog's hind leg are shredding.... :(

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 9:13 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1041 views)
Shortcut
My dog's hind leg are shredding.... :( Can't Post

I have an Aust Silky Terrier, and recently, i noticed that the fur on both of her hind legs are shredding tremendously, nearly going bald!!! What could have resulted in this? food? shampoo? any idea?

Tbear
Novice

Jan 7, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] My dog's hind leg are shredding.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jaz,

I saw your posting with an 'important' logo and it caught my eye straight away. :) hehe. Seen too many of them in my MS Outlook.

Anyway, I am not a pro in this compare to computers or cars. But these problems usually cause by Fleas, sand/salt, soap that are not properly washed away.... not food i suppose, because if it it food, the whole body will shred :) heheh

Very easy to 'repair' this problem. I always use the 'cheap' way which is not always the better way. Get some :

1) Yellow Sulfur (Not poison, those used in camping to keep away snakes)

2) Coconut oil

Mixed sulfer with coconut oil. The coconut oil is just to make the sulfer creamy. Not to watery something like a cake dough will do. Then apply it to your dog's legs. try not to let her lick them. Not harmful but you won't like those sulfur to stick on you when she licks you.

After a few days it will be back to normal. I once healed a dog who had 'kudis' all over the body and was practically bald !! :) hehe.. same method..

Hope it will work. But at the other hand. Maybe you would like to get some special medicine from the vet.

------------------------------------------------

Dogs are MEN's best friend... hmm.. We guys and dogs, have some male bonding... Wink hehe

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 9:46 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tbear] My dog's hind leg are shredding.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the advise.. this is very interesting. I'll pay the vet a visit this weekend and say what they say, also, I am having problem in putting weight for my dog. Ideally, she should be about 4-5kg and I've just weight her yesterday and she was only at 3kg :( kinda sad....

Tbear
Novice

Jan 7, 2003, 9:55 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1017 views)
Shortcut

No problem. This was what i did for my dogs as an experience anyway.. On top of that, I also bath the bald parts with the 999 soap which is made for HUMAN skin problems. They worked for my mongrels...

My dogs leaving in the wild and home at the same time is very hard to take care of. I had a dog who got his back scratch deeply by a torn and was bleeding. Thought that is was ok but after a few days, I found out that the cut was getting deeper and there were maggots in there. I had to catch them out using forceps and pour petrol to kill the maggots and to heal the wounds faster. I guess is very painful for him. But the wound was healed quickly and after I patched up with sulfur, the hair grew back and he was ok again. heehhe..

Opps, I never bother about my dogs' weight. Hmm.. i gues they are ok :) hehhe.

Dogs are MEN's best friend... hmm.. We guys and dogs, have some male bonding... Wink hehe

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 8:31 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Wah lau!!! that sounds so.... eekkyy... but i guess we'll do what ever we can to save our dogs! I guess you ought to be more caution with the serounding of the compound... It must be really painful for your dog to go through that sort of experience...

Tbear
Novice

Jan 8, 2003, 7:11 AM

Post #6 of 9 (999 views)
Shortcut

Yeah... Dogs are really like our best friend. But the surrounding of the farm is so unpredictable. Sometimes things just happens to them... sigh..

Anyway, how's jaz's hind legs doing? Hope she is better now.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 8, 2003, 4:46 PM

Post #7 of 9 (993 views)
Shortcut

Hi there! so nice of you to still remember i had a problem with jaz's hind leg... i've been like checking on her every single day and i 'think' it's growing.. must be one of the season... i'll try to find time to send her to the vet this weekend and check it out. You might want to put sulfur around the 'pagar' dangerouse you know.. snakes....

Tbear
Novice

Jan 9, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #8 of 9 (986 views)
Shortcut

aah... maybe it is a Aust Silky thing.. I am not sure about them. Maybe they shred their hair to grow nicer long ones :)

Like how people shave baby's hair to hepl them grow more and faster... heheh not sure.. just my "2 cents... "

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 10, 2003, 6:36 PM

Post #9 of 9 (973 views)
Shortcut

I truely hope so!! the most important for silky i would say is thier structure and coat....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my