Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!!

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 17, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #1 of 14 (5054 views)
Shortcut
Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! Can't Post

Unsure Hi, i have 4 dogs, 1 shih tzu, 2 boxers and 1 labrador.

Of all the dogs only my boxers fight with each other. They are only a year apart in age and were best buddies when Rexx was 1 yrs old and Toby a few months old, they would sleep with each other and do stuff together. When Toby reached 2 yrs he started humping Rexx and vice versa. Rexx would just give a loud growl and Toby would jump off. One day Toby started a fight with Rexx and both were bloody from it, no big wounds, just small bite marks and scratchers. I quickly read a few dog books and it was suggested I should neuter one of them.

We neutered Toby, even the vet adviced us to neuter one of the boxers. We thought all the fighting was over but after Toby recovered from the operation they started fighting again. I'm now clueless! We separate the boxers now, Rexx will roam the whole garden during the day and Toby will roam at night. I feel bad for having to lock one up.

I love my dogs and do not want to give them away, the most dominant dog is actually the shih tzu but they avoid him, even when the shih tzu bites the boxers they actually run the opposite direction. My labrador is a spayed female and she thinks she's a male.

What can I do? Is there anyone out there with a similar problem? Rexx is now 5 yrs old and Toby is 4 yrs old.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

PSD
ALPHA

May 17, 2004, 10:29 PM

Post #2 of 14 (5050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear crazymouse,

I dare say that most vets will advise u to neuter a dog when it comes to dog fights. For me that is a thing of the past and an advised filled with dusts. Nevertheless a pet isnt bad being neutered as well but I'm at the point of neutering or spaying as the miracle cure of dog fights are simply not true.

From your descriptions, I can gather it is all rank in the pack issue. Your SZ is the higher ranking dog in your house while the 2 boxers are challenging each other for their following ranks in the pack. For a dog, either one of them gives in totally in submission to the other or the fights will go on until one does gives in. SO u either continue letting one out at the time or u let them settle their rank issue the doggie way. I would propose u be there when they both are together and not leave them alone but do let them decide who is stronger too as a dog....something sometimes human find it hard to understand.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 18, 2004, 12:15 AM

Post #3 of 14 (5044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, that's useful info to me. Did you experience the same problem?

I've tried putting them together, my dad and I supervise them but there seem to be no improvement. They actually go for each other's neck or head and saliva will be flying everywhere. And there's always blood involved. They're actually very gental dogs, none of them has ever bitten me or anyone.

They even try to bite each other through metal fences. We divided the house compound with a metal fence so each dog can have his space but the fighting just keeps going on and on. We've run out of ideas....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

PSD
ALPHA

May 18, 2004, 12:30 AM

Post #4 of 14 (5042 views)
Shortcut

yups. Been there done tht. Really nothing u can do. If that is too violent for u then best to keep them apart. Seams they see themselves as equals to each other and apprently the rank issue isnt solved yet. Happens sometimes.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

boon
Doggyman

May 18, 2004, 4:54 PM

Post #5 of 14 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

i agreed with PSD, let nature take it course.......the pack and ranking issue sometime sometime we have to just let them settle among themselves the doggy way.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 19, 2004, 3:15 AM

Post #6 of 14 (5011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I'll just keep on trying. Hopefully they willy be peaceful one day......

meidy
Novice

Jul 19, 2004, 11:16 AM

Post #7 of 14 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Hallo,

you have a serious problem there! There is probably many that YOU do wrong in the way YOU behave toward the dogs and within your "family pack". The dogs just give you the answer for all that you tought them

Get more details here:

http://www.doggiesparadise.com/rivalry.shtml

http://www.doggiesparadise.com/owner.shtml
Regards Angie
Behaviorist and Health Practitioner

nutritional supplement for dogs skin disorders

dogs scabies rashes

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 19, 2004, 5:08 PM

Post #8 of 14 (4647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meidy] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Angie, I just finished reading it, was helpful....

My dad is the alpha, next is me and my older shih tzu, the boxers will not try their dominance on either 3 of us but they do it on themselves.... This fighting started when the boxer reached the ages of 2 and 3 yrs. I dare not let them fight it off coz when they do fight, they tear each other apart, sometimes it is bloody and I have to care for the wounds.... so now I can't do anything but separate them.... while they fight, even if I throw a bucket of cold water on them or spray with the hose, they will not let go of each other.... The funny thing is, we treated the older one just like it was stated in the website, feed him 1st, play with him 1st and give everything 1st... we let them growl at each other too..... the fighting only started when the younger one mounted the older one.... Now, whenever they see each other without leashes or in a pen, they will fight, even through bars of a gate....

meidy
Novice

Jul 21, 2004, 10:31 AM

Post #9 of 14 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Hallo,

I spoke about the pecking order that the dogs create! Not about one that you wish. Do your dogs know that your dad is alpha???

Which one among the dogs is the leading dog? This has nothing to do with size or age.
Regards Angie
Behaviorist and Health Practitioner

nutritional supplement for dogs skin disorders

dogs scabies rashes

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2004, 6:32 PM

Post #10 of 14 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meidy] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dogs all know that my dad's the alpha, they will listen to him attentively, never jumped on him before and when my dad scolds them, they will listen and obey... So when they fight, they will stop a while when my dad interfers...

Theleading dog is my shih tzu, all my other dogs dare not touch him and when they accidently come into my shih tzu's path, my shih tzu will bark and bite them, the other dogs will just let him bite and dare not bite back.....

The funny thing is only the boxers fight among each other when they are in the same area, if I pen one up, no fighting occur, even if they see each other through the bars.... They are almost the same age so I'm guessing they might be fighting for dominance over each other..... the funny thong also is one of the boxer is neutered......

yeete
Novice

Jul 23, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #11 of 14 (4572 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

I seem to have to same problem with you...but I have no answers. My problem is I have 2 female huskies. They were very close together. Then they gave birth, they still seem to get along fine until when the puppies are about 1 year old, the two mothers started to fight. Like yours, they fight until they bleed and would continue even when we hose them. Like you, we have been seperating them each with their offsprings (1 each). So we let go each group at certain intervals. The huskies are very very friendly dogs, the only problem is their rivalry. I hope I can get an answer from your forum too.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 24, 2004, 6:23 AM

Post #12 of 14 (4567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeete] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi... you have huskies! I love huskies... they look so wolfish hehehe.... a pity... my boxers sound just like yours.... but mine are males..... It's quite heartbreaking to see such good firneds become enemies after an incident... my boxers were like brother, slept together, palyed together.... then one day everything turned upside down... I'm still waiting for someone to give me an answer coz hosing, making loud sounds and neutering doesn't work for me.... only separating them helps...... one boxer has the day shift while the other takes over at night....

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2004, 6:51 PM

Post #13 of 14 (4533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeete] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have very beautiful husky. Are you selling them?

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

yeete
Novice

Jul 30, 2004, 7:59 PM

Post #14 of 14 (4478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Need help! My dogs fight!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope not selling my huskies. Was trying to sell them abt 2 years ago though.Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my