IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Travelling long distance with dogs

Pat

Feb 11, 2002, 7:49 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3765 views)
Shortcut
Travelling long distance with dogs Can't Post

What is the best way to travel long distance with a dog? I know a lot of members would travel with their dogs from their postings. My dog would quietly sit in the back seat without being caged but I have never driven her long distance. How do you take breaks in the middle of your long distance journey since dog is not welcomed anywhere? How to prevent car-sickness for dogs who don't wanna be caged?
Regards,
Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2002, 7:59 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Travelling long distance with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I don't travel long distance with my dogs, I do have a few suggestions which "might" help... First of all, as long as your dog sits QUIETLY at the back, then the crate isn't really a necessity. How long will the trip be? Some people take a break every 30mins to let the dog out and give him some water as well as stretch his legs (not to mention relieve himself!). Dogs especially get dehydrated easily in cars, which is why the breaks are important.

TO reduce car-sickness, what I mentioned above might help. Also, drive carefully! DOn't speed (duh! hehe), don't zigzag around.. I'm sure you're a good driver rite? Wink

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 11, 2002, 8:03 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3762 views)
Shortcut

From Subang to Penang and back again to Subang OR from Subang to JB and back again, Is that distance long enough or?
Check your pvt message for advice later. Have to go now and feed dogs lah.

Pat

Feb 14, 2002, 6:40 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Travelling long distance with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I brought her to Johor for an overnight trip and she actually held her bladder and bowel throughout and finally released when we arrived at home in PJ! During the journey stopovers she refused to shee shee or po po. she usually feels uncomfortable doing it at unfamiliar places or when she is on leash or when she is being watched closely...strange...
Pat, David

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 14, 2002, 7:44 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Gong Xi Fa Cai.
Ya Ya Ya, By giving you all the required tips, I lost one night of boarding fees from you.
Rubberbine,= Never mind, Puppycom is here to help and friendship is more important than RM& sens.
Regards.

Pat

Feb 14, 2002, 10:47 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Travelling long distance with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Got chance one wor! I am still planning my mount kinabalu tour later. In view that my KIKI is so "ngam key" with your mid mid, I am sure she would do alright when boarding at your place. PROVIDED you do not do pedicure for her la. Ha Ha.
Pat, David

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2002, 6:55 AM

Post #7 of 8 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pat,

I used to travel with my dog everytime I am back to my hometown at Taiping from JB. Usually, I put her in her crate at the back sit of the car. I will control her water and food intake when I need to travel with her. She is ok and won't poo poo and shee shee inside the car. Also, she always like to travel in the car ... I think Wink since she liked to go into the car when I opened the car door.

I trained her since she was very young of age ... about 3 months old. Ohya ... one thing, you mentioned that you place your dog without the crate behind you, right? Then, what type of special leash you used to handle it?

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Pat

Feb 22, 2002, 6:32 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Travelling long distance with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I did not use any leash. I just reserve an area at the back seat enough for her to lie down comfortably.

Regards,Pat
Pat, David

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my