Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
CRATE trainig

bosco
Novice

Jan 2, 2003, 6:26 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1111 views)
Shortcut
CRATE trainig Can't Post

Hi everyone, We have a 8 week old GSD "BOSCO" that we got last week at 7 weeks old,,,"No He was Not A X-mas Gift" he was our choice and we are very happy to have himWinkSmileSmile

Our fisrt Night was a living HELLMadMad,,he cried and whined all night,,,i swear i thought someone was murdering him..LOL. The next day we got him a crate which is now in our bed room,,second night was much easierSmile

I find the crate does comfort him and does help for the Housetraining. We only put Bosco in his crate at night for sleep, when we cannot supervise him "eating supper,cooking, cleaning....or when we just need a break form his nipping and bitting or rampant behavior...

but we try to keep him as much as possible with us,,usually he will sleep on his pillow in living room.

HOWEVER!!! when we do put him in his crate for time out or because we cannot supervise he still pull a FIT,,cries and cries and cries,,,screams, howls..you name it he does it. We know it's probably because he want to be with us and we ignore his cries as much as possible "not to give in"

But my question is ...how long can this crying and fit behavior last....most internet site make it seem like it will last only a week??? so i'm wondering if are using our crate properly?? should we put him in more often so he get used to it more,,,,,OR is it normal that he will still FIT and cry for the next ferw months. He has gotten better during his first week,,depending on his days....

Anyone got any CRATe Training experiences??Laugh

Thanx

Bosco's DAD

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jan 2, 2003, 5:45 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bosco] CRATE trainig [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah... It happens the same to JOJO. But don't worry... they will only cry for 3-4 days... may be not to manja your pup too much.. ignore their crying or screaming or whatever.. let your pup know that u are the dominant..after few days then it should be O.K.Wink

Probably you can feed him each times in his crate, then slowly he will likes to his crate.. put a chewing toy inside to stimulate the mind.Smile
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

bosco
Novice

Jan 2, 2003, 6:57 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] CRATE trainig [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx for your response...we do feed him in his crate and he always has a toy,his stuffed bear. we have had bosco for 11 days now,,but he still whines and cries when we put him in his crate if we are not in the same room...basically if it's not bedtimeCrazy

How often does your dog go in the crate in a single day and how often will he stay there??

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1094 views)
Shortcut

hi Bosco,

Have u tried to crate him outside of the house? For my case, Rex (a labby) does not like to be crated in the room since young. He enjoys the fresh air , I suppose.. Smile. Rex is crated from 8 a.m - 7 p.m.

You could turn on the radio while you are not in the room. Have u turned on the air-cond / fan etc .?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

bosco
Novice

Jan 2, 2003, 8:14 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] CRATE trainig [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now, it's -20C outsideBlush, we would not even think of leaving him outside, it's hard enough to get him out to pee and poo in the cold weather. We were both fortunate to be home for two weeks holiday but we are worried how he will react once expected to be in the crate from 7am to 6 pm. We are trying to get him to spend some time during the day till his fit passes over. But thanks for the effortSmile

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 8:37 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1086 views)
Shortcut

hi Bosco,

Oh.. forgotten that u r actually from Canada. Blush

Sorry about that..

Rex has been crated from 7 - 6 p.m since 12 months old..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

bosco
Novice

Jan 3, 2003, 11:09 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] CRATE trainig [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushOur mistake we have been writting in a few different sections. We took him for his first walk last night, before that the roads were a pure sheet of ice (ICE STORM), it was not only dangerous for us but especially bosco who slips and slides and could potentially hurt his hips. As for the crate training he is behaving more and therefor less need for time out. I imagine that the first few days will be rough for him, he won't sense us in the house and will be very lonely but just like his first nights in this house with strangers and new sights he will adjust. It's just so heart wrenching to hear him.

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jan 3, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1060 views)
Shortcut

Hi, JOJO will put in the crate from 10pm to 8amTongue She didn't make much noise after 4-5 days get used in our house. His crate can see what's happening around the house, probably this won't make her too lonely.

After all the replies here, I got one more idea for u.. normally right after their meal and release motion, they won't make much noise.. I read some book it says heavy meal will reduce physical activities... eerr.. just try not too heavy otherwise overweight!Tongue
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2003, 6:09 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1056 views)
Shortcut

hi,

My mistake (again!?!) in my previous posting.. should be 12 weeks instead of 12 months. Blush

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my