Fast Eating

matildajr
New User

Dec 31, 2002, 7:36 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Fast Eating Can't Post

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so not really sure if this is the right place to post this question. Oh well, here goes ...

We adopted a mix breed (boxer, lab, pit, ???) from the local shelter and she is a VERY fast eater. It frightens me because a friend of mine just had her baby operated on for bloat. Ginger is about 6 months old and her fast eating has even effected out other slow eating dog. Well, he used to be a slow eater until she came along Tongue

She, like many other pups I've read about on the forum, eats her poop too. I follow her around with a plastic bag in the yard but sometimes she pulls a fast one and I can't get to her in time. We've tried adding meat tenderizer to her food but that just doesn't work for her.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Matildajr

Khoobg
Webmaster / Moderator

Dec 31, 2002, 8:04 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matildajr] Fast Eating [In reply to] Can't Post

HI,

Do you use elevated feeder for your dog. If you elevate her feeding bowl, there is less tendency that she will gulp her food and may eat slower. If you place her food on the floor, then she may continue to gulp her food and may end up having a bloat.

The presence of your other dog may also be the other reason that she is eating fast. Being protective of her food, she will try to finish them ASAP. You may want to try to feed her without the presence of other dogs to see if she will eat slower.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

cdmoo
ALPHA

Dec 31, 2002, 9:09 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matildajr] Fast Eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Are u giving him kibbles or canned food or home cooked ? Anyway, whatever the case, make sure u serve them in small chunks and put pebble stones on the food. The pebble stones which place on top of the food will prevent the dog from eating too fast.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 8:47 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Fast Eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it true that dogs tend to eat can food faster compare to palates?

I use to give my dog can food with some rice, but notice that she'll eat really fast and dirty up her whole face. So we've stop feeding her with that and switch to dog palates instead, would this be enough?

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2003, 4:12 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Fast Eating [In reply to] Can't Post

luckey eats dog kibble slowest, then canned food, and the fastest of all... MEAT! If she has a pork bone with meat on or something, she can get really quite possessive over it. But with the processed foods, she couldnt care less if you take it away, play with it while shes eating etc...

matildajr
New User

Jan 3, 2003, 9:57 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Fast Eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I've been elevating her food lately and it seems to have help quite a bit. Right now the two dogs are eating in separate rooms with a doggie gate in the doorway. I'll try to feed her in the garage and see if that helps. Right now she is eating a puppy kibble, Nutro for large breed puppies, with tomato juice (to keep the grass nice and green), Lipiderm liquid and a bit of warm water. I have noticed that when the food is wet she doesn't eat as fast and chokes far less.

Thanks to everyone for all your responses!

Matildajr

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my