Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
my pup got anorexia??

maxine
Dog Kichi

May 18, 2004, 5:08 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1939 views)
Shortcut
my pup got anorexia?? Can't Post

i'm very very worried about my lil pup maxine cuz she have not been having any appetite for almost a month now.Frown

last time when we were getting her food she would get all excited and wait beside the stairs for me to bring her food to her but now she just don't seem to care. Unsure

we've consulted a vet and even changed her food brand but nothing seems to work...she just don't like to eat. i've even changed her food bowl to see if her previous bowl was too small for her but nothing helped.

now we have to pujuk her to eat every meal, sometimes feeding her bit by bit using our hands. she'll sniff around and walk away most of the time. if not she'll just roll over to let us scratch her tummy for her. is she too spoiled and want us to pujuk her b4 she eats??

she doesn't have any appetite for her dog food but she's always chasing after us for our food like fruits and even ribena. we used to give her some fruits last time but now tat she's refusing to eat her food we've stopped giving her any fruits also.

and she vomits quite often...my dad says it's cuz she's running around too much but i'm not quite sure about it, the vet says she's ok when i bring her over. so wat exactly is wrong with her?

my lil pup is seriously underfed now and i'm running out of ideas cuz even the vet dunno wat's wrong with her. can any1 help???
¦¦ § ± î © k s & s ± ø ñ ê § ¦¦
= m î g h ± b ® è á k m ¥ b ø n è§ =
« « b ù ± w ò ® d § ç ª ñ § h ã ± T ê r ± h Ê § ô ù | » »

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 18, 2004, 7:18 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maxine] my pup got anorexia?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

When a dog does not eat ... the first thing to do is get the dog to a vet for a checkup and make sure all is well ... Take a sample of fresh vomit with you ... for the vet to examine ...

Assuming that your dog is well ... you can consider the following:

(a) Accept that many small breeds are picky eaters anyway ... And often changing brands does not make all that much difference.

(b) Feeding your dog by hand ... can make the situation worse ... the more you try and pujuk, the more picky the dog becomes.

(c) Consider adding some variety to her meals ... consider adding fresh food to her kibble ... (use the search function & check the threads on fresh foods & BARF) ...

For example:

If you dog likes fruit, mash some fruit and mix well with the kibble ... You can also add some honey, or some yoghurt or grated hard cheese ... to her meals ... experiment, and spice up the food ... Or get some sardine in oil or water, and mix a little (just a little in).

Alternatively, boil some beef, chicken meat, giblets etc etc ... (no salt or seasoning, just in a little water) ... and mix the meat & gravy into the kibble ... That should be tempting ...

The pet shop in Taman Sri Hartamas, sell a range of wet foods ... you can add some of that to each kibble meal ... dogs seem to love that ... And this version of wet food (made from human grade ingredients, with carrots) seems better & more fresh than the usual canned food ...

Basically treat your dog as you would yourself ... and you will be surprised how easy it can be to get a dog to eat ...

Just let you imagination go ... and come up with your own methods & recipies ... I mean, wouldn't you get bored if you had to eat kibble every meal every day ... Tongue ...

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 20, 2004, 6:26 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

The thing you should watch out for is the stool of your dog is it ok or watery. Got running nose? Because your dog always vomit is a bad symptom. I actually advice you to take your dog to the vet and check for distemper. My shihtzu died after this type of symptoms. My dog doesn't want to eat for 1 month before I get to know she gotten distemper. Did you bring your dog out of the house for a walk? How old is your pup?

If your dog is fine then maybe you want to try to control your dog. Don't just give what your dog want. This is bad for you. If your dog know that she can get what she want the problem will come. My silky used to have this problem and I need to change like 10 types of dog food for her. Now my silky doesn't want to eat I will just take away the food. Sometimes she will go hungry for 3 days before eating.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

maxine
Dog Kichi

May 21, 2004, 5:08 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] my pup got anorexia?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello!

thanks for ur advice, i'll try n c if it works =)

my pup's sitting beside me now...the poor lil thing looks so skinny n frail..i'll keep ya updated if there's any improvement

maxine
Dog Kichi

May 21, 2004, 5:18 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] my pup got anorexia?? [In reply to] Can't Post

she sneezes some times, is tat counted as running nose?? i've already brought her for her vaccination will she still get infected by distemper??

the vet just said tat my pup's breathing is a bit raspy but everything's ok with her.

i've only let her walk on a leash outside my house at the pavement where i park my car, she's 6 months old now.

starve her for 3 days???did ur silky fall sick??

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 21, 2004, 6:43 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm ... I think ... if your dog is only 6 months old ... and has not been eating properly for one month ... vomits and is skinny ... then I think - I have to agree with Kitconnie and suggest that you take your pup urgently to another vet for a second opinion ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on May 21, 2004, 6:44 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 21, 2004, 6:48 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] my pup got anorexia?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been wondering about maxine's post ... and I think you are right ... something doesn't sound right and the pup should be taken to another vet for a second opinion ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my