Volunteers WANTED

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 14, 2004, 5:15 AM

Post #1 of 61 (5266 views)
Shortcut
Volunteers WANTED Can't Post

Just an hour of your time every 2 weeks over the course of 2-3 months. And some spare change....

Have an A4 poster that has 6 very adorable dogs that need homes. These animals are now at PAWS. It is very sad to see the dogs and cats there, but we can help find them homes by just volunteering a bit of our time.

I need some leaflets go out to suburbs like Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Cheras, Bandar Utama and Bangsar. Perhaps will consider other surrounding areas too. It will essentially involve finding out where are the best community notice boards are in that suburb, printing out a copy of a poster which I will send to you in softcopy, and posting the leaflet to that notice board.
I know that in Bangsar, the TMC supermarket and Post Office board is well visited. It will cost about RM 2.00 –5.00 for a week of board space. I can get that done easily, but unfortunately I am not familiar with any other area.

Let me know if you can help. Does not cost that much and it is something tangible.

I will also need volunteers who would like to help prepare these posters. It takes about half day of your time to do a single poster. You will need a digital camera, a software like PhotoImpact, MS PowerPoint and a flare for writing. A few hours at PAWS selecting the dogs/cats, noting their good traits and taking a nice photo. Then just putting words and picture together in a template. Pretty easy and lots of fun.

If you are interested in helping, please do write to me or post your response to this message:
cynhor@yahoo.com

May
Old Hand

May 14, 2004, 10:28 PM

Post #2 of 61 (5242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

For a start, why not try putting up the poster here as on and off there are people looking for dog for adoption Smile.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 14, 2004, 10:56 PM

Post #3 of 61 (5238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your suggestion. I will however need to track where the posters go and be able to update them when necessary (ie, crossing out the dogs which have been adopted out). It will also be a means to target suburbs, hence I will need to know where they are posted and gauge success rate.
There are suburbs that we will avoid, like Shah Alam where it is very difficult to obtain dog licenses.
I understand that leaving it on this discussion board will draw a lot of views and possibly have a few actually posted on community boards. Am just taking a different approach to find a few dependable volunteers.

It also helps if I know who is helping out with this effort.

dodo888
Dog Kichi

May 14, 2004, 11:10 PM

Post #4 of 61 (5234 views)
Shortcut

hi cynhor,

appreciate ur good initiative, keep up the great work!

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 17, 2004, 5:50 PM

Post #5 of 61 (5202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dodo888] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks ppl. I have taken note of mails requesting to see the posters. Pls do let me know if you have put any up.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 17, 2004, 6:17 PM

Post #6 of 61 (5200 views)
Shortcut

Here is the file
Attachments: PAWS_week1.ppt (244 KB)

dodo888
Dog Kichi

May 18, 2004, 2:32 AM

Post #7 of 61 (5187 views)
Shortcut

HI cynhor,

great work, pls keep it up.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 25, 2004, 6:59 PM

Post #8 of 61 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Week 2 Puppies. Do have a look and help us post them up.
Attachments: PAWS_week2.ppt (165 KB)

dodo888
Dog Kichi

May 26, 2004, 10:50 PM

Post #9 of 61 (5100 views)
Shortcut

Hi cynhor,

does Paws has a website? me and a few of the volunteers would like to help out ur efforts. i can be contacted nexlevelconsult@hotmail.com

thanks.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 26, 2004, 11:33 PM

Post #10 of 61 (5090 views)
Shortcut

Yes. PAWS does have a website.
www.pawsmalaysia.com/
It has been up for a while and offers only information. I am at PAWS a few times a week and can get more info about the site for you, ie contact person, webmaster.

I believe that it can be extended to included other features like adoption pages, events, news, information on cash donations and perhaps even a link up to a financial institution like Maybank, but as it is, the site is a very good effort for straightforward infomation pages.

Will get back to you again.

dodo888
Dog Kichi

May 26, 2004, 11:43 PM

Post #11 of 61 (5088 views)
Shortcut

hi cynhor,

ya the website can be better like u said. put some 'life' into the website would be a good idea. i m sure u know what is the better way of improving the website and i believe it would draw more traffic. i would like to pay for the hosting of a improve website. maybe we should do some work on it.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 27, 2004, 12:45 AM

Post #12 of 61 (5086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Volunteers WANTED - CLEANING [In reply to] Can't Post

Wondering if anyone would like to help clean the cages at PAWS. I started on getting rid of moss and all that slimy yucky stuff with a good scrub, but the place is HUGE. Just a bit at a time with a few more hands and I think we can make it better for the dogs. You will need to bring your own heavy duty broom stick, scrubbing brush, soap (maybe even bleach) and gloves (believe me, you will need it).

You must not be afraid of dogs as we will be in the main compound and some of these fellas on four legs just want to play. If things are good, we might even clean the strays’ compound.

Let me know if you can help and we can arrange a day and time.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 28, 2004, 4:21 AM

Post #13 of 61 (5070 views)
Shortcut

I found out that the website was put together by a volunteer who has since left the country. The folks at PAWS do not have her contact details and are not Internet savy enough to know who is hosting the site. No author's comments on the page source either.

There is a volunteer register there but they cannot find the book today. Perhaps tomorrow or the weekend when Charles is around to help with the digging.

If there are major changes to be made, I can only propose that we copy the site and host it elsewhere, then update the x-ref links from search engines. Perhaps we have to sit this one out.

BTW, PAWS do need a lorry. Am trying to get people together to do a fund raiser. Maybe start by finding out if any of the lorry manufacturers might be willing to part with a vehicle or give a large discount. Let me know if you can help.

phoenix
K9 Kaki

May 28, 2004, 9:12 PM

Post #14 of 61 (5057 views)
Shortcut

Hi!

I would like to help out if my weekends are free. Just sent you an email. Smile

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

(This post was edited by phoenix on May 28, 2004, 9:13 PM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2004, 7:03 PM

Post #15 of 61 (5015 views)
Shortcut
DOG ENCLOSURE AND OPEN GROUND [In reply to] Can't Post

Attached a file with list of things done and to do at PAWS. Started this so that enyone can just come in and move to the next thing to do. Hope it helps.
Attachments: PAWS Cleaning activities - DOGS.doc (36.0 KB)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2004, 5:25 AM

Post #16 of 61 (4898 views)
Shortcut

A BIG THANK YOU to a group of wonderful people who turned up at PAWS with water jet sprays and plenty of bleach, rolled up trousers and sleeves. You were absolutely great!!!!. The strays compound was spotless and I am sure that those poor dogs appreciate having somewhere to sleep that is not slimey and full of moss. The work to rid the place of bacteria, viruses, ticks, fleas and other horrible things is so hard yet so important to maintain a healthy environment for the dogs.

A BIG THANK YOU to the two students from Damansara School (at Taman Tun Ismail) who came in as part of their Moral Studies community work project. They helped clean the puppy cages and gave them lots of cuddles and TLC. It was hard work with only a small sponge and a bucket of water. Well done!!!

Volunteers@Work

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Jun 11, 2004, 6:24 PM

Post #17 of 61 (4884 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cynhor,

Introduce myself: I'm gillian, a friend of Jackie. Jackie do offer me to manage the webside of PAWS and since i'm can online everyday to check everything. Problem is i'm duno how to manage a webside, therefore Jackie said want to introduce me to you and she mentioned that u r an excellent volunteers for PAWS and excellent in programming. I dont mind to spend time with u to learning thing from you (although i know nothing, hehehehTongue)BUT i would happy to have u as my "si fu"! i also love dog v much, and i also enjoy to do anything for DOGGIES. I hope you will accept me as ur "tu di"

I will be going to PAWS this sunday noon with my husband too. I will help up to do the cleaning and do watever i can lah. So, i hope i can meet you tat day....

CYA, Nice to meet you!!Cool

Gillian

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2004, 1:51 AM

Post #18 of 61 (4833 views)
Shortcut

Week 3 Dogs. Do have a look and help us post them up.
Appreciate the help.

Many Thanks to the Buddhist societies around KL and PJ for putting up our posters. We had one adoption on Sunday.
Attachments: PAWS_week3_dogs.ppt (232 KB)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2004, 6:02 AM

Post #19 of 61 (4785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gillian923] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for picking up the website initiative. I am sure having it translated to Chinese and later on Malay will help us reach a wider audience. And the translated material can also be used as handouts when we visit schools, universities and community centres.

Do pull the material from the website and as each file is created, I will either work on the links myself or find a webmaster to do it. Keep in touch.

robros
K9 Maniac

Jun 19, 2004, 2:25 AM

Post #20 of 61 (4769 views)
Shortcut

I would like to volunteer my time at PAWS. Do you think they accept walk-in volunteer? I am very good with dogs and I have brought several friends there to adopt cats and dogs. I can spare weekends only as I work weekdays. Do I have to call them first to register? Or maybe I should just pop over there and chat with the staff there.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2004, 4:09 AM

Post #21 of 61 (4765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robros] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your interest. Of course you can just walk-in. You should come in for a quick survey as to what needs to be done and determine how much time and effort you can put in.

If you intend to come in this weekend, pls ask to see the 'things do do' for volunteers that sits in the office. There is a hanging chart near the sink. Best thing to do is actually to bathe some of the dogs (I have not had a chance to do that for 3 weeks and they are starting to smell)

Run through the chart and pick up something to do. It is not a very clean or nice place to hang out, but least the dogs have a temporary home.

There is no fixed structure for volunteers to adhere to, but generally if you get to know the dogs well, you can actually help show off the dogs to potential adopters when they enquire.

I am normally around on week days.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2004, 4:13 AM

Post #22 of 61 (4701 views)
Shortcut

Week 4 puppies. I had to post up a few puppies this time around. They are unfortunately overcrowded and putting 3-4 puppies in a cage is just unhealthy. It appears that people bring in puppies and dump them at PAWS without a second thought. Do pass the poster around if you can. Thanks.
Attachments: PAWS_week4_dogs.ppt (172 KB)

jojo_wm
Novice

Jul 1, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #23 of 61 (4690 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cynhor,

Have been going through your forum. I have put up your posters in my office, in hope that some of my friends would be interested and could spread the word around too.

Does PAWS need any supplies urgently? Do let me know. I'll try my very best to help out.

I might drop by one day. Currently can't do, cause I've been travelling around quite a bit lately, because of work, even have to work during the weekends. Smile

Warm regards,
Jojo

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jul 1, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #24 of 61 (4680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jojo_wm] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!! Glad to see your post!

This is the current list of things needed in PAWS :

1) Spray paints (white, black and all other colours)
2) FRONTLINE SPRAY for ticks and fleas
3) Whiteboards and cork boards for notices
4) Paints (especially mould proof ones)
5) A bag of cement to help with repairworks
6) Bleach to clean the drains
7) Old garden furniture that is weatherproof and dog proof
8) A lorryload of SAND to level off the general compound
9) A tractor or excavator to clear the drains around the PAWS compound - overflow and flooding is a problem
10) Materials to repair the puppy pen (preferbly long pieces of wood to repair the frames, or metal bars with pre-made holes that could be put together using a nut and bolt and wire mesh)
11) A mechanic - to have a look at their old lorry and fix it

Cynthia may have an updated list. Cynthia?

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

anna_kys

Jul 2, 2004, 2:55 AM

Post #25 of 61 (4665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenix] Volunteers WANTED [In reply to] Can't Post

I will get the paint Sat. What color and how many cans do you want? I will buy as many as I can afford and bring over this Sat.

I can't stay to help as I am allergy to dust and cat and some other unknown things that gave me rashes and running nose the last time I went. Sorry!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my